• March 29, 2024, 05:38:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: some issues  (Read 6566 times)

ember

• Level 1 Member
some issues
« on: May 29, 2012, 08:23:48 PM »

I tried firmware ve 1.00 and 1.01B8 on 857. And  I have a USB3.0 HDD hub with 2 HDDs(2TB FAT32 & 500GB NTFS) attached to 857.Some issues and experience:

1. DLNA
I used my win7 laptop and ipad2(XBMC) to watch videos from 857's upnp sharing(DLNA). But 857 can find very few files, even lose whole folders. These files can be supported well by win7 Home Group stream media sharing. If you cant see anything in DLNA:DIR857, my experience is: resetting 857 to factory default  and reconfig it can be some help. But dont look forward to see all types of the files supported by DLNA till now.

2. Samba
Samba sharing is better than DLNA. I can use my laptop of android2.3/4.0 phone to login to my HDDs as a network neighbor. Login by 857's admin account, I can read/change/delete any files. But when I use my ipad2(5.0 ro 5.11 jailbreaked), apps like xbmc or fileexplorer can not login to 857 by admin account, or guest account with pw. Only guest account with empty pw can let me access. BTW, when mount my HDDs, FAT32 disk's transfering speed can be about 16(write)-32(read)Mbytes/s, but NTFS disk's speed is terrible  slow, which is less than half of the FAT32 disk. A little disappointed with IP8000 cpu.

3. Shareport plus
I installed shareport 4.11 on my PC and there's no problem. But the apps on IOS or android are both  useless, they just give me authentication errors time after time, whether I use admin or guest account. I think shareport apps are not fully support 857 now.

4. Operation
Admin interface is unfriendly, any configuration changes(even only change the DMZ IP) force me to reboot the device, and the rebooting time is dreadfully long. And the most important: NO backup file can be import, whether after I reseted the device, or when I try to import a bin file which just generated 5 seconds before. The backup .bin file can be opened by notepad or editplus without problem, but its maker cant verify it and give me a fail response every time.

From the above, DIR-857's firmware still needs a lot of improvement, hope we can see some progress in next firmware.Maybe dlink should consider to support HDDs' ext3/4 or exfat format. If NTFS processing capability is restricted by the chipset and linux kernel, ext3/4 should have batter performance. However,a "HD Media Router" should not has the 2GB file sizer limitaion of FAT32.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:31:38 PM by ember »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: some issues
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 11:04:47 PM »

I tried firmware ve 1.00 and 1.01B8 on 857. And  I have a USB3.0 HDD hub with 2 HDDs(2TB FAT32 & 500GB NTFS) attached to 857.Some issues and experience:

1. DLNA
I used my win7 laptop and ipad2(XBMC) to watch videos from 857's upnp sharing(DLNA). But 857 can find very few files, even lose whole folders. These files can be supported well by win7 Home Group stream media sharing. If you cant see anything in DLNA:DIR857, my experience is: resetting 857 to factory default  and reconfig it can be some help. But dont look forward to see all types of the files supported by DLNA till now.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.

Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking.

2. Samba
Samba sharing is better than DLNA. I can use my laptop of android2.3/4.0 phone to login to my HDDs as a network neighbor. Login by 857's admin account, I can read/change/delete any files. But when I use my ipad2(5.0 ro 5.11 jailbreaked), apps like xbmc or fileexplorer can not login to 857 by admin account, or guest account with pw. Only guest account with empty pw can let me access. BTW, when mount my HDDs, FAT32 disk's transfering speed can be about 16(write)-32(read)Mbytes/s, but NTFS disk's speed is terrible  slow, which is less than half of the FAT32 disk. A little disappointed with IP8000 cpu.
Have you reformatted your disks with a clean format and reloaded files? NTFS is the better format. How are these drives connected? External source or shared out? Any security SW running? Things like that, firewalls, Windows Search and back ground programs can effect file performance. Have you tried using a external network switch between the router and PCs and other wired devices? This eliminates additional router processing which the router is designed to do. Processing will always have some sort of impact on connected devices.

3. Shareport plus
I installed shareport 4.11 on my PC and there's no problem. But the apps on IOS or android are both  useless, they just give me authentication errors time after time, whether I use admin or guest account. I think shareport apps are not fully support 857 now. Possible how the router or your devices are set up could be effecting how the apps are working.

4. Operation
Admin interface is unfriendly, any configuration changes(even only change the DMZ IP) force me to reboot the device, and the rebooting time is dreadfully long. And the most important: NO backup file can be import, whether after I reseted the device, or when I try to import a bin file which just generated 5 seconds before. The backup .bin file can be opened by notepad or editplus without problem, but its maker cant verify it and give me a fail response every time. Sounds like user operation of your router is a problem. What browser are you using? I have worked with this router for a while now and don't see any issues on exporting or importing the configuration file. The admin interface is fairly easy. It's the same UI as most of the other DLink routers. You do have the reboot later option and it comes in handy when you have to do a lot of configuration, just save and REBOOT LATER. There are good reason why the reboot takes a minute. It's not that bad. Try a DIR-825 or a 655, you have to reboot after making any changes and you don't get a reboot later option.Try using IE 8 or 9 in compatibility mode. I've used Opera and Safari on my Mac and don't have any issues managing this or any other Dlink router.

