• March 29, 2024, 12:27:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Adding VLAN's  (Read 5005 times)

kenny782

• Level 1 Member
Adding VLAN's
« on: June 22, 2009, 06:08:44 PM »

Sorry for the long post

I'm deploying this switch in a small office in preparation for a VOIP deployment later this year.
It is the only switch everything is going into.

I've helped deploy VOIP several times but this is first time actually configuring the switch side of things.
So right now of course I only need a single VLAN. But I want to get the switch as ready as I can to minimize user impact when I deploy voice.

For data
VLAN 1
192.168.111.0/255.255.255.0

For Voice
VLAN 512
192.168.222.0/255.255.255.0

DHCP Server for both: 192.168.111.2
PBX will be: 192.168.222.2
Router/Gateway to internet: 192.168.111.1

The VLAN's will need to talk to each other. The PBX  needs to be able to talk to remote IP phones and my mail server, and a web interface for end users.

Okay so here's what I'm trying to do.
1) Everything plugged into the switch automatically comes up on my data VLAN (vlan 1)

2) My phones boot up see see that it should be on vlan 512 (voice)
   So it starts tagging packets as vlan 512 and the switch acts accordingly

3) The phone also has a port for my PC to connect to. The phone knows to tag my PC's traffic VLAN 1.

Does anyone see anything wrong with my logic?

How do add the second VLAN and prioritize

kenny782

• Level 1 Member
Re: Adding VLAN's
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 06:45:59 PM »

okay I was way off base, was just spoiled by that last cisco switch :)

so I create 2 vlan's someone said 3?
but it looks like allow allowing devices on both vlan's access my pbx will be a problem

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
Re: Adding VLAN's
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 08:21:23 AM »

You are goign to have alot of issues.

Unless your router can be configured for tagged VLAN interfaces you will not be able to use a single gateway with this switch.  You also will not have cross VLAN configuration without it.

This switch does not support DHCP relay, so you will need a DHCP server on both VLANs as well.  If you have 2 interfaces configured on your gateway it might be able to do this for you.

There is no automatic VoIP VLAN configuration.

You will need to know if your phones have options to tag the PCs traffic and/or to tag their own traffic, depending on the phone one of these is usually the case.  If you phone doesn't support manually tagging one of those types of traffic then you will not be able to differentiate them into different VLANs.
non progredi est regredi