• March 29, 2024, 07:28:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Problems removing a hard drive from DNS-321 & using it in a HDD Enclosure  (Read 3847 times)

NCguy41

• Level 1 Member

I am preparing to upgrade my 2 DNS-321 drives to larger drives. I have removed the smaller drive (500GB) and want to use it as stand alone USB drive for my laptop. When I put the drive into a HDD Enclosure and plugged it into my Laptop USB port, the drive does not show up in MY COMPUTER. The laptop does recognize there is a USB device attached as I can see the drive (without a letter assigned to it) under disk management.

How do I get the laptop to recognize the drive and assign a drive letter to it?

Is there some procedure I should have used (dismount the drive while in the DNS321?) before I removed the drive from the 321? I can't believe the drive will now only work inside the 321. That would make no sense to me.

Any suggestions on a procedure to remove a drive from the 321 and perpare it to be used as a USB drive?

Thanks.

ranran

• Level 1 Member
Re: Problems removing a hard drive from DNS-321 & using it in a HDD Enclosure
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 06:18:03 PM »

The DNS-321 formats the drive as ext2 or ext3, a non-windows native format.

You'll need to open up Computer Management and go to Disk Management, and then find the drive listed there.  Just right click -> format -> NTFS or FAT32 and you should be good to go.

WARNING: this will DELETE all the data on the drive.

NCguy41

• Level 1 Member
Re: Problems removing a hard drive from DNS-321 & using it in a HDD Enclosure
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 06:56:11 PM »

Thanks. I will give it a try in the next few days and report back here. I am sure I'm not the only one with this issue.