• April 19, 2024, 12:56:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Does the 505 retain it's settings?  (Read 8148 times)

Sparkadia

• Level 1 Member
Does the 505 retain it's settings?
« on: February 08, 2013, 01:35:18 AM »

So my sister is going to Japan where only an ethernet cable will be available in her room.
The only thing she will be using to connect to the 505 is her ipad.

I've setup/configured the 505 at home as an access point using our modem/router to emulate the hotel cable(just giving her a visual idea of where to plug things). I also wanted to make sure that the actual device did work.

Question is, when she takes it to Japan can she just plug it in a power socket, connect the RJ45, connect to wifi through the ipad and surf the web straight away?
Or does she have to go through the setup guide again, create the AP, password etc?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Does the 505 retain it's settings?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 07:05:26 AM »

Once the 505 is configured and settings are saved, it will keep and maintain those settings unless the reset button is selected while it's powered on.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Sparkadia

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 02:14:25 PM »

Once the 505 is configured and settings are saved, it will keep and maintain those settings unless the reset button is selected while it's powered on.
Ah thanks for your reply. Good to know! Much appreciated.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 02:26:08 PM »

Enjoy.  ;)
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

DaveUdon

• Level 1 Member
  • Retired in NE Thailand after 20 years w/NYC bank

Hi Sparkadia

I hope this gets to you before your sister leaves on her trip.

I want to caution you that although the DIR-505 retains its settings nicely, they may not conform to what the hotel ethernet connection is expecting from the 505.

For example, the hotel AP's sub-net must agree with what you have preset in the 505 -- ie, if the hotel AP is set to IP 192.168.x.y, the "x" value must have been preset in the 505. I'm going to check on my own Linksys router whether the "y" value will be auto-set on the 505 by the hotel AP (I'll get back to you). Normally, the AP needs a DHCP "request" by the 505 or any device to be joined.

Finally, for DNS (translating www.google.com to IP aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd by an outside server), if "plug-and-play" by your sister doesn't provide a valid hotel AP DNS address, or even a gateway address for that matter, she won't have internet access. I always go into the Web Menu of the 505 Router and set global OpenDNS values of 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222. in DNS 1 and DNS 2 as follows:

In Setup | Internet Settings | Manual,
Operation Type is Router
Suggest entering OpenDNS values:
     Primary DNS server       208.67.222.222
     Secondary DNS server  208.67.220.220
Save Settings

To make matters more involved (not worse, I'm an optimist), the hotel AP may be using the 2nd or 3rd set of Private IP Addresses: 10.0.0.0 or 172.16.0.0 -- 192.168.0.0 being the most popular.

It doesn't matter which settings the hotel AP is using, because your sister will probably find it necessary to do a scan of the ethernet LAN by a pin-reset of her 505.

If you agree with that assumption, then be sure she has the Apple Store QRS Mobile app (free) installed on her iPad, a paper clip handy, and write out a tutorial for her to follow to reset the Router mode.

I have posted a similar tutorial for the Hotspot mode in my post at:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=52665.msg199010#msg199010

I would also recommend her installing the Speedtest.net OOKLA app (free) to easily see if an internet connection is available (it will continuously look for a server if not, or display a message about comm. errors). She can also verify the speed available to her.

If you're interested, I might write up a tutorial for the 505 Router setup as well for my own archives.

Regards

Hard Harry

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 05:54:58 PM »

Is it possible you could contact the place she is going to stay ahead of time and see how their network is set up? Maybe get ahold of their IT?

DaveUdon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 06:58:12 PM »

Good idea, HHarry. The Japanese take great pride in their technical prowess, and I'm sure they would be willing to help.

I just unplugged the 505 from my Linksys router, and cleared its known associated clients table.
Then I plugged the 505 back in.

No internet access, and the iPad client didn't join the now-empty Linksys DHCP Clients Table.

I looked at the DNS addresses in the 505 Router Web Menu Internet Settings page, and they were still there. Then I Saved the menu page, was warned that nothing had changed, but clicked Continue.

It saved in 15 sec's and came back up.

The iPad immediately popped up in the Linksys client table, and I did have internet access. It needed the Save to initiate a DHCP request to the Linksys router.

Summary: it's not strictly plug-n-play. Your sister will have to do a pin-reset to be sure of connecting.

Regards

Sparkadia

• Level 1 Member

If you agree with that assumption, then be sure she has the Apple Store QRS Mobile app (free) installed on her iPad, a paper clip handy, and write out a tutorial for her to follow to reset the Router mode.

I have posted a similar tutorial for the Hotspot mode in my post at:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=52665.msg199010#msg199010

I would also recommend her installing the Speedtest.net OOKLA app (free) to easily see if an internet connection is available (it will continuously look for a server if not, or display a message about comm. errors). She can also verify the speed available to her.

If you're interested, I might write up a tutorial for the 505 Router setup as well for my own archives.

Regards
Hi there, thanks for your pm earlier.
Also big thanks for testing out the 505 with another network. It just occurred to me that I could've tested it out when I was in my hotel a few days ago. Much appreciated for your efforts and making me worry less.

The tutorial for the router setup would be great! I've download the QRS and speedtest app....trying to make this as simple as possible for her.

Is it possible you could contact the place she is going to stay ahead of time and see how their network is set up? Maybe get ahold of their IT?
I found out that she's traveling around the country and staying at different hotels, so this would be a troublesome task :( Really good suggestion though, so thank you.

Summary: it's not strictly plug-n-play. Your sister will have to do a pin-reset to be sure of connecting.
Yeah, I think I'll just take the safe route and teach her how to set it up. Just starting with a clean slate would be the best option when encountering different hotel APs.