From the above, DIR-857's firmware still needs a lot of improvement, hope we can see some progress in next firmware.Maybe dlink should consider to support HDDs' ext3/4 or exfat format. If NTFS processing capability is restricted by the chipset and linux kernel, ext3/4 should have batter performance. However,a "HD Media Router" should not has the 2GB file sizer limitaion of FAT32.
The FW is very stable at this time. There maybe a few items or corner cases where users seem to be experiencing some odd behavior, however over all the FW is good and others are enjoying it. There maybe good reasons why DLink has a limitation on USB drive sizes. So far my WD MyBook 2Tb USB drive is working however I don't use it connected to the router. I get better use when it's connected to my Server PC. Less hassle in this format and works better for me. Having large HDD sizes is nice, however USB still can't hold a candle to IDE or SATA speeds. Specially for streaming and working with large file sizes. If your looking for the next Peta byte size drives to connect to any poor router that has a usb port, then your barking up the wrong tree. You might want to confider your real needs of your set and and devices. There might be better ways of connecting devices and getting good performance out of them. Not trying to discourage you in anyways, just trying to be practical and offer some practical thinking. If you really think there is an issue, and after trying some of the suggestions, guess you should call Dlink customer support and talk to someone about it. Maybe someone can review your router settings using teamviwer with you and go over some items you are concerned about.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

ember

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 07:59:49 PM »

Thanks for the reply. Yesterday I update the 1.01 release FW and my android phone shareport app.

1. I tried both DHCP and static IP, and upnp/multi-cast streaming are enabled, but it seems that they have nothing to do with DLNA. The file and folders in the media server missed just …… randomly. If I reset the router and reconfig it with the same steps, the missing files would be different and I cant find any regularity. All sizes (160G/500G/2T) and both format (NTFS/FAT32) disks can just lose random files, folders, or even one of the 2 disks in my USB hub. But in samba sharing mode, nothing was missed.

2.I campared the NTFS/FAT32 performance when I attached 2 HDDs in my USB 3.0 hub, and connect to 857's usb 3.0 port. If I use a NAS connectting to the ETH port, the comparison result will has nothing to do with the router.
I read some articles at smallnetbuilder.com before, such as
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=6303
I dont know the principle, but it seems like the geeks already have a common view that the router CPUs are not good at processing NTFS. Certainly I should not expect a HDD attached router can match a ARM/Intel cpu NAS, it's only a lower cost / power saving option.

3. New version android app let me access 857 finally. In the optione menu I can input the IP and 8181 port now. But the top folders interated forever and ever, so no subfolders can be seen.
In IOS app, the IP/port part is still gray and unable to edit. And I dont know the SharePort apps use DLNA or samba or http to view the shared files. I'll check if 857 is officially supported by the apps now.

4. Thanks. I understand 857 is a powerful router so it have to take longer time to reboot. The route/switch processing is very stable.
Both my Firefox 12 and IE8.0(compatibility mode on/off) response "The restroed configuration file has beem uploaded in failure." when I tried to import the config .bin file. The only security SW I have installed is Microsoft MSE 4.0. I'll try opera and safari later.
THX, I have fix this  on my new computer. In a fresh windows I can upload the config file by any broswer now

Another advice: please add an admin timeout option in later FW. It's hard to remember to save config every 1 minute when adjust some advanced function such as Qos.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 06:05:52 PM by ember »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 07:06:31 AM »

Thanks for the reply. Yesterday I update the 1.01 release FW and my android phone shareport app. Did you follow the FW update sticky listed in the FAQ Library?

1. I tried both DHCP and static IP, and upnp/multi-cast streaming are enabled, but it seems that they have nothing to do with DLNA. The file and folders in the media server missed just …… randomly. If I reset the router and reconfig it with the same steps, the missing files would be different and I cant find any regularity. All sizes (160G/500G/2T) and both format (NTFS/FAT32) disks can just lose random files, folders, or even one of the 2 disks in my USB hub. But in samba sharing mode, nothing was missed. Ensure the USB or connection cable between the external drives are in good working condition?I would try a different external HDD and see if this happens on it? I would contact 2nd level tech support about this as well.

2.I campared the NTFS/FAT32 performance when I attached 2 HDDs in my USB 3.0 hub, and connect to 857's usb 3.0 port. If I use a NAS connectting to the ETH port, the comparison result will has nothing to do with the router.
I read some articles at smallnetbuilder.com before, such as
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=6303
I dont know the principle, but it seems like the geeks already have a common view that the router CPUs are not good at processing NTFS. Certainly I should not expect a HDD attached router can match a ARM/Intel cpu NAS, it's only a lower cost / power saving option. Possible that maybe routers aren't any good at dealing with NTFS and you also have to remember that the routers are also dealing with other things as well so performance isn't goign to be the same as if you were using the LAN port or NAS devices connected via LAN ports and using external switches which is preferred for maximizing performance between NAS devices and PCs.

3. New version android app let me access 857 finally. In the optione menu I can input the IP and 8181 port now. But the top folders interated forever and ever, so no subfolders can be seen.
In IOS app, the IP/port part is still gray and unable to edit. And I dont know the SharePort apps use DLNA or samba or http to view the shared files. I'll check if 857 is officially supported by the apps now. I would contact the app support people and see why you can seem to get any sub folders. Possible they haven't allowed for this? or just needs to be a configuration done someplace.

4. Thanks. I understand 857 is a powerful router so it have to take longer time to reboot. The route/switch processing is very stable.
Both my Firefox 12 and IE8.0(compatibility mode on/off) response "The restroed configuration file has beem uploaded in failure." when I tried to import the config .bin file. The only security SW I have installed is Microsoft MSE 4.0. I'll try opera and safari later. Any chance of testing this using a different PC to see if it happens there?

Another advice: please add an admin timeout option in later FW. It's hard to remember to save config every 1 minute when adjust some advanced function such as Qos. I would mention this with DLink if you get them on the phone. There is a time out however I haven't ran into it by using the Save and Reboot Later options.

Good Luck.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.