• March 18, 2024, 11:22:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Setup of UNpN Media Library horribly slow  (Read 7883 times)

uklapps

• Level 1 Member
Setup of UNpN Media Library horribly slow
« on: May 04, 2011, 09:37:44 AM »

Let me start by getting my apologies out of the way first.  Although I consider myself quite IT/Computer savvy, I do not have a great amount of experience with Networks and NAS.

Background
I have setup my DNS320 without too much hassle.  I have two 2tb Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 hard disks installed in a Raid 1 Configuration.  I have transferred all my media and some other copies of folders from other computers I have as backups.  Right now I am using around 66%, 1.3TB

Initial Observations
It took a long time to load all my data.  I would say something in the range of 48+ hours, so not incredibly fast there.  I tried via both USB and over a network switch.
When accessing the media files, even over wireless, for example playing a avi file on my laptop, the speed is great, no delays / buffering etc.
I have tried and failed so far to get Dynamic DNS working, but that’s on the back burner for now.

Issue
1.   When I enable UNpN I can only add the volume 1 root folder.  I would like to be able to select folders below this level.  It maybe because I may have manually ‘shared’ the volume1 folder and therefore you don’t have the option of sharing lower level folders?  It doesn’t look like it though.

Can anyone else add specific folders when setting up UNpN or offer any suggestions.  Or is this how it is supposed to be?
2.   Once I have added the folder, I select Refresh All to build the media library.  I have tried this twice now and it is incredibly slow.  It seems to be building it at around 2% an hour, so will take 50 hours.  This is one of the reasons I wanted to only add some selected folders to reduce the files it was trying to add to the library.

Can anyone else share their experiences and/or offer any advice on setting up their UNpN media library?

Many thanks for any tips / comments / suggestions.

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Setup of UNpN Media Library horribly slow
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 09:51:41 AM »

1.   When I enable UNpN I can only add the volume 1 root folder.  I would like to be able to select folders below this level.  It maybe because I may have manually ‘shared’ the volume1 folder and therefore you don’t have the option of sharing lower level folders?  It doesn’t look like it though.

When you click on Add, you should see a small folder icon, a checkbox and Volume_1. Click on Volume_1 and it will expand the subtree of the folders below it. This is how you choose folders below the top level.

2.   Once I have added the folder, I select Refresh All to build the media library.  I have tried this twice now and it is incredibly slow.  It seems to be building it at around 2% an hour, so will take 50 hours.  This is one of the reasons I wanted to only add some selected folders to reduce the files it was trying to add to the library.

Have you tried resetting the device to defaults and trying to add them again? I do not know how many files you have based on your space used. It could be mostly music for all I know and end up being 100,000+ songs but obviously with more songs requires more time but 2% an hour seems very slow.

uklapps

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 12:38:47 PM »

Thanks for the amazingly quick response.

I am pretty sure I tried to expand that directory and couldn't get it to work.

So now I am trying to check, but when you go to the UNpN setup it is still building the media library of course.  and is still only at 28% 7 hours after I left it at 20%.

So do I turn off the NAS and see if I can stop the building of the library that way, or do I reset to factory defaults?

I assume when you reset ther factory defaults, all the data is fine, it is just the admin password, FTP, itunes enabled settings that get reset and I just have to configure everythnig again?

Many thanks!!!

uklapps

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 01:26:57 PM »

I found the system restart option so did that to stop it building the library

And I managed to see now how I can expand volume1.  Kicking myself, but still don't think it's that obvious.....

Anyway, so I have added a limited number of folders, so I will see if this updates a lot quicker or not

And I had it wrong in my earlier post.  I have used 650 GB and have 1.3TB left.  So this makes it even more surprising that it is going to take over 50 hours to build the library.

I would still like to know HOW to reset the factory defaults, and confirm there is no lasting effects other than having to add passwords, re-enable itunes etc, readd the folders to UPnP etc
Thanks

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 01:33:41 PM »

I found the system restart option so did that to stop it building the library

And I managed to see now how I can expand volume1.  Kicking myself, but still don't think it's that obvious.....

Anyway, so I have added a limited number of folders, so I will see if this updates a lot quicker or not

And I had it wrong in my earlier post.  I have used 650 GB and have 1.3TB left.  So this makes it even more surprising that it is going to take over 50 hours to build the library.

I would still like to know HOW to reset the factory defaults, and confirm there is no lasting effects other than having to add passwords, re-enable itunes etc, readd the folders to UPnP etc
Thanks

There is no lasting effects on the drives. Basically anything you configured in the device will be lost minus the actual data. Share permissions, users, groups, quotas, UPNP, FTP settings, etc are all reset to default. A simple reconfigure would have you up and running.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:15:44 PM by D-Link Multimedia »