• March 28, 2024, 06:04:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR 655 Setup Problems - Internet Connection Not Found  (Read 11582 times)

Grafxextreme

• Level 1 Member
DIR 655 Setup Problems - Internet Connection Not Found
« on: December 25, 2011, 06:24:19 PM »

This is my first attempt at a home network. I was told this was easy. Put in software, follow instructions and it works. No such luck. 8-)

I walk through the instructions on the disc. It seems to complete everything up to second to the last step when it says it's configuring the router. Then it tells me that it can't find an internet connection. Obviously I have a connection but it says none available. So, I hook my old 2wire router back and no problem with the internet connection.

I've tried installing this five times with the same result. Uninstalling the software each time, defrag registry, turning off the computer and router and starting over. Same results. It gets to the same point and then says no internet connection found.

Can't seem to get past this point.

Brand New
Model: DIR 655B1
Hardware Version: B1
Firmware: 2.00NA

I've put in two days into this. I can't update firmware because the router can't make an internet connection.

Have AT&T phone connection to Internet. Believe it's DHCP. I'm just trying to get this setup to my primary desktop. Would like to set it up to my TV and a secondary desktop. All of which are with 20ft of each other. However, for the moment I'd be happy to simply get the router to make a connection with the primary desktop.

btw: Going through the instructions, I named my network and the television did pick up the network name. Now, if I could just get the router to connect to the Internet.

Any thoughts would  be deeply appreciate. Thanks!
P.S. I'm in USA if that makes difference.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR 655 Setup Problems - Internet Connection Not Found
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 10:16:19 AM »

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router?
What ISP Modem make and model do you have?
If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems.

Some things to try:
Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/Manual? You can find these under Status/Device Info/Wan section.
Turn off ALL QoS (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices on the router. Setup/Networking
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP.

What wireless modes are you using?
Try single mode G or mixed G and N?
What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/Auto TPIK and AES.
What wireless devices do you have connected?
Any cordless house phones?
Any other WiFi routers in the area? Use InSSIDer to find out.
Turn off Short GI and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Cat6 is recommended.

Maybe someone can review your router settings with you using teamviewer.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 12:12:03 PM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Grafxextreme

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 01:06:47 PM »

Using version 5.04 of D-Link Quick Router Setup

What ISP Service do you have? AT&T DSL
Cable or DSL? DSL
What ISP Modem do you have?
None, the Ethernet cable connects directly into my computer from my router.

Stand Alone or built in router?
Isn't the DIR-655 the router? That's what I'm trying to use. Previously and what I'm now using is an 2wire (18000HW) router (ethernet) to connect my computer to the Internet/

What ISP Modem make and model do you have?
None. My current router (2wire) is connected to an ethernet from an outside phone box. It then connects to back of my computer with another ethernet cable.

What wireless modes are you using?
None, as mentioned above I don't get that far.

Try single mode G or mixed G and N?
Again, I don't get far enough into the program to make a choice. I get to the Configure Router and it states that there's no Internet connection and it stops.

What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/Auto TPIK and AES.
In looking a little further ahead I see that I have a choice of WPA, WEP or No Security. The WPA2 doesn't appear to be a choice.

What wireless devices do you have connected?
None, as mentioned before I don't get far enough to connect any wireless devices. I have a television that I will be connecting and I have another computer I'll be connecting once I get my primary computer connected. However, at this point there are none connected. Can't even get the primary connected.

I get to "Configure Router" and it asks me how I connect to the Internet. I enter "Telephone DSL" and it then asks me "Connection Type". I click "DHCP" it then checks the connection and and it tells me no "Internet Connection Detected".

I've also tried the others including "I don't know" but it continues to tell me no connection detected

Any cordless house phones?
No Phones are all landline and have filter on them.

Any other WiFi routers in the area? Use InSSIDer to find out.
Define "area". In my home, no. I have no idea what InSSIDer is and don't find it on the disc I have to install this router. I don't see it as an option anywhere in the wizard I'm using. As I mentioned earlier this is my first adventure into setting up a wireless network.

Turn off Short GI and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. UnderAdvanced/Advanced Wireless.

No idea what this is or how to turn this off. Again, I don't have this thing installed where I can make any options other than that which it asked for in the "wizard" up to the "Configuration Router". It's not one of the options in this wizard

I have no problem uninstalling the software, resetting the unit and starting over again. Just need some options to get the DIR-655 router to recognize the Internet connection. My ISP says there's no problem on their end. I have the antivirus turned off and the firewall turned off
during installation.

Thank you for your assistance.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 02:15:55 PM »

The 2wire is a modem/router combination. I've heard that some of these types of modems can't be bridged. Having 2 routers on the same line causes connection issues. I would call the ISP and ask and see if this can be done with this modem.

Also might ask them if this modem has a DMZ and put the 655 router in the DMZ.

If not, then i would suggest that you could use a network switch and a wireless AP like a DAP-1525.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Grafxextreme

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 04:52:36 PM »

I am only using the 2wire to communicate because it connects to the Internet and your equipment isn't connecting. If/when I get your equipment to work then I won't be using 2wire so there's no need for a bridge between the two. Your equipment is meant to replace the 2wire.

I'm not looking to use both. I'm looking to only use the Dir-655. The 2Wire is NOT part of my ISP any more than the Dir-655 is.

My understanding was that I plug my ISP ethernet into the Dir-655 and then plug in another ethernet wire into from the Dir-655 into the Computer and it should work. Is this not right?

Is the Dir-655 not a router? It says it is on the box. Are you telling me that it's not a router and can't connect directly to my computer? That I need a router/modem?

I can still return this to NewEgg where I got it and get something else that will do what I thought this would do. So far, it's been almost a week trying to get this thing to work.

slpip

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 06:05:34 PM »

ISP --CAT5 --DIR-655 WAN -- DIR-655 LAN--Computer.

At Internet Explorer -- type 192.168.0.1 to login the router configuration page with user name Admin, password empty.

At the setup tab, either use the setup wizard or manual configure to setup the internet connection with the ISP.

The internet connection either setup up with PPPoE or DHCP based on the ISP connection the same as your old router.

Use Dynamic IP, user name and password to connect your ISP internet connection.

Enable the wireless at the Wireless Setting.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 06:30:44 PM »

Exactly, you need to find out if the 2wire can be bridged if this is an option for this modem as it has a router built in. Bridging turns off the router and makes it just a modem. After that is done, then yes the 655 will be your main host router and use the PPPoE internet option suggested by slpip. Then the 2wire will be just that, A MODEM that connects the router to the ISP services.

This has to be done to the DSL modem or use the DMZ in the 2wire to use for 655 IP address it gets. DSL is problematic like this as some ISP use DSL modems like this to service many other options like phone, tv and internet all in one unit. Thus some of these modems cannot be bridged.

This router works well with DSL internet, just need to understand that having 2 routers on the same line will cause connection issues. This can happen on any mfr router.

Bridging 2wire modems:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/10495
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:48:50 PM by FurryNutz »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 11:39:48 AM »

Any results on this?