• April 16, 2024, 03:56:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Please, some new updates - Netflix etc...  (Read 7111 times)

Perski

• Level 1 Member
Please, some new updates - Netflix etc...
« on: July 26, 2009, 06:57:26 PM »

Nothing seems to be done keeping this device current?! Less and less things work. Could we please get some updates to keep this device current with Netflix, YouTube etc? The reason I got this was to have an All-in-One device for all my media sources... maybe I bought the wrong device?!

Thanks!

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Please, some new updates - Netflix etc...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 09:35:37 AM »

Try the PlayOn media server it supports Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, and more.

Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Perski

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 12:04:20 PM »

Well... PlayOn is another $40 - you just let the problem be solved by somebody else, instead of giving your customers a free upgrade/patch?

PlayOn seems to work with almost any device, Xbox, PS3, Wii... so if that's the case, doesn't make me want to buy another DLink device in the future?

Thanks for the recommendation, just not very impressed with DLinks "upkeep-service".

Just curious, does any of your media devices support playback of Netflix, YouTube, etc?

FoxXxz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 01:52:25 AM »

I completely agree with you Perski this device has terrible support!

Perski

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 05:58:22 AM »

Last night I downloaded a trial version of PlayOn, and I have to say I'm very impressed by it! I first tried it on my Xbox360, and it works great! I then tried it on my DSM-520 and it worked well there as well. Interface wasn't as nice as on the Xbox, but at least it worked. Still have to check out if a longer movie actually plays well - reading about other DSM-520 customers complaining about the playback stopping after a few minutes or a few minutes before the end - I will report back about my findings.

However, I still have a hard time with the DLink support service. If DLink can't come up with their own solutions, could you at least get a good deal for your customers with PlayOn, maybe we could buy their software for half price or something? So far the lack of care is going to discourage me to buy any future products from you.

Hoping to be proven wrong!

Thanks!

Perski

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 02:19:27 PM »

Just to give some feedback on PlayOn like I promised - so far it's been great, no problems at all!! I'm definitely buying it when my trial is up! (I'm running Vista 64-bits)

ngttue

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 09:00:30 AM »

Would be nice if Hulu or Netflix could be streamed directly to DSM 520 without the use of a computer!  Is it possible?

I heard that Netflix can stream directly to Xbox 360 (no need for a computer).

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 04:42:02 PM »

No its not possible on the DSM-520. Netflix does run on Xbox without the use of a PC however xbox has a hard drive and is like a whole in its own and the App to do this is installed to the Xbox when updated.

ngttue

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 01:18:22 PM »

Thanks ECF.  So, Xbox has a drive to be able to play Netflix directly...What if we hook up a media-streaming-capable network storage for DSM 520?

I have a DNS 321 to store all my old videos, and DSM 520 plays well with these files without turning on my computer.  My only missing link is to feed external media from Hulu or Netflix.  Of course, one can do it with a computer turned on.  Now, can I use only DNS321+DSM520 to play my archived videos+ Hulu or Netflix without having to turn on my computer?

I really appreciate any suggestions.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 02:52:42 PM »

Sorry cant do it the firmware is not designed for this usage and the USB port is for media streaming only.

ngttue

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 04:14:40 PM »

Hmm, so it is the firmware that limits Dlink media player capability(?)....

BTW, a branch of HD media player with internal 500G storage (1 single piece of hardware) cost ~$150.

For Dlink: what is the cheapest unit(s)/configuration(s) with equivalent functions?