• March 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Bug with D-link DIR-882 - recovery / connecting Xbox One - switching to DD-WRT  (Read 26013 times)

SomeGuyOnTheInternet

• Level 1 Member

[I noticed Larkey has also previously experienced this issue and posted similar steps in another thread, this information really should be in the sticky!!]

Hi All,

The software on the D-Link 882 seems to be especially flaky, I experienced frequent disconnects. I was also unable to connect an Xbox One with the default settings and it stated an error of incorrect wifi password. I finally got one Xbox on with manual port settings only for it to disconnect three days later. Furthermore, port forwarding for my WD Cloud NAS failed to work.

I tried to follow the stickied guide to switch to DD-WRT and it failed several times in a row and took up a lot of my time. I purchased the router in January 2019. After much reading of similar reports, I thought I'd leave the steps I used to fix it here to save you some time. Any steps that aren't clear to you are explained in more detail in the stickied post.

1. Boot into the recovery mode by powering the router on while holding the reset button
2. Set your computer with a wired connection to the router to a static IP - I used 192.168.0.3 (disconnect other hard wired devices).
3. Navigate to 192.168.0.1, Internet Explorer and Edge both failed to work for me, I used Canary - Googles Beta version of Chrome, I imagine Chrome will work fine too.
4. Select the factory to dd-wrt file to flash DO NOT HIT UPLOAD! Hitting upload here crashed the router every time.
5. Leaving the web browser open and the file selected, turn the router off.
6. Turn the router back on whilst holding the reset button to enter recovery mode again.
6. Wait two minutes for the router to boot into recovery mode and then (using the tab you have already opened and selected the file on) hit upload.
7. Leave it to do it's thing for a while and wait for the success page, the router should automatically reboot. If it doesn't, leave it an extra 5 minutes - don't interrupt while flashing!
8. Set your computer to automatically obtain an IP address and it should then allow you to navigate to 192.168.1.1 to access a DD-WRT screen. You can update DD-wrt from the webflash now, I'm using DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 std (10/10/18) and it appears to be stable for me.

I'll describe the issue with the Xbox One in the next post....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 04:41:10 AM by SomeGuyOnTheInternet »

SomeGuyOnTheInternet

• Level 1 Member

The problem the D-link DIR-882 has with the Xbox One (XBone) appears to be related to NAT/UPNP although it reports it as an incorrect wireless password problem, even for very simple password containing only 8 lower case letters. This issue is present both in DD-WRT and D-Link official firmwares, it isn't present in the Virgin Media Super Hub 3 or in other high performance routers such as ASUS based models  (in the offical firmware or DD-WRT for ASUS) so appears to be something fairly fundamental to the D-link router.

The fix is to port forward/port trigger to the Xbox One. However, I found port forwarding/triggering to be especially flakey on the D-Link stock firmware. Forwarding several ports in the 8000 - 9500 range resulted in the port still being closed about half of the time when running a port scan with a basic web server on the other side of the port. Port forwarding/triggering on DD-WRT appears to work without issue.

Port forwarding requires a single Xbox with a static IP and forwarding the ports discussed below to the static IP address. Port triggering is a bit more useful if you might have a second or third xbox connected at a later date, even if it's just temporarily.

The ports the Xbox needs opened, I would use the triggered option if you're unsure, are :

Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)
Port 500 (UDP)
Port 3544 (UDP)
Port 4500 (UDP)

This will make a single Xbox work - even if previously it wouldn't connect to the WiFi at all!

If you have more than one Xbox, goto advanced connection settings on the xbox and change the port to something other than 3074 on each xbox, making sure no xbox or other device uses the same new port number. Add the new port number to your forwarded/triggered ports. This appears to work fine for me with 2 consoles.

Some people suggest they still have issues with this until they add a port range the second xbox in which case you need to port trigger an additional port on all of the above except 3074, i.e.
Port 88 - 89 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53-54 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80-81 (TCP)
Port 500-501 (UDP)
Port 3544-3545 (UDP)
Port 4500-4501 (UDP)

A similar problem may exist with other consoles such as Playstation 4 (PS4) but if it does, the port numbers for triggering/forwarding will be different. On a router with a decent implementation of NAT/UPNP this should all be completely automatic. I wouldn't recommend buying this D-link router to anybody because of this. However, once everything is setup with DD-WRT and correct port routing it does seem to be quite a fast and stable router. I very much begrudge having to do this manually though.

This solution will also probably fix any issues relating to a strict NAT (restrictive NAT / closed NAT).

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 04:34:30 AM by SomeGuyOnTheInternet »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

Did you review this for migrating to WRT?
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=73607.0

The issue may have not been with the DIR or FW, seen issues with wifi on xbox consoles before.
Was the xbox console tested via wired connection as well with the router? You didn't mention this.

ALso there are well known issues with MS and Instant On feature on xbox consoles. This has been known to cause many issues with networking and there game consoles. It's disabled on mine. Recommended to disable this feature.

• What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
Built in router here? If so, then this can be a cause of NAT and wireless issues if you connect a DIR router to the modem.
  • If the ISP modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works. Call the ISP and ask to see if the ISP modem can be bridged. To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged. If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ. Also check the routers DHCP IP address maybe conflicting with the ISP modems IP address of 192.168.0.1. Check to see if this is the same on the ISP modem, and if modem can't be bridged, change the DIR router to 192.168.1.1 or .0.254.
    Example of a D-Link router configured for PPPoE with ISP Modem bridged: PPPoE Configuration on a Router

2ndly, you don't need to use any Port Forwarding configurations on DIR routers for a single game console. You only need uPnP enabled. I have my xbox one connected (wired) and have zero issues.

