• April 23, 2024, 12:47:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Do I open (and keep) my DIR-655 HW A4 or return it?  (Read 3921 times)

thegriff

• Level 1 Member
Do I open (and keep) my DIR-655 HW A4 or return it?
« on: February 08, 2009, 10:46:32 AM »

I almost can't believe I'm posting this since common sense would say that if I even have this question it should go back but I thought I'd ask the experts here.

I bought the 655 a few weeks ago because of a perceived need for gigabit ethernet with my new MythTV setup.  Turns out I don't really need that speed but am thinking updating my network might not be a bad idea.

Then I started reading all of the negativity surrounding hardware rev A4 and the 1.2x firmwares.

As mentioned I'll be using the 655 hardwired between my Myth server and front end.  I'll also be using wireless G to various devices and wireless B to my Wii. 

I do also run Skype on a few of the devices and on the Myth backend.

Now being that opinions are like uhhhh...belly buttons...everyone has one....should I crack open the box and begin the migration?  If so should I update the 1.20 firmware to whatever the latest is?

FWIW I got the 655 on sale at Fry's for $80.

Thanks in advance for the help!

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
Re: Do I open (and keep) my DIR-655 HW A4 or return it?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 10:38:22 PM »

hello there. I would like you to know that not everyone has problems with their router. I have not had many issues at all. None that I notice anyway. :)

Currently in the house there is 1 Xbox 360, 1 PS3, 1 Wired Desktop PC, 1 Wireless PC, and 3 Wireless Laptops. The router seems to handle this traffic pretty well. The biggest hit to network reliability is when torrenting comes into play and I must say, the router holds it's own when the computers are torrenting. It also holds it's own when streamin HD content, at least up to an encoding of 12MB/s I had problems with 15MB/s streaming using N but I think that was in part to my laptop not being able to handle that amount of video data to push to the PS3. :)

There were only a couple instances where the connection would drop but only seems to happen with the wired pc. I wasn't able to track down why that was, it's not my desktop computer so I dont know what he was doing to have it drop. I woudl say though it wold drop about 2 times per month. Lets face it, that's less than the average PC BSODs. :)

I really enjoy this router, but want to upgrade it to the dual band router plus a managed switch.