• April 19, 2024, 02:06:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Website filtering.  (Read 8049 times)

fmenton66

• Level 1 Member
Website filtering.
« on: February 23, 2008, 11:24:06 AM »

Hello. I have a DIR-625 Version A2 F/W 1.09. I was wondering if anyone is using website filtering with the DIR-625. My question is how do you filter websites that you do not want to allow devices on your network to have access. The way it looks to work on the router you set up a list of websites that you want to allow users to access. However, in the documentation for the DIR-625 it says "Website Filters are used to deny LAN computers from accessing specific web sites by the URL or domain." Has anyone figured out how to do that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JHK

• Level 3 Member
Re: Website filtering.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 09:25:16 AM »

First, you need to create the list for the Website Filtering then save the settings. Then you need to click on the Access Control to apply the Website Filtering for particular machines base on their IP or MAC. You may also enable the schedule from the Access Control. Just ensure you properly setup the Time Settings from the router interface.
When you run the Wizard for the Website filtering, on Step 4 there are three options to Select Filtering Method.
a. Log Web Access
b. Only Block All Access
c. Block Some Access

If you have these steps and still have the few questions, please let us know.
Life is cool! :)

fmenton66

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 08:58:49 AM »

mpcshop -

Thanks for the reply. The only problem is that on my router (Version A2 firmware 1.09) the only option is to create a list of sites that users are allowed to access, not websites that are restricted. Here is what it says on the Website Filter setup page:
"The Web Filter option allows you to set up a list of allowed Web sites that can be used by multiple users. When Web Filter is enabled, all Web sites not listed on this page will be blocked. To use this feature, you must also select the "Apply Web Filter" checkbox in the Access Control section.

There is no way I can create a realistic filter of all of the websites that I want to allow access to. I see that on the Version C routers, you can select whether the website filter should be "Allow Access" or "Deny Access".

JHK

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 09:22:29 AM »

..hence all Web sites not listed on this page will be blocked.

You would allow only few websites (ie: Company public website and Company private sales website). But for blocking, you generally want to block a family of websites (****, social networking, competitors, auction sites, news portals) and since it isn't practical or easy to know all the sites that fit into the group and list all 12 million of them in a block list, you just list the 1-10 sites it is fine for your networked computers to go to. Outside of that you need a net nanny / layer 7 / content blocker. We can also look into the DSD-150. D-Link’s SECURESPOT Internet Security Adapter (DSD-150) is a complete all-in-one Internet security solution that provides several key features including network protection, firewall protection, virus protection, spyware protection, identity protection, pop-up blocker, SPAM blocker, and parental control - all in a palm-sized box. Provide around-the-clock protection for your data and personal information with the SECURESPOT Internet Security Adapter.
Life is cool! :)

Qev

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 11:17:15 AM »

That doesn't explain why the C firmware version will do what fmenton66 is asking, but the A1/A2 versions of the same device have not been made to.  "Buy another piece of hardware from D-Link" isn't what I call a reasonable solution here, where a firmware update would be.

fmenton66

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 06:45:28 AM »

Qev is correct. Adding another piece of hardware is not a solution that I want to pursue. The version C firmware will do exactly what I want to do, however this feature has not been added to the updates to the Version A firmware. This is a home network and I only wish to block about 4 or 5 websites initially and add sites as I need to.