• March 28, 2024, 11:33:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Lost 40mHz band  (Read 33010 times)

vrod2003

Lost 40mHz band
« on: September 11, 2008, 07:15:03 AM »

I upgraded to 1.20, not the beta version, and setup the wireless as instructed.  Since their is no 40mHz only option, I chose Auto.  I have WPA2 only and AES cipher.  I am only getting 20mHz band as status report. 

I upgraded because I was having problems with my PC laptop running a wireless N card and I could not maintain a consistent connection via wireless.

This really needs to be fixed D-Link.  I have invested about $1,000 in your products in the last two years and resent the fact that you don't even bother to provide explanations or offer solutions to user problems.  Some of the posts in this board, the busiest of all your boards, have never been answered.  It has turned into one big gripe session.

It would be appreciated if we could get some satisfaction.  I would be willing to take an exchange to an upgraded product or a refund, but I am not willing to be ignored.  Unless D-Link wants to be in the same boat that NVIDIA is today, it would be a good idea if some real working solutions were put in place immediately.

Thank you for listening, I hope.

EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED SMALL BUSINESS OWNER

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
Re: Lost 40mHz band
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 08:55:52 AM »

Running a 655 with the 1.20 (Not beta) also.  The "40MHz Only" is only available if your are running a N only Network Mode.  This is due to the WIFI standards.  I have N onlymode set with auto for for the channel width and always have 40 showing on the status.

bmeouf

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 02:22:01 PM »

The 1.20 firmware introduces a "friendly neighbor" feature (i have forgotten the exact title of this feature). Essentially it will drop your routers signal from dual 20/40mhz to 20mhz if any interference is discovered. The problem is, if you live in an area with lots of signals (even other than wifi) your wireless network connection will be degraded, and will not "compete" with other devices. This is a nice feature in concept, but most all routers do not share this 'peaceful' feature and will be overly aggressive in their broadcasting... and you will suffer as a result.

D-link made this the default approach in 1.20 firmware and it cannot be disabled. To make matters worse, from what i hear, the router will not let you downgrade to an earlier firmware once you install 1.20.

I dont know if this is the exact cause of your problem, but it sounds likely.

If anyone sees any error in my description of this feature, please let me know.

Update: I have heard people's success stories in downgrading to a firmware before 1.20 but installing a beta firmware, which will let them then install an earlier firmware. If this is something you decide you want to do you should be able to find more information about this by searching the forum.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 02:30:03 PM by bmeouf »

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 04:34:13 PM »

The issue with good neighbor stuff is that WiFi Alliance required us to implement it that way. we are working on a firmware that will give you the HT40 back. Maybe a mode that is not WiFi Alliance certified or some relaxed version of this new standard. As soon as the code becomes available, I'll test it and if I can post it on the forums as beta.

WildSioux

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 07:43:33 PM »

The issue with good neighbor stuff is that WiFi Alliance required us to implement it that way. we are working on a firmware that will give you the HT40 back. Maybe a mode that is not WiFi Alliance certified or some relaxed version of this new standard. As soon as the code becomes available, I'll test it and if I can post it on the forums as beta.

lycan, Thanks for working to get this problem fixed (hopefully).

Also, i can only hope that someone at Dlink (and other wireless companies) have let the WIFI Alliance know about the problems this "Good Neighbor policy" is causing.  As the OP has stated, we spend money on a product that is advertised to boost speeds, range, etc...and then this happens.  I blame the wifi alliance.  Seems to me that they are taking a few steps back on this.  Then again they have sat around waiting to ratify the final N standard.  Whatever, i want the 600Mbps.

Matteo

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 07:52:34 PM »

and they want your money.... :-*

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 08:37:20 PM »

lycan, Thanks for working to get this problem fixed (hopefully).

Also, i can only hope that someone at Dlink (and other wireless companies) have let the WIFI Alliance know about the problems this "Good Neighbor policy" is causing.  As the OP has stated, we spend money on a product that is advertised to boost speeds, range, etc...and then this happens.  I blame the wifi alliance.  Seems to me that they are taking a few steps back on this.  Then again they have sat around waiting to ratify the final N standard.  Whatever, i want the 600Mbps.
Just remember that the 'N mode" is still a draft form, final specs have not been set on it and won't be until the end of 2009.  There will probably be changes to it along the way.

