• March 28, 2024, 11:17:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: File Permission Changing from Win XP Pro - Please Help !!!!!  (Read 6004 times)

steve02usa

• Level 1 Member
File Permission Changing from Win XP Pro - Please Help !!!!!
« on: December 23, 2009, 12:16:06 PM »

Hello Everyone -

I have the DNS-323 firmware 1.05 with Raid and 2/500GB seagate drives.  Everything is running very well and the unit has performed perfectly for 2 years.  No issue, no over heating, always available on my network.  A very reliable piece of equiptment from DLINK!!!

Today I am having an issue with file properties.  I have a Window XP Pro machine, and a Win 7 64bit machine.  Both machines can create folders/files on the DNS 323 device.  My problem is "How can I change the attributes for the Folders/Files on the DNS 323"?  When I am on Win XP Pro, I click on Properties for the folder on DNS 323, and it shows READ ONLY.  When I try to change the access to allow EVERYTHING, it will not change.  It reverts back to READ ONLY for everyone trying to access the folder.

How can I change the attribute to UPDATE for everyone?  I want to be able to allow EVERYONE Update to the specific folder on the DNS-323 regardless of there Userid.  Where can I change this?  I've tried under DNS-323 and it does not seem to make any difference.  Any assistance someone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 12:23:52 PM by steve02usa »

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
Re: File Permission Changing from Win XP Pro - Please Help !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 12:33:14 PM »

Hi steve02usa,

AFAIK, folder permission changes from Windows, Mac, etc. will not function; permissions on folders must be handled by means of users/groups within the DNS device.

As an additional "heads up" ... some members of the forum have reported loss of access to the contents of a folder once touched via Windows, Mac, etc. - I personally have not experienced this issue.

HTH,

steve02usa

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 01:47:02 PM »

Thank you for the reply.  I appreciate the assistance.  It is really frustrating the problem I'm encountering.  As I said, I can access my DNS-323 from other computers and can create folders / files.  I use the userids/pw that I've created on DNS-323.

I now have an HP L7680 printer connected to my network that has the ability of scanning documents and writing them out to a folder/file to any computer / device on my network.  This is where I'm having problems.  I have already created the Folder on my DNS-323 with one of the Userids I've created on DNS-323 that has admin rights.  It was created as Read/Write authority.  On the HP L7680 I have specified the complete path to the directory on DNS-323, including the login userid/pw for the user that created the directory.  When I try to scan and write to the directory, the HP L7680 fails stating the folder is "READ ONLY".  If I point the HP L7680 to another computer / folder, then it scans and writes with NO ERRORS.  I would think that writing to the DNS-323 should not be this difficult!!!!

If anyone has any additional suggestions as to how I can resolve this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for taking time to read and respond.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 03:29:20 PM »

Haven't looked at the documentation for the HP L7680; are there options in the HP L7680 to specify a folder without specifying credentials?  Also, what firmware are you running on the DNS?

On the assumption that you haven't changed the permissions on Volume_1 and that it is still assigned to Everyone, try a quick test by setting the HP L7680 scan path to:

\\<DNSDEVICENAME>\Volume_1

and/or

\\<DNSDEVICENAME>\Volume_1\Test

If the scan occurs as expected, it could be an indication that the folder you have shared may be assigned as Read Only in the DNS interface. 

If the scan fails, is may be an incompatibility between authentication mechanisms - i.e. may not be possible.

Lastly, from the content of your last post, I suggest changing the subject on the First Post of this thread to something similar to:

"Authentication Issue for HP L7680 Scan Path to DNS-323"

HTH,
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 03:32:37 PM by hilaireg »

steve02usa

• Level 1 Member
Re: Authentication Issue for HP L7680 Scan Path to DNS-323
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 03:52:51 PM »

Hello Hilaireg

Thank you for the reply.  The firmware is 1.05 for the DNS-323.  I have hesitated updating firmware because I've been reading issues where there have been problems.  If it works, leave it alone.....

I have run the different tests you indicated and they all failed.  The error keeps indicating the folder is "READ ONLY".  Yet I can write to the folder from any other computer with no failures.  I've also specified the same logon credentials on the HP L7680 as is being used by the other machines.  Also the HP L7680 can scan/write to any other computer on my network with no errors.

This one has me stumped!!!

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 04:02:22 PM »

Hi steve02usa,

RE: filesystem

The DNS-323 file system is Linux-based (EXT2) with Samba support so as to allow transparent read/write from systems that are Windows or Mac.

RE: firmware

I recommend moving to firmware 1.07; there were some improvements to the Linux kernel (and possibly samba) that may help resolve the issue.

Make sure to backup your data (just in case) prior to updating the firmware ... been running 1.07 for months with no issues.

Typically, I note the settings in the DNS prior to the firmware update, apply the firmware update, reset the DNS to factory defaults, and manually reassign the settings.

HTH,

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
UPDATE: Multi-Function Scan to DNS
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 04:21:31 PM »

Hi steve02usa,

Just tried scanning from my HP OfficeJet 9130xi to my DNS-323; no go ...

Settings I tried:

DNS-323

Share: testscan
Path: \\DLINK-AA9999\Volume_1\testscan
Comment:
Opslock: No
Map Archive: No
R/W: Yes

** There are no users/groups configured in the DNS

HP9130xi

Sharename: DNS323
Folder Path: \\192.168.0.1\testscan
Username: admin
Password: <passwordfordns>

Folder Path: \\192.168.0.1\testscan
Username:
Password:

Folder Path: \\DLINK-AA9999\testscan
Username: admin
Password: <passwordfordns>

Folder Path: \\DLINK-AA9999\testscan
Username:
Password:

** This works without issues when scanning to my Active Directory enabled test server.

HTH,

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 04:34:04 PM »

I've been running with the 1.08b8 here, and I've seen no issues with any version of Windows.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 05:28:30 PM »

The issue is actually configuring the HP L7680 "Scan To Network Folder" feature to scan to a shared folder on the DNS device.

From what I've tested ... the "Scan To Network Folder" feature is not compatible; a few searches on the Internet seem to indicate that SAMBA is not supported by this HP feature.

HTH,

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 05:31:40 PM »

Network scanning with a USB printer is rarely supported in any fashion.  Typically, if you share a multi-function printer/scanner in Windows, you can only use the print feature from other workstations.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 07:36:30 PM »

Agreed;

In this case however, the HP L7680 and my HP OfficeJet 9130xi are network printers - i.e. they have an Ethernet adapter so as to allow them to be used as network devices as opposed to USB/Parallel.  What the OP is experiencing is a failed authentication by the HP device; which I can replicate using my HP device.

As I have already noted, a quick search on the Internet using keywords "scan hp network folder samba" seem to indicate that the HP network implementation is not compatible with SAMBA.

Cheers,

« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 06:00:41 AM by hilaireg »

steve02usa

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 08:25:07 PM »

Thank you Hilaireg and everyone else that has responded.  I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond and help out.  That is what makes this forum so great!!!!!  I'm also glad to see that Hilaireg was able to re-create the same results with his printer.  Maybe one of these days HP will become compatibile with SAMBA....  I guess until then, I will just have to scan/write to another computer on my network.  Bummer !!!

Happy Holidays to everyone !!!!