• April 22, 2024, 11:27:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: No network link light when I move my NAS to another switch?  (Read 6489 times)

dags

• Level 1 Member
No network link light when I move my NAS to another switch?
« on: March 09, 2010, 08:29:20 PM »

I have a weird issue and did not find anything in the forum so far. 

I have my 343 connected to a D-link DGS-1005D switch and everything is great.  The issue is that when I try connecting it to any other switch (trying to move it from my office to my data rack in the basement) like my DGS-1008D I get no connection or even a link light?  It's like the 343 will only work on the first switch that I connected it to when I first set it up.

Has anyone seen this or have any ideas what could cause this? Puzzled.

TimeZlicer

• Level 2 Member
    • TimeZlicer
Re: No network link light when I move my NAS to another switch?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 02:22:02 AM »

to eliminate the odds,
try to use the same cable to connect the DNS-343 to DGS-1005D
then bring the DNS-343 and the same cable to your basement and connect to the other switch

if this does not work,
try to use the same cable and connect to a laptop to DGS-1005D
then bring the laptop and the same cable to your basement and connect to the other switch

if both test are the same (i.e. no connect to the other switch in the basement and connection to DGS-1005D is OK)
it means that the switch in the basement is faulty...

I have a weird issue and did not find anything in the forum so far. 

I have my 343 connected to a D-link DGS-1005D switch and everything is great.  The issue is that when I try connecting it to any other switch (trying to move it from my office to my data rack in the basement) like my DGS-1008D I get no connection or even a link light?  It's like the 343 will only work on the first switch that I connected it to when I first set it up.

Has anyone seen this or have any ideas what could cause this? Puzzled.

dags

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 03:36:41 PM »

Its not the switch.  I have 2 DGS-1008D, one next to the DGS-1005D in my office where the 343 is connected and the other in the basement as mentioned above.

I have multiple devices plugged in on all switches and I have tried multiple combination of cables, switches and ports.

The 343 will not work on either DGS-1008D that I have on any port.  It's really bizarre but thank you for th reply because it would not be the first time where I miss the obvious LOL

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 08:00:46 AM »

@dags:

Any success on this one?  At first I suspected that the problem might the NIC speed of the DNS-343 could be set to a specific speed/duplex; but after looking at the specs on the DGS-1005D switch I see it's Gigabit as well.

Have you tried turning off the DNS-343, releasing the IP Address from DHCP, moving it over to the new location, and powering it back on?

Cheers,

dags

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »

Yes the problem still persist  >:(

I tried going to DHCP from static but the problem remain that when ever I plug the NAS into any other switch then the DGS-1005D I get no link light and the NAS front panel says not connected.  I am currently finishing my basement for a home theater and media room so I will give it another go at troubleshooting this one once I'm ready to set everything back up.

Thanks for the support thus far.

Dags

mrken30

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 10:01:45 AM »

I know this is a really old post but I am getting exactly the same problem with my Buffalo NAS