• March 28, 2024, 09:47:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Link Speeds  (Read 10224 times)

tenmast

• Level 1 Member
Link Speeds
« on: September 18, 2008, 07:47:16 AM »

Our xstack shows in the drive information that the drives support 3GB/s speeds, but the actual link speeds are all 1.5GB/s how can I get the drives to operate at the higher speeds.

cpoole

• Level 1 Member
Re: Link Speeds
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 11:08:29 AM »

I am curious about this also... The systems should be able to support SATA II devices as that is all that is available in the larger drives. Yet all my drives are at 1.5

arod

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 10:14:45 AM »

Please reference this link from wiki and check out Sata 3.0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

cpoole

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 02:04:24 PM »

Ok I read it, infact I'll copy a chunk here, but this does not answer the question as to why the XStack sees the drives as 1.5 and NOT 3.0.  How can this be configured? Am I losing half my available throughput?

SATA 3.0 Gbit/s
Soon after SATA/150's introduction a number of shortcomings were observed. At the application level SATA could only handle one pending transaction at a time like PATA. The SCSI interface has long been able to accept multiple outstanding requests and service them in the order which minimizes response time. This feature, Native Command Queuing (NCQ), was adopted as an optional supported feature for SATA 1.5 Gbit/s and SATA 3.0 Gbit/s devices.

First-generation SATA devices were at best a little faster than parallel ATA/133 devices. Subsequently, a 3 Gbit/s signaling rate was added to the Physical layer (PHY layer), effectively doubling maximum data throughput from 150 MB/s to 300 MB/s. SATA/300's transfer rate is expected to satisfy drive throughput requirements for some time, as the fastest desktop hard disks barely saturate a SATA/150 link. A SATA data cable rated for 1.5 Gbit/s will handle current second-generation SATA 3.0 Gbit/s drives without any loss of sustained and burst data transfer performance.

tenmast

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 06:11:56 AM »

I too looked into the wiki and I did not find anything that would help with the prolbem that I am seeing with our 3200. What do the engineers think about this issue?

jupiter

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 03:03:29 PM »

the fastest desktop hard disks barely saturate a SATA/150 link. A SATA data cable rated for 1.5 Gbit/s will handle current second-generation SATA 3.0 Gbit/s drives without any loss of sustained and burst data transfer performance.

You answered the thread your self

rlescaille

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 02:29:05 PM »

Make sure you check your jumpers. Most Seagate drives come set to 1.5 GBbit/s by default. I wouldn't be surprised if other manufacturers do the same to ensure the drive works on an older machine.