• April 25, 2024, 07:50:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Volume Encryption "Found" on 1.08b08 !  (Read 4411 times)

DcMcIx

• Level 1 Member
Volume Encryption "Found" on 1.08b08 !
« on: February 17, 2017, 02:15:26 AM »

Hi,
I've been on the FW 1.08 B08 a while now, and I found that there is a "quote" on 'hd_info.xml' =
<volume_encrypt>0</volume_encrypt>
Is this FW support Volume Encryption ? if yes where is the activation trigger on the UI ?
Is changing value to 1 starts the enctyption process at the NAS start ? if yes,  then where is the Encrypt-KEY Stored ? (For Recovery purposes)
Is all Volumes will be encrypted, or juste the '/' and the config FS ?
... and many other questions I cant write them all, but I know you know them ;-)
little hints pro's :-)
have a nice day

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Volume Encryption "Found" on 1.08b08 !
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 11:17:13 AM »

I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.
Let us know how it goes please.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

DcMcIx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 07:26:38 AM »

Hi,
I've called several times the tech support, and no one can tell me whether the FW supports encryption !!!
So I've a 1To HDD (spare) I'll mount it and see if my volume will be encrypted.
The thing is I dont know what type of encrytion it will be (Cypher Like Software encryption or A hardware one FDE Hardware)

There is annother xml file "volume_encrypt.xml" : it's empty (I think it will be filled with data once the encryption is enabled)

/usr/local/config # more volume_encrypt.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<config>
  <volume_encrypt_info/>
</config>

When The customer support cant answer this simple question !!!! I think I should go find a solution elswhere

Every NAS "Manufacturer" has Encrytion Option on their product even for Home users (like us) + it's not HARD to implement on the hardware ... A small Bin + a conf file thats all ... not even hard for Dlink engeneers !

If not, then, Open The system so we can install our own solution.

This is a part of an email I've sent to the tech support.

I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 12:13:20 PM »

The thing is I dont know what type of encrytion it will be (Cypher Like Software encryption or A hardware one FDE Hardware)

I think you should consider the fact that the NAS uses software for its RAID implementation and, unless you have managed to physically install a hardware encryption module, it will be encrypted using software as well.

edilima

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 10:04:25 AM »

Hi,
I've been on the FW 1.08 B08 a while now, and I found that there is a "quote" on 'hd_info.xml' =
Is this FW support Volume Encryption ? if yes where is the activation trigger on the UI ?
Is changing value to 1 starts the enctyption process at the NAS start ? if yes,  then where is the Encrypt-KEY Stored ? (For Recovery purposes)
... and many other questions I cant write them all, but I know you know them ;-)
have a nice day

I had exactly the same question as you a few months ago. Please see this thread: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=65683.0

At that time, the answer provided by DLINK support was not very helpful. I'm still unable to find such encryption option even after following all the steps provided by DLINK support in the above thread.

I'm affraid that current firmware version (and previous too) DOES NOT have any encryption feature available to the end user.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 03:01:29 PM »

Hi,
have a nice day

I had exactly the same question as you a few months ago. Please see this thread: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=65683.0

At that time, the answer provided by DLINK support was not very helpful. I'm still unable to find such encryption option even after following all the steps provided by DLINK support in the above thread.

I'm affraid that current firmware version (and previous too) DOES NOT have any encryption feature available to the end user.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

laggarcia

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 07:18:43 PM »

It is really weird that volume encryption is not available. I have been trying to found it on the past days, since I turned a DNS-320L on for the first time, without success, even though this feature is explicitly described in the NAS manual! BTW, in the manual they have used firmware version 1.08 to take the screenshots. I tried with the original firmware on my NAS (1.03), and with 1.08, 1.09, and 1.10 and none of them provide this feature! it is really a shame what DLink is doing with this NAS.

Anyway, to the benefit of others, i want to provide a hack in order to activate this feature.

*** WARNING ***

I DO NOT GUARANTEE THIS WILL WORK! THIS CAN DAMAGE YOUR NAS, YOUR DISKS, AND YOUR DATA. USE IT WITH NOT WARRANTY!

THIS WILL PROBABLY VOID YOUR WARRANTY!

You can log into the NAS through SSH (this feature at least is available in recent firmwares). After logged in, I got an error saying that no homedir was defined for the admin user. Hence, I created one:

mkdir /home/admin

Then I logged off and logged in again through SSH. After that, copy the following file to your homedir:

cp /usr/local/modules/web/pages/function/define.js /home/admin/

Edit this file with vi and change the value of the VE_FUNCTION variable to 1.

Find the lighttpd process:

ps axuf | grep lighttpd

Kill it:

kill <pid>

Restart lighttpd:

/usr/sbin/lighttpd -D -m /usr/lighty_lib -f /etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf

You should be good now to log in in the Webu GUI and find the volume encryption options.

Unfortunately the configuration is lost every time the NAS is restarted. There is probably a way to edit the firmware image to persist this variable value change there, but I didn't try that. However, once the disk is encrypted, it will get mount correctly after a restart, even though you will not be able to see the volume encryption configuration in the Web GUI as it will be deactivated after the restart.

Another big warning: The disks are so painful slow with this option enabled that I think now I understand why DLink deactivated it. It seems to be really useless (probably due to the low profile embedded processor and/or very old linux they are using in DSN-320L).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 07:21:43 PM by laggarcia »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 12:19:19 PM »

I would HIGHLY Recommend NOT using any encryption features on this model DNS. Overall for home use, encryption is not needed. Even for the general home office or office use.

If you need encryption, I recommend a external USB drive solution for use with encryption of thats needed.