• March 28, 2024, 10:30:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: bitTorrent kills the router?  (Read 25921 times)

tipstir

• Level 3 Member
    • Tipstir's LAN ZONE
Re: bitTorrent kills the router?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 11:30:29 PM »

For those here who are reading this post, to get the best speed from BT and your network without LAG on the other network nodes (devices) for those of you who are not net savvy as yet.

This is how I setup my DIR-655 A3/1.11 with external unmanaged 8-port switch with 96KB packet buffer for each node (device) connected

There are 2x 8-port switches additional throughout the place. BT, network streamers and wireless all going off at the same time with no problems.
LAN Zone | Twitter @ tipstir | Youtube @ tipstir | Facebook @ tipstir

DIR-655 A3 1.11 APNs | DP-301U (3x)

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 10:02:47 AM »

Most people don't have a 96kb packet buffer in their network hardware. The solution I was giving was for the router, obviously if you have a hardware flow control device, you're going to be ok.

tipstir

• Level 3 Member
    • Tipstir's LAN ZONE
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 01:34:06 PM »

Most people don't have a 96kb packet buffer in their network hardware. The solution I was giving was for the router, obviously if you have a hardware flow control device, you're going to be ok.

Well true, but DLINK should encourage users to get external switch to attach to this router or any of the routers they sell. I find this problem with most routers on the market. What's DLINK 8-port switch packet buffer Green model? Users could use that or the Gig switch version.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »

The idea is a one device solution. Most people are not going to spring for a second device unless they absolutly have to.

The point is that Tipstir's tip is handy, if you have flow control on your switch. Otherwise, follow the FAQ.

mikeh

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 04:29:12 PM »

It appears that RadyR and myself are having the same problem.  We have both tried adjusting the QoS (as recommended in the FAQ that has been suggested), however the router continues to drop connections (with and without wireless on).

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 05:29:13 PM »

What is the make and model of your modem? Also who is your ISP?

mikeh

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 05:46:23 PM »

My modem is a Speedstream 6520 and my ISP is Aliant, a division of Bell Canada.  The 6520 is setup as a bridge and the DIR-655 receives a dynamic IP through a PPPoE connection.

tipstir

• Level 3 Member
    • Tipstir's LAN ZONE
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 12:39:30 PM »

My modem is a Speedstream 6520 and my ISP is Aliant, a division of Bell Canada.  The 6520 is setup as a bridge and the DIR-655 receives a dynamic IP through a PPPoE connection.

What I have pictured is what I had with DSL and Speedstream 63xx modem.  Prior dlink router and dlink 5-port switch.

Below is how I had finally setup to get around the DSL woes..

NID - network inferface device or modular phone connection box (one line filter goes into this box) download speed will increase by 100%
NID is different you need to tap into the main line as show above using a phone junction box these are cheap and use it with a pair of cat 5e cables which you cut off the ends. Connect to the screws on both ends and then run a line which would be for the modem Cat 5e Ultra phone cord to the modem.

need one of these to the modem
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 12:44:07 PM by tipstir »

igorce

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 06:10:01 AM »

I have dsl-360r modem and adsl 3mbit/sec.
I have a very limit download speed connection, which results in message that port is closed.
How should I set port in dsl-360r in order to receive bes connection speed?

brichter45

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 03:45:49 PM »

I also had recurring disconnects when i ran my uTorrent client. Make sure that you set the total global connections to a reasonable level. I had to set my global connection limit to 200 which was plenty for what i need anyways. just a thought. Play around with your connection settings in the bitorrent client. I also only have one file downloading at a time. haven't had a problem since i made these changes.
Pages: 1 [2]