• March 28, 2024, 05:44:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: info about D-Link DNS-323 addons  (Read 51164 times)

birdog

• Level 1 Member
info about D-Link DNS-323 addons
« on: March 01, 2010, 08:15:11 AM »

I've had my box for a few weeks now and just upgraded the firmware v1.0.8. Among the new features are the add-on applications. I've downloaded, installed, and turned on 3: BitTorrent, NFS, SharePort, and no-ip.DDNS (I also installed firefly but I'm running a mac, so I'll have to wait for mac support to use that)

What does the BitTorrent addon have that the existing application doesn't? Why would I want this?

How do I use no-ip.DDNS? I can find nothing in the configuration page that refers to it, other than the on/off switch.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:22:58 AM by birdog »
DNS-323 rev C1, fw 1.0.8, 2x 1.5TB seagate drives

lotech

• Level 1 Member
Re: info about D-Link DNS-323 addons
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 11:49:26 AM »

Firefly is a iTunes server that runs on the DNS - it doesn't matter which platform you're on. Just enable it and then open iTunes on a computer and the NAS should turn up as a shared library.

birdog

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 01:25:38 PM »

that's good to know, thanks for the info. But how is firefly any different from the existing iTunes functionality ?

And what about the bittorrent addon - does this add functionality, and if so, how do I access it?
DNS-323 rev C1, fw 1.0.8, 2x 1.5TB seagate drives

hayesewing

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 09:21:28 PM »

Re: Firefly/iTunes on DNS - duplicating the same iTunes server functionality while not having to have your PC running is enough to get excited about, at least if you have a media client that can take advantage of it. 90% of my music plays from a Roku Soundbridge accessing the NAS. The Firefly server addon in firmware 1.08 seems more robust than previous firmware builtin iTunes server, and able to scan for background changes to your library better than the builtin. But I never tried the 1.08 iTunes server having gone straight from 1.06 to 1.08+Firefly apkg.

Re: BitTorrent add-on. I personally don't see the point, but I suppose being able to have a lightweight NAS managing the downloads instead of taking up processing bandwidth on the PC has some value. but it seems like too much work and much less functionality compared to using a browser to kick off uTorrent. One other obvious application is for the app to be running while you take your laptop PC on the go (if you only have 1).

pceasar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 03:23:28 PM »

Are there any other add-ons out there? Thanks Haysewing for bringing that to light

tpd80

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 10:30:47 AM »

Cant seem to find any help on this.

I have downloaded and installed both addons, BitTorrent and No-Ip.  I see they are listed on my 323 admin interface and I pressed the "Play" icon to set them running.

They are now running but how do I configure No-Ip?  Also how do i access an interface for BitTorrent??

Thanks in advance
Tim

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 05:27:53 AM »

You login to the box using the Applications tab, the add-on's and the config are accessed there.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

lucanaut

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 11:11:59 AM »

Negative - the Applications button does not list the add-ons.  I installed and started the no-ip add-on and the bonjour add-on.  Bonjour just works, the other one...I can't tell, and there's no no-ip tab if I click on Applications when I log in.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 11:22:57 AM »

Doesn't the no-ip package just give you that service in the list of other dynamic DNS services? Why install stuff you don't need/know what it does?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:25:49 AM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

lucanaut

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 01:19:06 PM »

I do know what it does, I just can't get to update the no-ip service properly, so I get these emails from no-ip periodically saying how it has not been updated in the last xx number of days.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 05:30:27 PM »

If you get those emails, it's not configured correctly, or the plugin doesn't work.  I've had NO-IP on my Synology box for months, never a problem.  I didn't know the DNS-323 offered NO-IP compatibility, I'm using it to update my DynDNS account.

cfishy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 02:32:06 AM »

Geez if you don't know how to help, you don't have to reply.

To configure no-ip dynamic DNS update, login web interface. Click on "TOOLS" tab. Click on DDNS on the left menu. You should be able to enable the DDNS updater, and choose "no-ip" from the drop down.

mine works just fine using firmware 1.09 and the addon installed.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 04:30:15 AM »

Like I said  ;)

Doesn't the no-ip package just give you that service in the list of other dynamic DNS services?
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 07:08:40 AM »

Geez if you don't know how to help, you don't have to reply.
Get out of bed on the wrong side this morning?  ::)