DaveUdon

• Level 1 Member
Startup Router Mode from Scratch -- Dealing with Restarts
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 01:30:40 AM »

Hi again --

An aside: I was getting too frustrated with v1.06 restarts in Router mode lately, particularly when the client was far from the 505 and stressed it with data requests, or when playing with Shareport. I had upgraded to 1.06 directly from the purchased 1.03, so yesterday I flashed with the last big major update: 1.04.  That one is working out a lot better in Router mode. The 505 was up for 18 hours with 2 devices connected, so I think 1.04 is a keeper. As for Shareport, I'll drop it and stay with FTP between the iPad and my Android smartphone on trips -- connected via the 505.

Reason I mention FW's: which FW version is your sister using? Have you tried leaving it on in Router mode with a connected device to see how long it stays up? She doesn't need the stress of restarts in the hotel room without knowing how to deal with them...

I know what to expect from my 505 now, and how to react...

Using Apple or Android QRS Mobile app is very convenient and quick to create or refresh a new network. Go through that several times with her. She can use it both 1) from scratch, but also 2) when Speedtest insists that there are comm. issues in a white text message on the black area above Retry (see below).

I've found that QRS does NOT set up the hotel AP's DNS addresses in my 505 Router mode, however, so no internet. What I do then is enter dlinkrouter.local/ into Safari's URL address bar to access the Web Menu. In Setup |  Internet Settings, I click on the Manual Internet Connection Setup button, and fill in the Primary and Secondary DNS boxes at the bottom, then Save page at the top. After the reboot and re-join, I have internet.

I use OpenDNS server settings 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

That's it for setting up from scratch.

Start Router mode from Scratch Summary:
Switch in Router position and cable connected
Pin-reset (hold for 10 sec's to be sure)
iPad Wifi Off, then turn on to rescan when LED Green
Join dlink-xxxx with default pswd
Run QRS Mobile
Join new network a few min's after reboot (it may take a min. to accept connections)
Enter dlinkrouter.local/ in Safari Address bar to access Web Menu
Login with Admin & (blank) pswd
Setup |  Internet Settings | Manual Internet Connection Setup --> click
Add DNS addresses manually at the bottom: 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220
Save at top of page (reboots)
Re-join new network
Run Speedtest to confirm internet access

---------------------

Ok, suppose it restarts and she loses the connection after awhile. The LED may or may not turn Green again. She can simply unplug and replug it in and wait for the green light after a minute. That's what I do, but I don't get the hotel's Gateway and DNS after reboot. As I said before, plug-n-play doesn't quite work for me 100%.

In this case and #2 above, she doesn't have to pin-reset at all. As long as she is joined with the iPad, running QRS again will resolve the issue and the DNS addresses previously entered into the Web Menu will still be there -- but probably no internet.

What I do next to force a hotel AP DHCP Request is Save the Web Menu DNS page again, despite the 505 warning that nothing has changed. After the reboot and back to Green and re-join, I have full internet.

This has become my SOP. I would suggest a To-Do List both from scratch and from a restart. Put them as a document in her iPad Notes app for easy reference.

You might consider setting up a bookmark in her Safari browser for dlinkrouter.local/ to make life easier.

Router mode Restart Summary:
Switch in Router position and cable connected
iPad Wifi Off, then turn on to rescan when LED Green
Join whichever 505 network is available: dlink-xxxx with default pswd or new network
Run QRS Mobile    (optional, unless Web Menu cannot be accessed in Safari)
Join new network a few min's after reboot (it may take a min. to accept connections)
Open the Web Menu DNS page in Safari, but no need to add DNS addresses manually again
Save and reboot   (Continue to warning message "No changes to this page")
Re-join new network
Run Speedtest to confirm internet access

------------------------

A possible QRS glitch: I was told once that my cable wasn't connected when I had just used it in a prior session. I invoked the equivalent pre-wizard using dlinkrouter.local/. It should popup automatically for her the first time (depending on her Safari cache), but if not, then the Web Menu's Setup | Internet Settings | Internet Connection Setup Wizard (click) will do nicely.

------------------------

Another idea, since Hotspot mode works so much more smoothly, is to consider its use if there is a public Wifi signal available in the hotel. The startup would be similar (pin-reset needed to change modes), and I've found that QRS also takes care of the DNS addresses. She could use her iPad to scan for Wifi after check-in and use the Hotspot mode in her room to make it much stronger.

Your tutorials would still apply, but no need for DNS entry. Just show her how to Scan for WAP's using QRS.

Sayonara

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:16:23 AM by DaveUdon »

Sparkadia

• Level 1 Member
Re: Startup Router Mode from Scratch -- Dealing with Restarts
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 04:25:34 AM »

Reason I mention FW's: which FW version is your sister using? Have you tried leaving it on in Router mode with a connected device to see how long it stays up? She doesn't need the stress of restarts in the hotel room without knowing how to deal with them...

I flashed it to 1.06 as 1.03 didn't support iOS6. I can test out the uptime and see how it goes. If anything, I can rollback.

Cheers for the little guides. You've been really helpful and pretty much covered all the bases and scenarios.

Have a good one buddy!

DaveUdon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 05:31:00 AM »

Glad to help.

If you do rollback, make it to FW 1.05. That one looks like 1.04 + iOS6 support.

Regards

Sparkadia

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 05:17:23 AM »

Ok, so just an update from my sister.

"The red light comes on so it works as a USB charger, but it doesn't flash or go green at all when I pin reset it"

Any ideas?

DaveUdon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 06:29:26 PM »

Not much to go on here...

What is connected to what? Which mode setting?