• March 19, 2024, 12:13:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: iTunes server totally hosed...  (Read 5562 times)

starion

• Level 1 Member
iTunes server totally hosed...
« on: March 14, 2010, 11:04:45 AM »

I reported this once before, but here it is again with 1.0.8...

Has anyone ever gotten the iTunes server feature to work?  I cannot.  I have tried multiple variations, it never shows up as a shared library Mac or Windows.

Secondly, this last time, after giving up and disabling the iTunes server "feature", it hosed the GUI, caused the unit to reboot, and now half the pages in the admin won't display or are screwed up.

This is a MAJOR bug when selecting an interface item causes the unit to overwrite it's own internal pages.

I am attempting a reload of 1.0.8 again to see if I can restore it.

starion

• Level 1 Member
Re: iTunes server totally hosed...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 12:04:18 PM »

Follow up...

Reloading firmware did not solve problem.  Reloading settings did not fix.  Resetting back to factory default did.  This indicates to me that it is a settings problem.

I have looked through the settings files, but I am not seeing anything that looks corrupt.

Reloading the settings from scratch is going to be a major hassle because there is no way to retrieve customer passwords that I can see.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 01:36:48 PM »

Welcome to the club.  ::)  IMO, the fact that these NAS units don't have a better configuration save/restore is inexcusable.  They're apparently just a binary snapshot of the configuration area, so any changes with new firmware will blow your old configuration out of the water.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

Egoist

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 01:07:25 AM »

Starion, I just had the same problem as you.  I started with itunes on the 1.07 firmware.  It worked but only for about 2 gigs worth of music.  Then I "upgraded" to 1.08.  After pulling my hair out with both the builtin server and the firefly addon not working, it turned out to be a problem with one of my albums.  So I added the folders one or two letters at a time till I found the problem.  D-Link's "support" was useless.

chip chanko

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 01:59:52 PM »

If the firefly server let you pick the folder you want it to scan before it does any initial scan then it might eliminate some of these problems. You could test it better and have it only look at a Music folder rather than your entire drive (which is what it seems to default to).

Egoist

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 12:21:38 AM »

Can't do that with firefly.  it scans the entire thing.  Disable firefly, use the builtin one, go letter by letter.

chip chanko

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:28:53 PM »

I was posting that as a suggestion.