• March 28, 2024, 09:47:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DAP-1522 is making me crazy!  (Read 56857 times)

misterdna

Re: DAP-1522 is making me crazy!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 03:01:02 AM »

@ tamalero: I will try an old Windows machine I have and see what happens after a hard reset. If http://dlinkap doesn't work in that case, I will probably give up and try getting this thib replaced.

@ mig: On the network settings page's two settings:
1) LAN connection type: (dynamic or static) - As I mentioned above, I've tried both settings, but when connected to my network, the 1522 only seems to work properly with the dynamic setting, at which point the IP address is assigned 192.168.2.195 by my router. When I have the 1522 attached directly to my laptop via ethernet, and no DHCP is detected, the 1522 IP reverts to 192.168.0.50 (as is intended, in dynamic IP mode). http://dlinkap doesn't work in any of these set-ups. When I tried the static IP setting, I entered 192.168.2.195, and kept this IP lease on the router as forever. I was still able to access the device at 192.168.2.195, but the wireless connection would not serve up any web pages.

2) DEVICE NAME (NETBIOS NAME) - Mine says "1522". I don't know if I changed it. But even if I did, neither "1522" or "DAP-1522" is "dlinkap", so it doesn't seem like my device name setting would be messing up that URL. Also, from fresh out of the package, and fresh from a hard reset, you'd think think this would have the default device name settings, and the URL would work have worked as it is supposed to... But it never has.

I'll post again after I've tried the Windows machine and another hard reset.

anon

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 08:09:31 AM »

When you changed it to "dlinkap" it still would not work? Are there any other devices that could be interfering with the dap-1522?

Do you still get these same problems in "bridge mode"? Also f/w 1.20 has been taken off the support page, so maybe give 1.10 a try. As I said before the reason for the questions is to find out what you've done.

misterdna

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 08:45:26 AM »

When you changed it to "dlinkap" it still would not work? Are there any other devices that could be interfering with the dap-1522?

Do you still get these same problems in "bridge mode"? Also f/w 1.20 has been taken off the support page, so maybe give 1.10 a try. As I said before the reason for the questions is to find out what you've done.
Changed name to "dlinkap" and I still get the internet page dlinkap.com when I try the URL. There can't be another device interfering, because (as I've mentioned a few times), the dlinkap URL doesn't work even when the 1522 is connected directly to my laptop with ethernet, and neither are connected to anything other devices in any way (wired or wirelessly).

I've tried the 1522 in every mode, the dlinkap URL has never worked in any mode. BTW, shouldn't the URL work in every mode? When you ask me to try bridge mode, is it because AP mode is a known issue? Sorry ANON, but sometimes I feel you simply want me to try every available setting on this thing, and I just don't have time to do that.

I saw the post that the 1.20 firmware was taken off, and I haven't had a chance to change the firmware again. But as I said in my initial post, the URL problem existed for me with the initial loaded firmware too, so it's not purely an issue with the 1.20 firmware. But I will load the most recent firmware (still up), do a hard reset, and try accessing http://dlinkap  from a Windows machine. If that doesn't work, I'm declaring my unit a lemon.

tamalero

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 09:22:59 AM »

That sounds fishy, it indeed seems something is either interfering with your hardware ( believe it or not, some cellphones can make the DIR-655 reboot until they're  taken a few meters away ).
or the unit is defective.

at first I had problems setting up the DAP-1522 ( auto didnt work )
but anyway my steps

1.- laptop on ( change ethernet to 192.168.0.3 )
2.- set DAP-1522 to bridge
3.- connect to the laptop on any port of the DAP
4.- bring the basic ip 192.168.0.50
5.- configure the wireless bridge ( including disable DHCP, channels..etc.. )
6.- connect
7.- change the internal ip address then soft-reboot ( from inside )
after I restarted, I connected with my laptop wireless ( disconnected  the ethernet )
and accessed the DAP using my router's wireless connection and seems to work fine.

btw, you can try this as well by plugging the DAP-1522 to the DIR-655 but I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT
as soon you connect your bridge to the DIR-655 ( via wireless )
the DIR-655 will slowdown to a crawl... and detect a "LAND ATTACK" ( router loop lol )
so unplug fast.. and.. thats done...

the weird thing, seems the DAP-1522 are very delicate components, each one as their own quirks and thigns that make them bugg out..
in my case.. the channel on auto on dir-655 will slowdown my DAP-1522 to a crawl.

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 09:59:46 AM »

2) DEVICE NAME (NETBIOS NAME) - Mine says "1522". I don't know if I changed it. But even if I did, neither "1522" or "DAP-1522" is "dlinkap", so it doesn't seem like my device name setting would be messing up that URL.
The device name IS that URL.  If you name your device "myaccesspoint" then http://myaccesspoint should get your browser to load the web GUI for your DAP-1522.  This URL will only work if there is a DNS service on <NetBIOS name resoultion> on your network to translate the character string "myaccesspoint" into the static (or dynamic) IP address assigned to your device.

