• April 27, 2024, 06:32:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: When are we getting new firmware?  (Read 45621 times)

tentimes

• Level 3 Member
When are we getting new firmware?
« on: September 18, 2009, 11:08:41 AM »

I would be grateful for any update at all from the Dlink staff. Dying here with 1.32NA and would love to know if an update is coming soon.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
Re: When are we getting new firmware?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 11:53:11 AM »

They don't give estimates when firmware will be put out.  When its ready they will post it.

tentimes

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 12:22:41 PM »

Can we not let them answer this? They might give more information. I am in no doubt that you have no idea when the next firmware might be released, but I suspect they might have a better idea, even if it's a very rough ball-park estimate.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 12:26:29 PM »

That question has been asked and answered the same way for the 2 years that I have been on this board.  No estimates on when firmware will be done.

tentimes

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 12:33:08 PM »

This istuation is a little different from the last 2 years though, we have a really troublesome firmware and I think we need an update on how things are going on the fix. No harm in asking. If you don't want to know then that's ok.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 12:38:13 PM »

It's not that I don't want to know about new firmware, it's just the way that things are done.  It's the same way with game producers, everyone wants to know when the next patch for a game is coming out.  The answer is always the same in both instances, it will come out when its done.

Also, not everyone is having trouble with this firmware, which makes doing a new one even harder.  If there was a specific thing that they need to work on, that is a lot easier to fix than some people having this problem, others having a different one and even others having no issues.

verizonfan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 04:00:38 PM »

x2 for an update.  Let D-Link provide an answer.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 06:02:00 AM »

This istuation is a little different from the last 2 years though, we have a really troublesome firmware and I think we need an update on how things are going on the fix. No harm in asking. If you don't want to know then that's ok.

No, no harm in asking. But davevt31 is just managing your expectations. The situation is not really different from 2 years ago. Like davevt31 days: there are some people with issues, not the whole population.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

tentimes

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 08:34:34 AM »

Judging by the sizeable amount of complaints both on this websites and across the internet I am minded to think a very significant amount of the userbase has problems with this latest firmware. It's a scandal frankly, and should have been addressed much more effectively. There should be regular feedback from the company on their progress on this - I would advocate weekly feedback given the scale of the issues faced.

Certainly if I am coding something for a company and there are bugs I would expect to have to give answers. They haven't even asked for peoples config files yet and it's been months now. That would have been the first thing I did if I couldn't recreate it in the lab. Unfortunately this is what you get with a global disconnect (thousands of miles) between CS/Sales and the company that engineers the firmware.

To be fair though the mods/devs on this forum don't duck the issue like many other companies would, so I have to give them their dues for that - they are always as helpful as they can be. I think this is a bad communication problem between Taiwan and the rest of the company. Just MHO.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 08:38:26 AM by tentimes »

worldgeek

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 09:35:12 AM »

I've been programming computers for the last 30 years.  We're all human.  Computer bugs are to be expected.  But the deadliest sin Dlink programmers had committed is: not allowing rollback to previous versions!  That's the dumbest to the nth degree!  You don't burn the bridge after you'd crossed. 

In software, nothing can't be reverted.  It's just will and skill.

Excuse my outburst.  I just hate to see a great router become an unreliable piece of hardware.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 10:45:40 AM »

I've been programming computers for the last 30 years.  We're all human.  Computer bugs are to be expected.  But the deadliest sin Dlink programmers had committed is: not allowing rollback to previous versions!  That's the dumbest to the nth degree!  You don't burn the bridge after you'd crossed. 

In software, nothing can't be reverted.  It's just will and skill.

Excuse my outburst.  I just hate to see a great router become an unreliable piece of hardware.

Try to grasp the kernel situation in hardware/firmware and you will soon understand why a rollback is not possible/that simple.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 10:49:38 AM »

Judging by the sizeable amount of complaints both on this websites and across the internet I am minded to think a very significant amount of the userbase has problems with this latest firmware. It's a scandal frankly, and should have been addressed much more effectively. There should be regular feedback from the company on their progress on this - I would advocate weekly feedback given the scale of the issues faced.

Certainly if I am coding something for a company and there are bugs I would expect to have to give answers. They haven't even asked for peoples config files yet and it's been months now. That would have been the first thing I did if I couldn't recreate it in the lab. Unfortunately this is what you get with a global disconnect (thousands of miles) between CS/Sales and the company that engineers the firmware.

To be fair though the mods/devs on this forum don't duck the issue like many other companies would, so I have to give them their dues for that - they are always as helpful as they can be. I think this is a bad communication problem between Taiwan and the rest of the company. Just MHO.

Getting the only configs will not do it. I can tell you they (Dlink) have tried recreating the issues on RMA-ed devices. Unfortunately they were not able to do that. This woulfd indicate that there might be a connection with other hardware devices used, either network periphirals or PC clients.

worldgeek

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 10:54:30 AM »

Try to grasp the kernel situation in hardware/firmware and you will soon understand why a rollback is not possible/that simple.

That simple?  Then there is a design flaw at the very beginning!  What is so restricted that you can't prepare a contingency "escape" route?  Engineers never expect the best to happen, but always prepare for the worst.  Didn't they teach that in engineering school anymore?

gusjohnson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 11:23:24 AM »

So they say.  A straight rollback may be problematic but I've got to believe there is a way to create an upgrade that returns the 655 to stable 1.21 functionality.  Creating that upgrade might disrupt their development pipeline but it would appear to be a faster solution than whatever they've been doing for the past several weeks in trying to salvage 1.32a.   It seems to me that DLink simply isn't treating the situation as a crisis as there probably aren't enough of us out there to justify (in their opinion) changing course. I assume that new purchasers are getting the old firmware - they should offer trade-ins to those of us stuck in this situation but I'm not holding my breath.   

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that I've gotten to the point where I need to treat it as a crisis for myself.  Particularly because DLink won't even estimate when this problem might be fixed.  This means ditching the 655 and going with something else.  I won't consider DLink on principal.  I'm thinking Apple but would be curious to hear any alternative recommendations. 

- Gus

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 09:39:34 AM »

I guess in order to facilitate a rollback to the older kernel the upgrade/downgrade mechanism needs to be changed since kernel updates are locked.  Perhaps they can do a new firmware with better downgrade abilities, I don't know. But as I remember well, the 1.2x firmware was even worse when i comes to router performance and Shareport performance. So I really would stay away from that series. 1.11 seems to be stable, but you'll be lacking a lot of features. The A4 revisions are the ones that  also need the new kernel to function properly and will not be able to downgrade to 1.11 anyway since the hardware inside is not supported by 1.11.

For me the 1.32 works like a charm (router & Shareport). So no need here to downgrade all the way back.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 09:42:36 AM by EddieZ »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6