• April 24, 2024, 07:01:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What did I do wrong?? Please help!  (Read 11597 times)

1ofthebody

• Level 1 Member
What did I do wrong?? Please help!
« on: July 26, 2009, 08:06:31 PM »

I would like someone to reply if they can tell me if I configured gamefuel correctly. Here are my gamefuel rules.

GameFuel Rules List:

1. BitTorrent :
        Priority: 255,
        Protocol: TCP
        Local IP Range: 192.168.0.196-192.168.0.199
        Local Port Range: 6881-6999
        Remote IP Range: 0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255
        Remote Port Range: 0-65535

2. Steam:
        Priority: 1
        Protocol: Both (TCP/UDP)
        Local Port Range: 0-65535

3.Team Fortress 2:

4. Call of Duty:

The way I have it I still can't have bittorrent running while playing any of the games above. What did I do wrong?

anon

• Level 3 Member
Re: What did I do wrong?? Please help!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 06:37:25 AM »

You need to lower the amount of connections the Bt is using. Lower it a lot.

V@no

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 08:21:54 AM »

If you are on XP, then you'll need EvID4226Patch.exe and increase maximum concurrent half-open connections

In my uT I have 1000 global connections and have no problems playing online games, though I limit upload speed to 1/4 of maximum possible on my connection.

P.S.
gamefule is a joke, never worked, never will. It doesn't on-fly regulate the bandwith, it statically limiting it. For example if your download speed is 10mbps and in game full priority set to 255, you'd be lucky get 5mbps. [EDIT]I was wrong, it's my second computer where I tested the speed had miss configured lan port.[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 07:05:23 PM by V@no »

1ofthebody

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 11:52:09 AM »

So if gamefuel doesn't work than what is the difference between this router and my old wrt54g Linksys router? What a joke on me! :-[     I just got robbed for 200 bucks!

anon

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 04:37:46 PM »

...this may sound crazy, but there was a time when the dgl-4500 was seen as a very good stable router.

almost sounds like i'm trying to play a joke on you...

i'm not.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 05:04:58 PM »

Your last 3 GameFuel rules will overlap.  You only need one of them since all three are exactly the same as far as protocol, ports and IP addresses.  Just rename it to gaming, and delete any two of your choice.  Setting at priority of 1 is not a good thing.  Remember, the GameFuel ONLY affects upstream.  So, if you don't have enough upload then GameFuel won't help.  Setting the priority too high can also cause problems.  More dropped packets and segmenting.  I suggest no higher than 64 for priority on your network.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »

If you are on XP, then you'll need EvID4226Patch.exe and increase maximum concurrent half-open connections

In my uT I have 1000 global connections and have no problems playing online games, though I limit upload speed to 1/4 of maximum possible on my connection.

P.S.
gamefule is a joke, never worked, never will. It doesn't on-fly regulate the bandwith, it statically limiting it. For example if your download speed is 10mbps and in game full priority set to 255, you'd be lucky get 5mbps.

Please know what you are talking about before you spout off a load of crap.  Again, download speed DOES NOT get affected by GameFuel.  If you knew what the f*** you were talking about, you'd know that.  If your speeds get cut in half THAT much, then it's a problem on YOUR end.  Not the router.  GameFuel does work, and sets the priorities correctly, under the assumption that the user isn't a twit who understand the protocols and how to configure it properly.  So, don't go around misinforming other users.

V@no

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 07:10:19 PM »

Please know what you are talking about before you spout off a load of ****.  Again, download speed DOES NOT get affected by GameFuel.  If you knew what the **** you were talking about, you'd know that.  If your speeds get cut in half THAT much, then it's a problem on YOUR end.  Not the router.  GameFuel does work, and sets the priorities correctly, under the assumption that the user isn't a twit who understand the protocols and how to configure it properly.  So, don't go around misinforming other users.
Sorry, my bad, just tested again and it turned out it's my second computer which I set to 255 priority actually had wrong settings in network adapter. (edited my previous post)

On other thought, you are correct about game fuel doesn't affect download speed, and when one computer take up whole download bandwidth all your gamefuel become useless...

1ofthebody

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 09:13:24 PM »

Thanks reinvented, I'll try that out and post any results.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 09:43:06 PM »

Thanks reinvented, I'll try that out and post any results.

What is your ISP?  And what is your line rated for?  Depending on your upload and settings for uTorrent, that will determine what gets flooded and killed.  If you are downloading a lot, it may stop responding and raise latency.  Bandwidth for games require both inbound and outbound traffic.  GameFuel only regulates upstream packets to game servers or peers. 

wired203

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 01:32:38 PM »

I had a similar situation however was using newsgroups,  your best to know what your DL cap is and then take your downloading program of choice and set it's DL speed cap below that with enough overhead.

Now torrents you can use gamefuel to limit your outbound speed of the torrents using the QoS of it to reserve game upload bandwidth.

I had really hoped it would throttle the DL speed with like a delayed TCK Ack but sigh it doesn't do that.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 02:17:55 PM »

I had a similar situation however was using newsgroups,  your best to know what your DL cap is and then take your downloading program of choice and set it's DL speed cap below that with enough overhead.

Now torrents you can use gamefuel to limit your outbound speed of the torrents using the QoS of it to reserve game upload bandwidth.

I had really hoped it would throttle the DL speed with like a delayed TCK Ack but sigh it doesn't do that.

The only reason I can assume that they can't implement a download throttling or packet prioritizing on it would be due to a low amount of memory.  Having to constantly prioritize the packets requires a lot. 

arod

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 03:15:42 PM »

Reinvented knows whats up!  8)

V@no

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 10:28:31 PM »

The only reason I can assume that they can't implement a download throttling or packet prioritizing on it would be due to a low amount of memory.  Having to constantly prioritize the packets requires a lot. 
But for nobody needed captcha feature there is enough memory?

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 10:16:06 AM »

But for nobody needed captcha feature there is enough memory?

To run a CAPTCHA script, it would require roughly 500KB of memory tops.  I don't know the schematics of the router, however I'm going to assume that it has about 4MB's of memory to use, and 4MB's of flash. That isn't a whole lot to work with. 
Pages: [1] 2