• March 28, 2024, 04:33:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Ethernet Control.... Is it possible???? direct control, not via Server GUI  (Read 6149 times)

da_pirate

I would like to control my DSM 520 players using commands sent via IP. I noticed the ethernet port is always on even when the player is off. I would like to assign it static IP address and send the remote commands thru IP. Much like a kaleidascape player or Escient that allows you to communicate with the player thru RS-232 or Ethernet. The commands I want to send are the same as the IR remote. I have a home automation system that controls all my devices via Ethernet or RS-232 serial protocols. IF that is not possible, does anyone know if there is a "Power On" or "Power Off" command available thru IR (Infrared Remote)?

Any help on this custom control issue would be more than appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:10:47 PM by da_pirate »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Ethernet Control??? Is it possible
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 05:31:10 PM »

The DSM-520 does have a control point option using the Dlink media server software.

To use the Control point function of the DSM-520. Turn on your DSM-520 and connect to the D-link media server software version 1.09 or 1.10. Then on your PC you will play your media files by selecting the DSM-520 unit on your network you wish to control by placing a check on the box at the bottom of the screen under Select next to your DSM-520 . Next go to the Media files tab and double click on the file you wish to play. The file should begin to play. Click the gear icon under control next to the DSM-520 for more control options.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

da_pirate

that's not what i mean. That is a good example.
In order for the player to start playing, the media server issues a play command to the player using an IP Protocol. An example would be: "\x0DPlayer.Mode=Play\x0D

The server is telling the player some way, some how to start playing, or better yet to play a file.
\x0DPlay.File=Dlink Movie File 1\x0D

Now my question is are there other commands that can be sent in order to tell the player to do other things use as, move cursor up, down, Next Track, Power On, Power Off and so on. This is how more expensive media players allow for communication such as Kaleidascape or Xperinet. The reason i am asking is so i can add control over the player using home automation system that controls many devices via Ethernet.
If there were some protocol available so intergrators like myself can offer these in custom installations opposed to Xperinet or Escient Media Player, that would be great. In the least, you need to release some discrete power infrared Codes.

Given the fact you can play with files with the server, it is not far fetched that you could release a protocol so developers could create their program for control and people like myself could integrate into Crestron or AMX (Home Automation Controllers) systems.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member

The UPnPAV Control Point spec is what you need to build to, it will work in any pure Ethernet network (no routing).  The DSM-520 should respond to any UPnPAV Control Point, meaning that if there is a module for your automation systems which implements UPnPAV Control Point then you are gold.  If there is some extension you need to that standard, then I am sorry but at this time the DSM-520 is not going to give you the control you want.  We can take a feature request, but we can not guarantee it's implementation or any specific time line for it's possible release.
non progredi est regredi

da_pirate

The UPnPAV Control Point spec is what you need to build to, it will work in any pure Ethernet network (no routing).  The DSM-520 should respond to any UPnPAV Control Point, meaning that if there is a module for your automation systems which implements UPnPAV Control Point then you are gold.  If there is some extension you need to that standard, then I am sorry but at this time the DSM-520 is not going to give you the control you want.  We can take a feature request, but we can not guarantee it's implementation or any specific time line for it's possible release.

That's some good stuff and great point in the right direction. Thanks.
My question is this, i've been looking online and can't seem to find the documentation for what i'm looking for. Do you happen to know where i can find the "strings" needed to issue the command. For example, is there a string i need to send to get the player to "play" or "move cursor up"?

I find a bunch of documenation on how it works, but nothing specifiying the actual strings used by media servers and controllers that is using the UPnPAV protocols. Also, do you know the port number the DSM-520 uses to communicate with the media server?

Thanks Again for your help and to answer your question, my automation program can issue the commands, but i have to tell it what to issue and when.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member

The port is part of the information offered during UPnP discovery.  As for the strings I do not know, I would see if you can't find a copy of the UPnPAV specification, to my knowledge they are either universal or discovered directly through that spec.
non progredi est regredi