• March 29, 2024, 07:48:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 1.06 AV UPnP and Win Media Player  (Read 4753 times)

zehninguem

• Level 2 Member
1.06 AV UPnP and Win Media Player
« on: December 31, 2008, 09:26:23 AM »

Why my DNS-323 with AV UPnP enabled does not appear at Windows Media Player but if I disable the AVUPnP and install Townky I can see the DNS-323 as a media player?

Does somebody has any clue.

Just in case somebody asks, I reformated the HD and reinstalled the firmware to be sore to na NO conflig with a Twonky installation.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: 1.06 AV UPnP and Win Media Player
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 09:45:38 AM »

You are looking at a list Media players that will work with the WMP11 media server function not media servers. WMP11 is working as a media server as well and has no use for other media servers. You will want to just map the DNS-323 volumes to you PC and just play files right out of the folders.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

zehninguem

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 09:49:31 AM »

Nope I want to use WMP as a media client as I can do if I use Twonky as a media server running on the DNS 323. I would prefer to use the included media server (in the firmware) but I can not figure out why it is not discovered  as a media server by WMP11 as Twonky is.

I know that WMP can work also as a media server but as you know the Vista version is also a media client.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 10:57:03 AM »

Are you looking under Library then Media Sharing in WMP11?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

zehninguem

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 12:00:14 PM »

Yes

BTW, this issue was there also with the older firmware. What seems is that the AV UPnP is not really 100% in agreement with DLNA as it should be. Vista and WMP11 do not see it as a media server. They are both able to see another machine running WMP11 as a server as a media server and also a second DNS 323 running twonky as a media server. I would like to be able to use only DNS 323 without a third party software. As I said I was expecting to have this issue solved with the new firmware.

If this is a limitation of the AV UPnP used by the firmware (together with others as for example not being able to select different folders for different kind of media, would be able to aim for a better AV UpnP for version 1.07? Looks like that the actual one is too limited not being full DLNA and weak in configuration options.

Thanks

BTW, the access to samba shares seems a little bit faster with this new version of firmware