• March 19, 2024, 12:54:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Mail alerts and ftp log in 1.07?  (Read 6253 times)

McPillager

• Level 2 Member
Mail alerts and ftp log in 1.07?
« on: March 16, 2010, 11:13:43 AM »

Hello everybody,

first of all I would like to say that I am happy with my dns-323. It works as expected, it is quite and its interface is friendly and straightforward. I am saying this, after having read tons of complaints both about this and similar competitive products.

My first question is about ftp log. I've read in this forum that there is an ftp log menu and/or option somewhere available in firmware 1.07. I haven't found it yet. Anyone can enlighten me please? (I can tell you beforehand that there is no ftp log option in the Status admin page.)

The second question has to do with the mail alerts. I can't make it work with yahoo or hotmail no matter what. I've tried every settings combination possible but no luck. So please, any instructions?

Thank you very much in advance.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Mail alerts and ftp log in 1.07?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 12:01:54 PM »

Hello everybody,

first of all I would like to say that I am happy with my dns-323. It works as expected, it is quite and its interface is friendly and straightforward. I am saying this, after having read tons of complaints both about this and similar competitive products.

My first question is about ftp log. I've read in this forum that there is an ftp log menu and/or option somewhere available in firmware 1.07. I haven't found it yet. Anyone can enlighten me please? (I can tell you beforehand that there is no ftp log option in the Status admin page.)

The second question has to do with the mail alerts. I can't make it work with yahoo or hotmail no matter what. I've tried every settings combination possible but no luck. So please, any instructions?

Thank you very much in advance.

Thank you for the post and I am glad you are happy with your product. Now to your questions...

FTP Log - This was added with 1.08 firmware. If you upgrade to 1.08 and check the status > logs section there will be two options, System and FTP logs.

Email Alerts - For Yahoo I can completely understand this. They have locked down their service a lot which most users do not know. They do not allow external connections unless you pay for their Pro Service. Hotmail may be the same way I have not used it in a long time. You could always try gmail for alerts :).

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 01:07:49 PM »

FWIW, I setup POP mail from Yahoo a few months back and it works fine.  I never paid them anything.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

McPillager

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 01:13:27 PM »

Thank you for the post and I am glad you are happy with your product. Now to your questions...

FTP Log - This was added with 1.08 firmware. If you upgrade to 1.08 and check the status > logs section there will be two options, System and FTP logs.

Email Alerts - For Yahoo I can completely understand this. They have locked down their service a lot which most users do not know. They do not allow external connections unless you pay for their Pro Service. Hotmail may be the same way I have not used it in a long time. You could always try gmail for alerts :).

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
I've already lots of critical data in the NAS and I am a bit afraid with upgrading to 1.08. Is it safe enough?

As far as mail alerts are concerned, I will give it a try with gmail and will post back in this topic if I encounter any problems. On the other hand, I would very much appreciate it if gunrunnerjohn could post details on how he managed to setup yahoo.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 01:52:02 PM »

FWIW, I setup POP mail from Yahoo a few months back and it works fine.  I never paid them anything.

There was a cut-off date prior to their "Pro" service launch. FYI earlier yahoo accounts should work because they were there already using that feature. Newer accounts do not work and have been tested here. It is the same reason you can not add yahoo to your cell phones with newer accounts =\.

I urge you to try and create a new account and try it out GunRunner and tell me your results.

McPillager,

We do not touch the data on the drives during upgrade. It's no less safe then any other device upgrade as far as I am concerned.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 02:04:40 PM »

Well, I'm not going to screw with my working POP account at Yahoo! :D  I know other folks have said they can't get it working, that's probably why.

zmcmahan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 02:52:33 PM »

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
I've already lots of critical data in the NAS and I am a bit afraid with upgrading to 1.08. Is it safe enough?

As far as mail alerts are concerned, I will give it a try with gmail and will post back in this topic if I encounter any problems. On the other hand, I would very much appreciate it if gunrunnerjohn could post details on how he managed to setup yahoo.

Upgrades work very well and don't touch your data...however...if it were me, I'd have at least one backup of "lots of critical data."

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 03:41:16 PM »

Upgrades work very well and don't touch your data...however...if it were me, I'd have at least one backup of "lots of critical data."
See my signature line, I actually believe that. ;)

McPillager

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »

Sorry for bothering you again. I am now thinking of upgrading to 1.08 but I see there are differences between the firmware files available to EU and the US. More specifically, the firmware downloaded from the UK site contains a BETA version stamped 05/15/2009 while the US download seems to be the stable version with stamp: 02/17/2010. Needless to say there is no download for my country (Greece).

Why is that? Which download should I trust? Is the US download suitable for me?

Thank you in advance.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 03:24:32 PM »

The US release is the primary release for a few english speaking countries. If you outside of the united states I can not suggest that you upgrade to a US release however the US release is the latest version built by engineering.