• April 24, 2024, 05:32:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Raid1 with similar but different drives  (Read 2244 times)

gatorf

• Level 1 Member
Raid1 with similar but different drives
« on: July 28, 2011, 03:22:02 PM »

Hello everyone,
I just received my DNS-330. Sadly all the drives I purchased for it were Western Digital and I did not know there is a 'compatibility list' I must check on before buying drives...

Anywho, I currently have a WD20EACS, with a WD20EARS coming in the mail. The WD20EACS is not on the compatibility list, but the DNS-330 was able to detect it so I guess it's ok. I didn't format it or anything yet...

My question is...

I don't know the exact workings of RAID 1...but how exactly close do my two drives have to be for RAID 1? They are both WD Caviar Green drives. The WD20EACS was taken from a WD Elements (and for some reason is not listed on the WD website) but it has 16MB Cache. The WD20EARS has 64MB Cache.

Lastly, I've read through a bunch of forums - but just to confirm, the WD Green Drives should have no issues with the DNS-330 after a Firmware upgrade to 2.0? Since the WD20EARS is on the compatibility list I assume it's ok...because past postings have talked about performance degradation due to the disk correcting for errors, or the 4k sector size, etc...

Thank you.