Part of the reason http://dlinkap does not work (there could be more factors contributing to this URL failure) is that your device is not name "dlinkap".

When you use dynamic IP, your router (who assigns the IP address) should be acting as the DNS <NetBIOS name resolution>for the IP addresses it assigns dynamically.  What is the manufacture and model of your router?  The problem could lie there?

:-[ EDITED: to replace incorrect DNS with NetBIOS name resolution
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:11:58 AM by mig »

misterdna

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 10:25:09 AM »

The device name IS that URL.  If you name your device "myaccesspoint" then http://myaccesspoint should get your browser to load the web GUI for your DAP-1522.  This URL will only work if there is a DNS service on your network to translate the character string "myaccesspoint" into the static (or dynamic) IP address assigned to your device.

Part of the reason http://dlinkap does not work (there could be more factors contributing to this URL failure) is that your device is not name "dlinkap".

When you use dynamic IP, your router (who assigns the IP address) shoud be acting as the DNS for the IP addresses is assign dynamically.  What is the manufacture and model of your router?  The problem could lie there?

I feel like you are missing much of what I've said (several times) in this thread. The URL has never worked from day one, fresh out of the box, connected straight to my laptop via ethernet. The day I received this device, I followed the quick set-up directions, which said to use "http://dlinkap" to access the device, and that URL didn't work even then. I then tried the IP address listed, and that's always been the only way I could log on to the 1522 (via default or assigned IP address). So clearly, the problem has existed before any router was in the picture, so there is no way it could be the router causing the problems (btw, I've tried the 1522 with two routers, and also connect directly to the device, w/o being connected to anything else, when trying to troubleshoot). I have configured many IP devices, other WAPs, and other things on my network and have zero networking issues, the only network/wireless problems I have are 1522 issues (which, at this point, I'm just focusing on one of, but all of them are listed at the beginning of the thread). Also, my post that you are replying to says I did put the device name to dlinkap and it still doesn't work (it brings up dlinkap.com, on the web).

While I feel very certain my router has nothing to do with my issues (for the reasons mentioned above, plus this router has impressed the hell out of me with it's stability, features, and user ratings), it is the SMC WGBR14-N, which I believe is SMC's top-of-the-line consumer Gigabit N router.

I have set up a lot of devices on my network, many a lot more complicated that this thing, and I just don't have issues like I am having with the 1522... Which makes me think it's a problem with my unti, not a problem with a setting.

Anyway, as I said in my previous post, I will change the firmware, hard-reset, and try a windows machine and see what happens. Please sit-tight until I do that and post my results.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 10:32:56 AM by misterdna »

anon

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 10:36:14 AM »

You type in "dlinkap" and dlinkap.com is what your browser brings up?

The questions I last posted was for all the "problems" you first stated, not just the "dlinkap" issue.

Guess it's time to give the tech support a call on getting another dap.

misterdna

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 10:36:48 AM »

That sounds fishy, it indeed seems something is either interfering with your hardware ( believe it or not, some cellphones can make the DIR-655 reboot until they're  taken a few meters away ).
or the unit is defective.
Thanks for saying the unit could be defective. I really needed to hear someone on this board say that. Not that it IS defective, but just acknowledge that it COULD BE defective. Really felt like I was taking crazy pills...

misterdna

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 10:40:52 AM »

You type in "dlinkap" and dlinkap.com is what your browser brings up?

Sorry to sound exasperated, but YES! I've said this in more than one post that dlinkap.com comes up when I put in http://dlinkap. Some domain name squatter owns that URL (surprised D-Link didn't buy it for themselves).

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 11:15:01 AM »

1) NETBIOS resolution can be tricky. I wouldn't worry about it not working too much as long as you can reach the AP by it's IP. Do you have other AP's or devices that resolve NETBIOS names?

2) How many AP's do you have in your house? Are they all DAP-1522? how many are running at the same time?

Unless we understand everything about your network we can't help you fix it. Getting frustrated and asking that we give you some magic answer is not realistic.
How are we supposed to know what the problem is if we don't ask you questions?

Do you go to the doctors and say "I hurt" then when the doctor says "where?" you just demand an answer?

Questions are the only tool we have to help you, short of going to your house and viewing the issues for ourselves. 

misterdna

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 11:29:49 AM »

1) NETBIOS resolution can be tricky. I wouldn't worry about it not working too much as long as you can reach the AP by it's IP. Do you have other AP's or devices that resolve NETBIOS names?

