• April 25, 2024, 07:49:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Setting up router as Access Point  (Read 25584 times)

btfpro

• Level 1 Member
Setting up router as Access Point
« on: March 03, 2010, 08:38:12 AM »

I am trying to install the DIR-825 in a work place.  We have a server that is the DHCP. 
When I install the router it is using the 192.168.x.x IP addresses and I need it to have my local network address. 10.30.x.x.  The wan has the addresses as 10.30.x.x but I cannot get the router to be changed to those addresses.  Any ideas would be great.

bkspero

• Level 2 Member
Use the LAN port and not the WAN port to connect to the main network
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 02:48:52 PM »

I am trying to install the DIR-825 in a work place.  We have a server that is the DHCP. 
When I install the router it is using the 192.168.x.x IP addresses and I need it to have my local network address. 10.30.x.x.  The wan has the addresses as 10.30.x.x but I cannot get the router to be changed to those addresses.  Any ideas would be great.

Everything below presumes that you know how to access the router software using a web browser.  If not, there are, I believe, instructions for that in the router manual.  I am also presuming that you want to only use the router as a wireless access point and not a router.  If so, then you will need to connect it to the ethernet network using one of the LAN ports, and not the WAN port.  But first you need to change some settings.  Instructions below work for a Version A 825.  Can't vouch for vB.

Connect directly from your computer to a LAN port on the router using an ethernet cable.  Reboot the computer.  Then Log onto the router and go to the Setup/Network Settings page.  Uncheck the box next to "Enable DHCP Server".  The go to the section relating to IP address.  In the box labeled "Router IP Address" enter an IP address in your network's range.  It should not be one that will be assigned by your DHCP server (you will either need to reserve it on the DHCP server, or select an address that is in the same subnet but outside of the range being used for DHCP).  For example, if the DHCP server is allowed to assign IP addresses in the range:  10.30.X.20 to 10.30.X.200, then you might assign the router 10.30.X.19.  In the subnet mask enter 255.255.255.0.  Scroll up and click to Save Settings.

Disconnect your computer from the router and connect the router to your network via a LAN switch port (not the WAN port).  Connect the computer to the network via an ethernet cable.  You should be able to see the router by using the IP address that you assigned to it.  Log back on and configure the wireless settings and you should be able to access the network wirelessly through the router.

If you want to use the router as a router and not just an access point, then you need not change its settings.  However, it needs to have its LAN set up as a DHCP server, and any computers connected to it will have an IP address of the form specified in the 825's DHCP server settings (such as 192.168.0.X).  Connect the WAN port to your main network (10.30.X.X), and the local computers to the LAN or wireless connections of the 825.  The router will get its IP address from the DHCP server on the main network, and computers directly attached to the LAN of the router will get their IP addresses from the router.  Computers on the 10.30.X.X LAN will not be able to see computers on the LAN of the 825, and my guess is that computers on the LAN of the 825 will have limited or no access to computers on the main LAN.

I think you really want to use it as an access point, and not a router.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Setting up router as Access Point
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 12:24:40 PM »

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.