• April 23, 2024, 11:15:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Request for an updated HDD compatibility list  (Read 9429 times)

loloaqic

• Level 2 Member
Request for an updated HDD compatibility list
« on: November 14, 2011, 04:13:30 AM »

The HDD compatibility list is at least 24 months out of date (may 2009). The HDD's on that list are mostly no longer available. It would be really helpful to have this updated, since as HDD's fail, replacing them becomes a real problem, and renders my DNS-343 an expensive bookend, which is a shame, since as an archive NAS unit this still has a life.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Request for an updated HDD compatibility list
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 12:39:05 PM »

Unfortunately the HDD compatibility list is outdated for all legacy ShareCenter devices.
From experience, configuring the ShareCenter device as Standard Volumes will increase the likelihood of compatibility.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

loloaqic

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 02:12:11 PM »

The DNS-343 is a product currently advertised on Dlink web sites. I would NOT consider that qualifies it for "legacy" status. The request still stands for an updated list of currently available HDD's that are supported in this currently available unit?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 02:28:29 PM »

The DNS-343 is a product currently advertised on Dlink web sites. I would NOT consider that qualifies it for "legacy" status. The request still stands for an updated list of currently available HDD's that are supported in this currently available unit?

My use of the word legacy refers to the DNS-343 as an "older" product, not "discontinued". That said, there is a successor to the DNS-343 forthcoming.

loloaqic

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 03:50:54 AM »

JavaLawyer,
Do you represent Dlink in this forum?

There is a basic issue here. This device is a model currently being sold. The supplier has a responsibility to ensure it is fit for purpose. Picture the home user, who buys one today, only to get it home and find there are no supported HDD's currently on sale.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 06:48:27 AM »

JavaLawyer,
Do you represent Dlink in this forum?

There is a basic issue here. This device is a model currently being sold. The supplier has a responsibility to ensure it is fit for purpose. Picture the home user, who buys one today, only to get it home and find there are no supported HDD's currently on sale.

I do not represent D-Link in any official capacity, but am an active member of this forum and owner of multiple D-Link devices (including two DNS-343s). The information I am offering is based on my observations of the typical D-Link product life cycle and experience in this forum.

As an attorney, I agree with you regarding product "fitness for a particular purpose" and "warrant of merchantability" doctrines. The latest beta firmware update does include AFT HDD support, although no HDD compatibility list was offered subsequent to that release. Again, from my experience and observations in this forum, Standard Volume configurations have proven substantially more stable than RAID configurations, particularly for newer HDDs.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 06:55:35 AM by JavaLawyer »

loloaqic

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 02:46:29 PM »

Many thanks JavaLawyer. (I'll tackle Dlink support)

The use of RAID is designed to provide a measure of confidence against HDD failure, and provide larger Volume sizes. So if Standard Volumes are used, doesn't that present 4 drives to the network? How do you achieve a larger Volume size, or are you constrained to 4 Volumes of the size of the drives.

I presume there are DNS-343 users out there who are using HDD's that are not on the Compatability list. Would it be all right if I ask in a thread for user input for HDD's in use?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 03:02:05 PM »

The use of RAID is designed to provide a measure of confidence against HDD failure, and provide larger Volume sizes. So if Standard Volumes are used, doesn't that present 4 drives to the network? How do you achieve a larger Volume size, or are you constrained to 4 Volumes of the size of the drives.

I personally have all 8 HDDs configured as Standard Volumes (and thus 8 Volumes). The data from the primary DNS-343 backs up to the secondary DNS-343. I've been using this solution for 3 years without so much as a hiccup.

I presume there are DNS-343 users out there who are using HDD's that are not on the Compatability list. Would it be all right if I ask in a thread for user input for HDD's in use?

Post away, that's what the forum is for.
You may also want to search the DNS-343 board, as there were similar posts/questions in the past.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 03:11:21 PM »

I created a sticky post asking for users to post their experience with different HDD makes/models: DNS-343 - What HDDs Are You Using?

loloaqic

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 04:11:28 PM »

Thanks JavaLawyer,
I look forward to see what is being used.
Regards.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 03:24:27 PM »

The DNS-343 support all SATA II hard drives up to 2TB with the 1.05 beta code and all SATA II hard drives up to 2TB excluding drives supporting AFT (Advanced Format Technology) running the 1.04 official firmware. The tested hard drive list does need to be updated however we do not have a list of any documented hard drives that have any specific issues with the our ShareCenter NAS device currently.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 06:05:26 AM »

The DNS-343 support all SATA II hard drives up to 2TB with the 1.05 beta code and all SATA II hard drives up to 2TB excluding drives supporting AFT (Advanced Format Technology) running the 1.04 official firmware. The tested hard drive list does need to be updated however we do not have a list of any documented hard drives that have any specific issues with the our ShareCenter NAS device currently.

Is the WD AFD issue described on the following post still a valid concern on the DNS-343?
DNS-343 - Western Digital Advanced Format Drives - Read before you buy!

Is the above issue still a valid concern on the DNS-321 and/or DNS-323?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:30:32 AM by JavaLawyer »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 12:39:07 PM »

The DNS-343 and 323 current beta codes support Advanced Format drives. Official code, its still not supported.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 12:52:07 PM »

So the DNS-343 sticky only applies to V1.04 and not v.105?

loloaqic

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 04:59:29 PM »

I notice that you do NOT mention SATA 3 hard drives, yet in the latest HDD Compatibility list I received from D-Link support there are 2 SATA 3 hard drives. Is it only the performance (a 6Gb interface running at 3Gb) that would suffer from using SATA 3 hard drives, or are there other potential issues lurking?