• April 25, 2024, 04:13:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: FTP Access?  (Read 4643 times)

cjmedina

• Level 2 Member
FTP Access?
« on: August 14, 2009, 06:22:14 PM »

I have FTP access setup for anonymous to 1 folder and I setup separate access for a user account to both volumes.

When I go to my site   ftp:// \mysite.dns.com I only see the anonymous site folder.

My question is how do I get to the user account from the FTP site?

Also how should I answer for Oplocks and Map archive. I also us the bittorrent function...

Thanks,

CJ
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 06:24:37 PM by cjmedina »

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
Re: FTP Access?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 04:23:34 AM »

My question is how do I get to the user account from the FTP site?

ftp://username:password@mysite.dns.com

Leave OpLocks (performance and exclusive access for SMB protocol) and MAP archive (set when archiving files) as the are unless you experience problems with shared files or backup of NAS.

bittorrent: sorry - don't use that  ;)

cjmedina

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 05:54:27 AM »

Thank you, It worked fine.....

cjmedina

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 06:06:54 AM »

"Leave OpLocks (performance and exclusive access for SMB protocol) and MAP archive (set when archiving files) as the are unless you experience problems with shared files or backup of NAS."

I will be backing up my files so should i leave them on or off?

Thanks

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 09:07:05 AM »

oplocks - or opportunistic locking - is only of importance when multiple simultaneous access to a file is required - situations where, just for example, the same file is going to be accessed from two locations at the same time.

If the file is only going to be accessed by a single user or process then you can use either setting.

MAP archive relates to the mapping of the file attributes across the two different file systems (in simple terms - the DNS-323 uses a linux based ext2 file system and you are accessing it through SAMBA to make it appear as a Windows based NTFS file system) - Windows uses an archive bit which linux does not have.

This is of more importance to a back up application which will use the archive bit to determine whether or not any given file should be backed up or not, when doing differential and/or incremental backups.  For backup I would set MAP archive ON.

NOW - if you are backing up your files using ftp the MAP archive bit setting may have no effect - I don't think traditional ftp clients will pay any attention to it.

Edit...

Edited to preserve the content after censorship.

Mr Moderator - perhaps you should review the acceptable word list - take a look at the paragraph below and see if you can figure out what is so offensive about it that it deserves to be censored.

Here's the original paragraph.
This is of more importance to a back up application which will use the archive bit to determine i***iven file should be backed up or not, when doing differential and/or incremental backups.  For backup I would set MAP archive ON.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 11:29:54 AM by fordem »
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

cjmedina

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 10:19:59 AM »

Thank You....