• April 25, 2024, 09:34:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Motion detected 30 minutes at dusk and dawn  (Read 18837 times)

JoGi

• Level 1 Member
Motion detected 30 minutes at dusk and dawn
« on: February 17, 2013, 11:38:41 PM »

My Dlink DCS-5222L watches over my summer house lawn.

And every dusk and dawn when it's getting lighter or darker it gives motion detected over 30 minutes of time.

This is not a problem that is caused by the sun and shadows, when its cloudy (like the example I sent from today) it still triggers. And then the light shifts very slowly from normal cloudy daylight to pitch black.

The motion detection is worthless if it can't handle shifting between daytime and nighttime.
This can't be a situation that is not that uncommon.

I also have two DCS-930L watching the other side of the house and that have never trigger motion caused by dusk or dawn.
DCS-5222L is more expensive it should work better with motion detection in my oppinion. But now I can't really use it because it sends me motions alarms 60 minutes every day.

I can only see that the reason for the detection is the cameras internal fluctuation in handling low light situations. And the cameras instability in low lights will vary so much it triggers motion.
And if you adjust the sensitivity it will not detect motion in normal lightning conditions.

When will a new firmware be available to fix this false motion detection when in low light?

And I can't use PIR or because of there is a window in-front of the camera that reflects IR.

This is a daytime image of what the camera sees:

This is the current motion region settings:

And the snapshot settings:

A series of images detected by motion, one from dusk and one from dawn.
http://www.congero.se/dcs-5222l/images-dawn.zip
http://www.congero.se/dcs-5222l/imags_dawn-lighter.zip
http://www.congero.se/dcs-5222l/images_dusk.zip

JoGi

• Level 1 Member
Re: Motion detected 30 minutes at dusk and dawn
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:08:45 AM »

Do you have trouble changing settings remotely? Either through the mydlink shortcut or directly via IP address for the cam? Seems some settings can be changed but for motion it takes a heck of a long time -- long enough to abort the process as it seems won't work? Thanks.

No problems changing any settings on the camera. I don't use myDlink at all so I always go directly on the camera  to change settings.
But no problem saving motion settings if I need to.

~Johannes

belvedere

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »

I'm having the same issues with my DCS-942L cameras.  I'm thinking about mounting them outside to use the PIR, since the PIR at Medium or Low sensitivity seems to be rock-solid.  The video motion, however, consistently triggers itself.  I adjusted the sensitivity down in 5% increments and found that, in late afternoon, the camera's own unstable adjustments to the light level cause it to trigger.  Once I reached about 35%, the false triggering stopped, but the camera wouldn't detect ANY motion, either!

Of course, e-mailing support, they told me to reset the camera.  I'd like to submit a request to their development team but currently have no way to report this to any intelligent lifeforms at D-Link.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 05:07:08 PM »

My Dlink DCS-5222L watches over my summer house lawn.

DCS-5222L is more expensive it should work better with motion detection in my oppinion. But now I can't really use it because it sends me motions alarms 60 minutes every day.

Have you upgraded the F/W to the latest?

JoGi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 01:48:43 AM »

I'm having the same issues with my DCS-942L cameras.  I'm thinking about mounting them outside to use the PIR, since the PIR at Medium or Low sensitivity seems to be rock-solid.  The video motion, however, consistently triggers itself.  I adjusted the sensitivity down in 5% increments and found that, in late afternoon, the camera's own unstable adjustments to the light level cause it to trigger.  Once I reached about 35%, the false triggering stopped, but the camera wouldn't detect ANY motion, either!

Of course, e-mailing support, they told me to reset the camera.  I'd like to submit a request to their development team but currently have no way to report this to any intelligent lifeforms at D-Link.

Finaly someone else having the same issues that the cameras own fluctuation in adjusting the gamma/iris will trigger motion.

I have the latest firmware 1.01, and I have the same issued finding anyone to report to. D-link does a good job hiding for any communication possible. I'm hoping they are at least reading feedback given here.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 06:00:37 PM »

Finaly someone else having the same issues that the cameras own fluctuation in adjusting the gamma/iris will trigger motion.

I have the latest firmware 1.01, and I have the same issued finding anyone to report to. D-link does a good job hiding for any communication possible. I'm hoping they are at least reading feedback given here.

If I have video motion enabled, I will pick up a lot of hits on partly cloudy days.

This is known and common.

JoGi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 01:14:57 AM »

If I have video motion enabled, I will pick up a lot of hits on partly cloudy days.

This is known and common.

That motion is detected when light varies by shadows is not an issue for me, I have 4 cameras on that gives me a lot of false positive motion detection on partly cloudy days and when it's windy .  I understand that the motion is detected by changes in groups of pixels the difference by real motion and shadows is not easy to accomplish. And absolutely something that you can expect from a consumer product.
But when there is no wind, and about no lights at there's shouldn't be even one false positive motion detected. Now it's constantly detecting motion of you don't use pir (I can't because of a window)

fjrichart

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 08:38:31 AM »

Please, I'm new to all this. The video motion triggers itself many times when there's nobody in the room but many times when I enter the room it doesn't detect me.
Now I see you are talking about using PIR and I wonder: if I leave my dogs sleeping in the room will it be recording all the time or only if the move?.
Thanks

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 04:34:56 AM »

The PIR looks at heat differential.  A static (i.e. non-moving) heat signature should not trigger a motion detection event. If the heat signature moves somewhere else in-frame, then that could trigger a motion detection event.

Even if your dogs are asleep in the room, they are still likely to have subtle movements, all of which may trigger the camera.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 09:31:47 PM »

The PIR looks at heat differential.  A static (i.e. non-moving) heat signature should not trigger a motion detection event. If the heat signature moves somewhere else in-frame, then that could trigger a motion detection event.

Even if your dogs are asleep in the room, they are still likely to have subtle movements, all of which may trigger the camera.

What are the heat differential specs?

My air conditioning vent should be setting off more clips...
55F at vent with about 73F indoor room  temp

mherbold

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 10:01:25 AM »

As for the 30 minutes of recording during dusk / dawn - this is because the camera is in day mode when it really should be in night mode.  You'll probably notice that the picture is really noisy during dusk / dawn while the camera is in day mode.  That is what is triggering the motion detection.  Then when it goes into night mode, the IR lights kick on and the noise goes away.  Unfortunately, D-Link does not give us any control over how dark the picture needs to be before it switches to Night Mode.

With the 1.11 release, this problem will be worse because they lowered the threshold even further so the camera stays in Day Mode longer.

WolfKodi

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 06:40:44 PM »

I don't see this day/night transitional problem in 1.11. My motion detection works perfectly across these times and I have no need for threshold adjustment as the day/night mode automatically switches at exactly the right moment. I'm using hw rev. A2 if that makes a difference though.

nc92

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 06:07:04 AM »

Hi JoGi :-)
I've exactly the same issue at dawn and dusk :(
DCS5222L rev A with last firmware (1.12.3404)
I tried all the settings, sensitivity, day/night auto or not, PIR or not ... everything with no sucess.
I have a DCS5300G just beside looking in the same direction which doesn't trigger all these false positive alerts!
Did you find a solution to fix your issue (other than return the cam (which is definitely not a progress) to Dlink ?
Thanks for answer
regards