• April 26, 2024, 06:07:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-855 Random Reboots  (Read 11669 times)

vmark89

• Level 1 Member
DIR-855 Random Reboots
« on: May 27, 2013, 07:09:44 AM »

Hi there :)

Ive recently grabbed myself a DIR-855 and have it setup as per the Gaming settings that are posted on this site.
However i am experiencing what i believe to be random reboot of the Router itself at random times of the day as you can guess its quite annoying :(.
Rather than have huge wall of text ill bullet point it to see if it makes it easier for someone to maybe help me :)

- This is happens with Wired and Wireless Devices when the network drops
- Checked Router Screen and when it drops it proceeds to say in the System up time that its only recently been turned on as if i had rebooted it or turned it off and on.
-This also occurs for the Internet connection up time also and grabs a new IP Address with my Service having a Dynamic IP.
- I have manually entered my DNS Settings into the Router to see if this was the cause, however it still occurs.
- Manually entered the Time
- Have the Wireless on 2.4GHz channel 1 but again this occurs on Wired at the same time.
- When the problem occurs the logs do not state a WAN Disconnection.
- I have a ferrite core around the cables and DSL connection to help remove interference (have removed still occurs).
- Changed all cables.
- Running Firewall as Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP
- UPNP is Enabled
- Multicast Streams is Enabled
- Manual Uplink - 18,000kbps due to a 10% Difference the Router Recommends
- Traffic Shaping, QOS, Automatic Classification - Enabled
- Currently Running Firmware 1.23EUb07 i Believe as i updated yesterday afternoon and the Issue arose again last night.

If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated as I'm pulling my hair out :(
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 07:22:44 AM by vmark89 »

vmark89

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-855 Random Reboots
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 07:13:08 AM »

Also forgot to state my ISP is BT Infinity 2 - 75 Meg DL and 19-20 Meg UP on 99% of tests i perform and i would assume this should not be a problem for the Router to Handle?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 08:13:15 AM »

Link>Welcome!

What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.

What region are you located?
Has a Factory Reset been performed before and after the FW update and set up from scratch?

Does the router reboot or exhibit problems if you temporarily turn OFF the WiFi radio or use the 5Ghz radio only instead of 2.4Ghz?

What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works.
To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged.
If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ.
Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.

Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.
Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules.
Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. Tools/Time.

Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion
Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something thats already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
What wireless modes are you using?
2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N on 5Ghz?
Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
Try setting a manual channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK  only or Auto.
What wireless devices do you have connected?
Any cordless house phones?
Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?

Try turning off Short GI, WLAN Partition,and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.
Enable WMM Enable Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

vmark89

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 11:38:24 AM »

Hi mate thanks for the quick reply :)
The hardware version is A2 and the software is EU.
Region wise I am in the North West of the UK and my Provider is BT Infinity which is DSL.
I have not performed a factory reset after firmware as of yet, does this mean i would no longer be able to restore my backup of settings? Or would these have to be completely re-entered?.
This still occurs when the WiFi is off/running on just 5GHz aswell.

The modem i have with my ISP is literally just a modem (Openreach) and when the DIR-855 IS Active it has an address of whatever the Dynamic IP address is not a 192.168 address.
The modem is from BT and cant be logged into/configured DMZ wise.

Options i have checked:

- MTU correct at 1492
- CAT6 Cable being used
- The PPPOE is set as always on
- DNS Relay on
- Manually entered DNS's
- DHCP Addresses
- UPNP and Multicast Enabled
- WAN Port speeds have been tested at 100mb, 1000mb and Auto
- WISH is Disabled
- Cordless Phone is in another room and i have changed WiFi channels to which it still happens
- Disabled the Logs as seen on Google
- The router itself reboots not due to a Firewall as i only have a laptop and the rest are phones and xbox 360's

Will completely hard resetting the Router with this new firmware make a difference? As i will hard reset before and after to test, if not what is a more stable firmware?

Thanks for the help so far mate :)

Link>Welcome!

What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.

What region are you located?
Has a Factory Reset been performed before and after the FW update and set up from scratch?

Does the router reboot or exhibit problems if you temporarily turn OFF the WiFi radio or use the 5Ghz radio only instead of 2.4Ghz?

What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works.
To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged.
If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ.
Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.

Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.
Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules.
Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. Tools/Time.

Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion
Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something thats already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
What wireless modes are you using?
2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N on 5Ghz?
Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
Try setting a manual channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK  only or Auto.
What wireless devices do you have connected?
Any cordless house phones?
Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?

Try turning off Short GI, WLAN Partition,and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.
Enable WMM Enable Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 12:19:29 PM »

I would do a factory reset, disconnect ALL wired and wireless devices, turn them ALL OFF accept for 1 wired LAN PC.

Reconfigure the 855 router from scratch. Set up PPPoE and the DSL information.
Set up the PC for a reserved IP address.
Ensure Unicast is enabled under Setup/Internet.
Ensure DNS Relay is enabled.
Set NAT for Endpoint Independent for both TCP and UDP.

WAN port speed set to Auto.

How old is the ISP Modem? New or how old?
Ensure that your phone lines have proper signal levels for the ISP Modem. Ensure the phone lines are filtered correctly. You might ask your ISP for a newer modem if the current one is a few years old.

Check the logs on the 855 and see if you notice anything during the time frame when the router reboots.

Any chance you have a friend or family that you could take the 855 too and test? Would be a good test to see if the problem follows. Ensure the power adapter for the 855 is out putting correct levels, I think it should be 12v 2A?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 10:18:54 AM »

Any status on this? Hope something can be figured out.