• March 18, 2024, 07:20:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Thoughts on the new DCS 8630  (Read 7032 times)

SmartCookie

• Level 1 Member
Thoughts on the new DCS 8630
« on: July 03, 2020, 06:02:39 AM »

What are your thoughts on the new camera?  The motion recording isn’t long enough. I don’t know how to record continuously to sd card and I have found the D’link app not very easy to navigate.
On the plus side the spotlight is pretty cool.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 07:23:21 PM by SmartCookie »

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Thoughts on the new DCS 8630
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 06:59:01 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately the DCS-8xxx series cameras you cannot continuous record to cloud or SD card. This camera as well as the 8526 do have ONVIF support so it will work with DVRs and DViewCam software which "should" allow for continuous recording.

SmartCookie

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 07:42:32 PM »

Ok so I've had my Spotlight camera for a few months now and I like the fact that it has a built in hub and that it plays with the Dlink motion sensors without the cost of an additional hub. I also like the fact that I can record to SD card and that I'm not forced into a monthly subscription cost like some other cameras.
I have 5 motion sensors outside the house so that I "almost" get continuous recording, without the need for an dvr. I have my sensors wrapped in electrical tape(other than the sensing part) in order to weather proof them outside and they have worked great through rain and shine.

The new Mydlink app is really so much better than the previous one and I've been able to setup Automations and Schedules easily. My only gripe is that I've reached a limit in terms of number of events and triggers, but Dlinik techies are looking into it.

There is no integration with Samsung Smartthings which is a pity. I have been using IFTTT, but was unable to trigger the Spotlight, however, that may be a lack of knowledge on my side as I'm new to IFTTT.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 07:47:48 PM by SmartCookie »

shadango

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 02:35:44 PM »

"Unfortunately the DCS-8xxx series cameras you cannot continuous record to cloud or SD card. This camera as well as the 8526 do have ONVIF support so it will work with DVRs and DViewCam software which "should" allow for continuous recording."

WHAT!?!?

I just bought one of these and installed it and was very happy with how easy THAT was ....I had a TERRIBLE experience several years back with a DLS5220 camera....

But I bought this camera specifically because it says "records to SD card and CLOUD.

First I find out after the fact that you have to pick ONE....ok, I can live with that.

But it only records in spurts? Triggered by "humans"??

I figured it recorded 24/7 given the Ad saying "uses up to 256 gb SD card so you can record days of footage".

THIS IS NO GOOD....I just ordered a second one today thinking I was all set.

But this recording issue makes this camera darn near useless....

What are my options here??????

\I cannot seem to add it in DView....it says it cannot connect.  DView connects to my old camera just fine.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 03:52:33 PM by shadango »

consultech

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 12:06:29 PM »

I have 3 of these new gen and about 11 of the old gen. 
cons:
First off - software is directed solely at the phone market.  Many of us still prefer PC based solutions.  This alone I am not at all happy with.
Second using these for security purposes setting up the notification system is not friendly trying to scroll time and dates with fat fingers on a tiny phone screen-again PC based software - by logging into each camera- such as the old gen was much more efficient. 
Third-Dlink has not done any better with viewing footage.   Still going through tiny files with seconds of footage. 
Again the notifications are a pain on my phone going off constantly and now they are discontinuing the email notifications on the old gen.  (Mar 3 /2021)
Pros:
Much better clearer sharper images from the new camera.  Night shots are extremely clear.  Wide angle lens is great.  The alarm function is a laugh.  The light is 50/50.  Like the long power cord.  Could have done more with the bluetooth function besides setup. 

Why could they not combine the years of experience from both old /new gen rather than catering to the phone crowd?  Its too late and too big of an investment having 7 different models of cameras with these new ones taking on such a different format and all my old ones discontinued. 

I'd like to know how others are dealing with issues like the dates being unuseable etc on the old gen.