• March 28, 2024, 11:31:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Very stange VNC Port Forwarding problem  (Read 4684 times)

pawprint_net

• Level 1 Member
Very stange VNC Port Forwarding problem
« on: November 01, 2010, 06:24:49 PM »

I have a DIR-615 I was attempting to forward VNC ports to a computer at 192.168.0.101 (I already have other virtual server ports working on 81,82)

I went to port forwarding added 5500, 5800, 5900 forwards on one line (basically just like is suggested here: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DIR-615/VNC.htm
 and saved settings...

Upon doing this all traffic from behind the 615 lost connection to the internet, all inbound traffic stopped at the 615 (I could still access it to admin from inside and outside but it was acting like a solid wall for all traffic attempting to get through) The really odd part was that now I could access it to admin from port 80 OUTSIDE despite the fact that the remote admin port was set to 8080 (I even tried changing that to 8888 and still could only connect on 80)

We tried resetting it and no change.

So I removed the VNC port forward entry and instantly everything was fine again (including being back to 8080 for remote admin)

Any idea what on earth is going on here?

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
Re: Very stange VNC Port Forwarding problem
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:29:36 AM »

On the port forwarding, did the entry have the IP address of 192.168.0.101 and not a "blank" address?  It should have worked.

pawprint_net

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 11:37:14 AM »

yes it had the 192.168.0.101 as the IP.

I'm quite sure it "should" have worked - I have another of these routers and I tried something similar here and the same problem manifests - I believe it has some sort of a software bug if you try and forward ports 5500,5800,5900

I tried doing all three of these individually and the bug doesn't manifest - unfortunately the forward also doesn't work.

Does anyone have VNC forwarding successfully through one of these devices?

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 12:23:15 PM »

It seems that D-Link is a company where you can combine ports in the port forward configs.  My current Netgear (my D-Link routers are "dumped") does not let me combine the ports.

rkg22

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 03:48:46 PM »

yes it had the 192.168.0.101 as the IP.

I'm quite sure it "should" have worked - I have another of these routers and I tried something similar here and the same problem manifests - I believe it has some sort of a software bug if you try and forward ports 5500,5800,5900

I tried doing all three of these individually and the bug doesn't manifest - unfortunately the forward also doesn't work.

Does anyone have VNC forwarding successfully through one of these devices?

hi folks...

i'm new to this forum but wanted to let u know that i am using both rev c and rev e versions successfully with VNC port forwarding...  i'm using tightvnc, and am forwarding ports 5900 and 5901 to 2 different machines on the LAN side...

i also need to say that i too have issues with remote admin, with the router greying out all fields.  when this occurs, i must log in as admin from the LAN side, make a change, and then the next time i do a remote admin login, all is ok...  this kind of defeats the purpose of remote admin, so i'm hunting for a fix...

rgds,

ron g...