WildSioux

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 04:59:38 AM »

Just remember that the 'N mode" is still a draft form, final specs have not been set on it and won't be until the end of 2009.  There will probably be changes to it along the way.

I realize this...Although wasnt the final standard suppose to be here by now, not later in 2009?  Changes will come, but this change is a step backwards to N standards.  Especially when the routers nearby arent doing the same.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 08:44:10 AM »

The truth of the matter is that even though N is not ratified, it can not be allowed to cause disruptions in other peoples networking hardware. For some reason the answer from them this time is to gimp newer hardware in liu of older hardware. My guess is that the WiFi alliance was concerned about newer unratified hardware causing disruptions in older legacy devices that are stable and part of mission cirtical networks like local schools and such.

This will only be a temporary setback as the world move towards faster and faster hardware. Once the Legacy B/G products have gone the way of the dodo, you'll see the 600Mbps you're looking for.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 10:48:31 AM »

This will only be a temporary setback as the world move towards faster and faster hardware. Once the Legacy B/G products have gone the way of the dodo, you'll see the 600Mbps you're looking for.

Good luck waiting for that to happen. I guess it will take about 5 to 10 years before those 'legacy' modes are really out of the way. ::)

DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

WildSioux

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 10:28:46 AM »

The truth of the matter is that even though N is not ratified, it can not be allowed to cause disruptions in other peoples networking hardware. For some reason the answer from them this time is to gimp newer hardware in liu of older hardware. My guess is that the WiFi alliance was concerned about newer unratified hardware causing disruptions in older legacy devices that are stable and part of mission cirtical networks like local schools and such.

Good luck waiting for that to happen. I guess it will take about 5 to 10 years before those 'legacy' modes are really out of the way. ::)

Right, so in 5 to 10 years when the current G routers that people own finally die then we might be able to get N speeds.  That is if the wifi alliance ever gets around to ratifying the N standard.  Maybe that is why they keep delaying it.

"It can't not be allowed to cause disruptions in other peoples networking hardware." 
Great, so other peoples networking hardware can cause disruptions in mine... *sigh*

Tsumeone

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 07:10:35 PM »

Since others' (older) hardware is now disrupting my network, that's pretty backwards.  Good neighbor feature has too many flaws to speak of and it needs to go away.

There needs to be a mode in there that allows forced 40MHz and a little advisory that we (the user) accept consequences if it screws up someone's network and that it isn't wifi certified.

I should not be forced to get 1/2 of the performance I paid for because my neighbor has a free-after-rebate DI-624 that keeps rebooting itself due to it's faulty design; it is a powering-on AP and thus causes me to go down to 20MHz.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 10:59:20 AM »

Since others' (older) hardware is now disrupting my network, that's pretty backwards.  Good neighbor feature has too many flaws to speak of and it needs to go away.

There needs to be a mode in there that allows forced 40MHz and a little advisory that we (the user) accept consequences if it screws up someone's network and that it isn't wifi certified.

I should not be forced to get 1/2 of the performance I paid for because my neighbor has a free-after-rebate DI-624 that keeps rebooting itself due to it's faulty design; it is a powering-on AP and thus causes me to go down to 20MHz.
Actually we've gotten a newer firmware that relaxes the good neighbor standard and should resolve the issue.

bspvette86

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 01:08:15 PM »

Can I have the "Bad neighbor" version?   ;D

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 01:28:12 PM »

I'd like to see the less unfriendly neighboor firmware too. I found out that the Neighbour function did cause degredation of the wireless connections. Since I have a lot of 54g devices around me, the 1.20 turned my signal into the dodo of the neighbourhood.
Luckily, the 1.20 B07 lets you flash back to 1.11MSbeta, making me a more aggressive neighbour. But hey, my wife and her laptop...you don't want to see her unfriendly  :o
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33
Pages: [1] 2 3