• April 23, 2024, 10:44:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: WiFi Setup : MAC Access Control?  (Read 7112 times)

nrms

• Level 2 Member
WiFi Setup : MAC Access Control?
« on: November 30, 2008, 02:49:19 AM »

How do I set this please?

I can't find anyway of entering MAC addresses of WiFi clients to limit access to the WiFi network? Where will I find this option in the web browser interface?

Thanks
NigelS

nrms

• Level 2 Member
Re: WiFi Setup : MAC Access Control?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 03:26:29 AM »

OK ignore this one - I found it! I was looking under Wifi settings..... It's actually under Advanced|Network Filter. 

NigelS

funchords

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 01:31:10 PM »

How do I set this please?

I can't find anyway of entering MAC addresses of WiFi clients to limit access to the WiFi network? Where will I find this option in the web browser interface?

Thanks
NigelS

MAC addresses are always sent unencrypted and they can be spoofed.  This is a weak form of authentication security.  If you are using WPA or WPA2, then you are using a strong form of authentication security that uses encryption of its authentication key, and there is no added benefit to using MAC-based security (it only makes your network more complicated and difficult to manage).

nrms

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:24:25 AM »

Seems a bit silly to send them unencrypted, strange that when you read tutorials and books on setting up wireless networks, by supposedly knowledgeable people, they always say you should set up MAC control for extra security.

Thanks
NigelS

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 11:57:22 AM »

MAC filtering is old tech that is believed to be secure, however it is not. What it can do for you however is limit a hackers attempt to access the LAN physically when encryption is in play for the wireless.
It's meant as an added layer of protection not an alternative to encryption.

SanderT

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 06:21:54 AM »

Is this MAC ACL also for wired computers or does it only work with wireless clients? Cause in my DGL4300, the list was only for Wireless clients and didn't have any effect on the wired clients, but in the 855, the wired clients also show up in the selection box.  So is this list for all clients or only wireless? I only want the MAC ACL to be active for wireless clients and not the wired ones, like the DGL4300 did.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 08:33:39 AM »

It's for all clients.