• April 19, 2024, 09:32:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 1.31NA: Wireless problems after firmware upgrade  (Read 6537 times)

JasonAG

• Level 1 Member
1.31NA: Wireless problems after firmware upgrade
« on: May 03, 2009, 07:03:48 PM »

After happily using 1.21 for months, I've been banging my head against the wall for the last few hours after the upgrade to 1.31NA. Here's what I did:

1) Saved all settings to a configuration file.
2) Uploaded the firmware over a wired connection
3) After restoring to factory defaults, I tried uploading the previously saved configuration file (this may have been where the problems started).

The router refused to accept the old configuration file, so I went about entering everything manually. When I tried to change the wireless settings from the default SSID (dlink), and enter wireless security, I receive the following dialog when I hit "save settings":

"Cannot use a multicast MAC address in WDS"

What exactly does this mean? All I'm trying to do is configure the router as it was in the past (802.11n only, WPA2 Personal with AES). What gives?

Any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Arvald

• Level 3 Member
Re: 1.31NA: Wireless problems after firmware upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 07:42:23 PM »

from what I've seen from posts old config files are bad for 1.31.

Try reapplying the firmware again then manually configuring.

JasonAG

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 07:47:40 PM »

Hi Arvald,

I've re-downloaded and re-installed the new 1.31 firmware. After doing the 30-30-30 reset and trying to reset to default settings, I still receive the error "Cannot use a multicast MAC address in WDS" when trying to change ANYTHING with Wireless (even changing the SSID from dlink)!

Think the router is bricked?

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 01:11:23 AM »

You should take this up with Dlink tech support. WDS has been removed since firmware 1.05 or so and seeing an error referring to that gives me the shivers...
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 05:43:54 AM »

from what I've seen from posts old config files are bad for 1.31.

Try reapplying the firmware again then manually configuring.

This still boggles my mind...  What is the point of creating a mechanism for backing up configuration if it shouldn't be used? It sounds like I they took some easy way out by serializing the configuration or something.

Arvald

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 05:55:29 AM »

This still boggles my mind...  What is the point of creating a mechanism for backing up configuration if it shouldn't be used? It sounds like I they took some easy way out by serializing the configuration or something.

Thats the same question a lot of people are asking right now.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 07:17:24 AM »

Backing up and restoring on the same version works fine. There are situations that make this a very nice feature.
It would have been great if it worked flawlessly between all versions, but I also think it's understandable that changes in the version code might disrupt this restoring feature. Although it worked 9 out of 10 times when I did upgrade.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 07:59:18 AM »

I haven't ever had a problem restoring a saved config after upgrading the firmware, but my setup is very basic.

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 10:20:26 AM »

Backing up and restoring on the same version works fine. There are situations that make this a very nice feature.
It would have been great if it worked flawlessly between all versions, but I also think it's understandable that changes in the version code might disrupt this restoring feature. Although it worked 9 out of 10 times when I did upgrade.

Just to be clear, I haven't had an issue with it (I always start from scratch), but almost everytime someone has a problem, its recommended not to use the backup configuration.  I would assume since people suggest it so much that there must be some data that shows that not using the backup does indeed work.  If not using the backup configuration is a legitimate solution to these types of problems, then they should have either made a more robust method for saving/importing configurations, or not included it at all.

Anyway, I am getting off topic, so I will leave it at that.

JasonAG

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 11:11:28 AM »

I've contacted D-Link technical support and they suggest I call. Can't wait to be on the phone all night after work.  :'(

Until then, I'll post an update on the router; it gets even weirder!

To reiterate my problem, after upgrading to 1.31NA and performing a 30-30-30 reset, changing any wireless settings (besides turning it off) will cause the error "Cannot use a multicast MAC address in WDS" to be displayed in a pop-up dialog. Restoring to factory settings, logging in, and changing the SSID from dlink to dlink1 will even do it. I can't tell you how many times I've re-programmed 1.31NA before and after the 30-30-30 reset, but it's a no-go.

Ready for it to get stranger? 1.31NA will not allow a downgrade to anything before 1.3X, but what about the 1.30 beta? Although D-Link removed it from their FTP site, I was able to find it in another forum and downgrade from 1.31NA to 1.30NA. No 802.11b, but I could change wireless settings! The 1.30NA let me change anything (SSID, WPA2, channels, etc.) without showing the strange WDS dialog.

Seeing as 1.30NA worked fine, I tried upgrading from 1.30NA to 1.31NA. Performed the hardware reset, logged in as Admin, changed the SSID, and...
Cannot use a multicast MAC address in WDS

Are you kidding me? All of my devices are unplugged, the only thing connected to the DIR-655 is the laptop via an ethernet cable, and I've held in that reset button so many times I can poke it with a blindfold on.

To keep the router secure while I'm at work, I've downgraded to 1.30NA beta and will stay there until this is all resolved.

What really gets me is the word-for-word text in the 1.31NA release notes:
Please save your configuration file before the upgrade. After the upgrade, please reset to factory default, then upload the configuration file image.

D-Link, why put this in your release notes if it's going to cause problems? The upgrade process for routers needs a serious overhaul; while I'm pretty experienced technically, this is absolutely unacceptable for a typical end-user.