IF the Modem is a modem only and the DIR router is the single NAT router online, then you get any game console connected. This is tried and tested over the years I've been gaming and testing routers. Both D-Link and Non D-Link routers.

Unfortunately, for two or more game consoles, D-Link as removed the ability to get OPEN NAT across the board on there routers. They removed the ability to use FULL CONE NAT and now only use Port address Restricted NAT which inhibits two or more game consoles getting open NAT while connected to a DIR router while all online at the same time playing the same time.  :(
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=65732.0
https://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21&sid=d3ed6e239472679fa0e6b4ea6f00087b

Lets review all of this before calling a D-Link issue first.

[I noticed Larkey has also previously experienced this issue and posted similar steps in another thread, this information really should be in the sticky!!]

Hi All,

The software on the D-Link 882 seems to be especially flaky, I experienced frequent disconnects. I was also unable to connect an Xbox One with the default settings and it stated an error of incorrect wifi password. I finally got one Xbox on with manual port settings only for it to disconnect three days later. Furthermore, port forwarding for my WD Cloud NAS failed to work.

I tried to follow the stickied guide to switch to DD-WRT and it failed several times in a row and took up a lot of my time. I purchased the router in January 2019. After much reading of similar reports, I thought I'd leave the steps I used to fix it here to save you some time. Any steps that aren't clear to you are explained in more detail in the stickied post.

1. Boot into the recovery mode by powering the router on while holding the reset button
2. Set your computer with a wired connection to the router to a static IP - I used 192.168.0.3 (disconnect other hard wired devices).
3. Navigate to 192.168.0.1, Internet Explorer and Edge both failed to work for me, I used Canary - Googles Beta version of Chrome, I imagine Chrome will work fine too.
4. Select the factory to dd-wrt file to flash DO NOT HIT UPLOAD! Hitting upload here crashed the router every time.
6. Turn the router back on whilst holding the reset button to enter recovery mode again.
6. Wait two minutes for the router to boot into recovery mode and then (using the tab you have already opened and selected the file on) hit upload.
7. Leave it to do it's thing for a while and wait for the success page, the router should automatically reboot. If it doesn't, leave it an extra 5 minutes - don't interrupt while flashing!
8. Set your computer to automatically obtain an IP address and it should then allow you to navigate to 192.168.1.1 to access a DD-WRT screen. You can update DD-wrt from the webflash now, I'm using DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 std (10/10/18) and it appears to be stable for me.

I'll describe the issue with the Xbox One in the next post....
[/list]
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 12:46:51 PM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Update. I have a DIR-882 now and have had ZERO issues with having two xbox game consoles online. Play different online multiplayer games. No disconnects. Both consoles are wired. One console has been connected to a wireless bridge for wireless testing.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

charlessm

• Level 1 Member

I have recently brought the D-Link 882 router and have been encountering similar disconnect issue. The reset and recovery process really did worked for me and it no longer keeps disconnecting every other time. Thanks a lot for your help : )
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 01:09:36 AM by charlessm »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Enjoy.

WALK04

• Level 1 Member

actually making some settings can have quite different results. There are some problems for Xbox. While doing the network settings, I tried a few methods and solved the event you said. I first wrote cmd from the start-up section. After that I wrote ipconfig in cmd and found out which ip address I used on the page that appeared. I was using 192.168.1.1http://www.192-168-1-1ip.com page. This made it even easier for me to adjust some settings. Then I entered the Url section, wrote the page and made my attempt. Here I provided the necessary settings for Xbox and made the modem fully compatible for Xbox.

ericlio

• Level 1 Member

I had similar problems with my Xbox. After playing around with the network settings I found out that the IP 192.168.0.1 was assigned by my router and my Xbox as well. The problem was solved after changing the IP of my Xbox.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Glad you figured it out.

Enjoy.  ;)

I had similar problems with my Xbox. After playing around with the network settings I found out that the IP 192.168.0.1 was assigned by my router and my Xbox as well. The problem was solved after changing the IP of my Xbox.

19216811vn

• Level 1 Member

Glad you figured it out.
Enjoy.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 12:12:27 PM by FurryNutz »

agalloway

• Level 3 Member

The D-Link 882 software is unreliable, with frequent disconnects and issues connecting an Xbox One. Switching to DD-WRT firmware failed multiple times and was time-consuming. Here are the steps I used to fix it:

Boot into recovery mode by powering on the router while holding the reset button.
Set your computer's wired connection to a static IP (e.g., 192.168.0.3) and disconnect other hardwired devices.
Access 192.168.0.1 using a browser like Canary or Chrome 10.0.01 pause time.
Select the factory to DD-WRT file for flashing but do not upload it yet.
Keep the web browser open with the file selected, turn off the router.
Turn on the router while holding the reset button to enter recovery mode again.
Wait for two minutes for the router to boot into recovery mode, then hit upload in the web browser.
Allow the flashing process to complete without interruption. The router should automatically reboot. If not, wait an additional 5 minutes.
Set your computer to obtain an IP address automatically, then navigate to 192.168.1.1 to access the DD-WRT screen.
You can now update DD-WRT using the webflash. I recommend using DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 std (10/10/18), which has been stable for me.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member

Had me worried, hadn't seen a SPAM post from you in quite a while.