• March 28, 2024, 08:27:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: can't connect to 5ghz band  (Read 12862 times)

mono666

• Level 1 Member
can't connect to 5ghz band
« on: May 12, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »

Hi guys, just bought the 825 yesterday and it hasn't work out for me last night :-\

This morning I updated to 1.11 firmware and still no luck. Am I doing something wrong?

here is my current setting:

2.4ghz locked to G only
Auto channel scan
Transmission Rate at AUTO
WPA2 only with AES

5ghz locked to N only
Auto channel scan
Transmission Rate at MCS15 - 130
Channel Width at AUTO
WPA2 only with AES

I have 3 wireless N clients 2 intel macs and 1 Vista laptop none of them are able to connect to the 5ghz band
all of the prove to connect fine with the airport extreme 5ghz band. ???

Thank you.

Alphaman

• Level 1 Member
    • AaroBlog
Re: can't connect to 5ghz band
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 02:44:20 PM »

Hi guys, just bought the 825 yesterday and it hasn't work out for me last night :-\

This morning I updated to 1.11 firmware and still no luck. Am I doing something wrong?

Not to be flippant, but...  Yes.  ;)

I'm running with 2 Mac's with N at 5GHz, and it works well.  The only difference I see between your config and mine is that my N channel is set to automatic xmit rate.

mono666

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 02:47:20 PM »

Not to be flippant, but...  Yes.  ;)

I'm running with 2 Mac's with N at 5GHz, and it works well.  The only difference I see between your config and mine is that my N channel is set to automatic xmit rate.

Thanks Alphaman for the speedy reply!

So you have the 5ghz channel set to auto for everything? what kind of speed and signal strength are you getting?

mono666

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:55:17 PM »

okay, I have change the transmitting rate to AUTO and the channel width to 40mhz and I can finally connect to the 5ghz band, but here is another problem. It is painfully slow. the wireless status tells me that I am connecting at 81mbps and 52% signal... this is horrible speed for streaming. Is there a setting I missed? ??? 

mikeny

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 06:58:43 AM »

I was under the impression that 81 mbps should be fine for video streaming.  Also you're lucky if you can maintain a 52% signal strengh for the 5 Ghz. band.  That's not bad.  It is is going to have a subtantially shorter range, albeit with more bandwith to compensate.   Have you tried video streaming yet?

mono666

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 08:20:18 AM »

Yes I have. But it depends on what kind of file is streamed. It has no problem streaming AVI files.
But when it comes to RMVB it's fine as long as I am not doing anything else... :-\
Sometimes I would be getting 13mbps with 48% signal and is that normal?
What kind of speed are you getting?

mikeny

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 09:18:24 AM »

I have a sat receiver connected to a Linksys WGA600N Gaming Adapter connected on the 5 Ghz. band.  I might see 13 mbps after a reboot but usually it's between 81 and 135 mbps.  If it's lower, it jumps higher when the data starts flying around.

Honestly, I'm growing unhappy with the video quality.  It used to be better.  I don't know if it's the WGA600N or what but streamed video is often choppy.  (more so for 1080i sources). The audio especially gets choppy.  I really want to hard wire this connection.  I would try 2.4 Ghz. but the thing is by the microwave and I don't want to get into a tug of war with it.

mono666

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 12:45:33 PM »

Yah I think I will just return the router anyway. Since B1 is coming soon, No for me to be stuck with the A1.

Thanks to all who helped me!

mikeny

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 05:14:42 PM »

I just switched the DVR to the 2.4 Ghz. band and even with the microwave it played great and I saw numbers as high 270.  It got as low as 108.  Even after trick play it played even the highest bandwith OTA broadcasts well.  I ran the microwave and it didn't even knock it out.  Maybe I should have gotten a 655. 

The signal strength being twice as high must be making a diffrence. i(n the 80s on the 2.4 Ghz band)

It's only one day but if it stays like this, I would be saftisfied.

Good luck with the new revision if you get it.

mono666

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 09:49:03 AM »

WOW! that is impressive number! I wish mine was that good. I think you are right about getting the 655, I guess the 5ghz technology is just in its early stages of development ><  I'll try to get Rev.B if I don't I will just exchange it for a 655.