2) How many AP's do you have in your house? Are they all DAP-1522? how many are running at the same time?

Unless we understand everything about your network we can't help you fix it. Getting frustrated and asking that we give you some magic answer is not realistic.
How are we supposed to know what the problem is if we don't ask you questions?

Do you go to the doctors and say "I hurt" then when the doctor says "where?" you just demand an answer?

Questions are the only tool we have to help you, short of going to your house and viewing the issues for ourselves. 

The thing is all I did was answer question for the first page of this thread. I didn't get frustrated for awhile, when I just kept getting questions, but was getting zero answers. So you're way off base saying I expected a magic answer without answering questions. Also frustrated with how much time I've spent messing with this device, and now feeling like I'm repeating myself many times in the same thread when I'm asked questions I had answered before (even your question about APs on my network was specifically answered in one of my previous posts).

Aren't all networking issues thrown out the window regarding the URL not working when I explain the URL didn't work from day one, with the device connected straight to a laptop with an ethernet cord (completely isolated from any other device or network)?

This is my only 1522 that I have ever owned. It's my only D-Link wireless device (I do have a gigabit switch by D-Link). Right now I have a router with wireless, an Airport Express in AP mode, and trying to get the 1522 working smoothly. But I've tried the 1522 with many networking configurations, and as I mentioned, totally away from the network too.

At this point, I don't want you guys to help me troubleshoot my network -- I could be wrong, but for many reasons, I feel confident in my network and network troubleshooting abilities. I just want help from people who know this device to help me with this device. Please just humor me, and pretend this isn't a networking issue. My network works great in every respect, with my Rovio and IP camera, and multiple computers -- everything works as expected, and is accounted for correctly in the router. In the past year I have spent hours learning about my network in order to set-up many IP devices, and don't want to start back to square-one network troubleshooting just to get a lowely WAP to work (when I don't believe that is my issue).

Again, my reasoning for focusing on this issue: it is a non-network issue I've had since day one, and I figure if it is proven the device isn't working properly with this URL issue, it could serve as evidence my unit is defective, and I should replace it. At some point awhile ago, the cost of the hours spent troubleshooting this device has eclipsed the cost of tossing it. And now I keep allowing myself to feel the need to respond to posts. I think my idea of changing firmware, hard reset, try from windows machine makes complete sense as a final step to test if the URL works, and I'm going with this idea. No one else has said they have problems with the URL, so I am going to assume that the unit is bad if the URL doesn't work as it is supposed to.  Please, help others in need in the meantime, no need to try to help me any more.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:56:48 AM by misterdna »

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 01:19:44 PM »

I feel like you are missing much of what I've said (several times) in this thread...
Well, I feel you seem to be missing is the fact that networks (both local and wide area - internet) run on numbers or IP addresses like "192.168.0.50" not names line "dlinkap".   (and I'm surprised at this since you state you are an experienced network administrator)  You will NEVER be successful with http://dlinkap until you have a correctly configured service (such as a DNS) <NetBIOS name resolution> to translate the "dlinkap" to the IP address "192.168.0.50" [or what ever IP address you have assigned to your DAP-1522]

When you connect your mac laptop directly to the DAP-1522, do you know what service, on that single cable, point to point network, which is responsible to translate names to IP addresses?  I don't believe there a service to fulfill that requirement, and that is the reason that typing http://dlinkap in your browser does not work (and the additional possibility that the DAP-1552 may not be named "dlinkap")

When you connect your DAP-1522 to your router, the router <NetBIOS name resolution> is responsible for translating names to IP addresses.  If the router's DNS <NetBIOS name resolution> is not configured correctly, there will be no resolution for "dlinkap" and the router will ask your ISPs DNS servers if there is any domain name "dlinkap.com" that can be translated to and IP address (your web browser is trying to 'help you out' in this failure situation by adding the .com to the end of your original request name of 'dlinkap').  Your IPSs DNS servers will find there is a domain "dlinkap.com" that can be translated to an IP address of 208.73.210.121 registered by Jan Svoboda (who has registered about 40K domain, definitely a squatter) and your web browser show you that page.  [by the way, my employer has blocked my access to that site, claiming Filter Category: Viral_Content_Sites;Advertisements;Productivity - so be careful)

In each situation http://IPaddress does work, so this means the http://dlinkap issue is a result of name to IP address translation failure, not a failure with the DAP-1522.

If you can get past this issue, you may be able to get help for you other DAP-1522 issues.  However, if you are frustrated with the setup and performance of the DAP-1522, perhaps it is not the best device for you.  Stop driving yourself crazy, declare your unit defective, cut your losses (in money and time), chalk it up to experience, and go purchase another access point which may work better in your particular network situation.

:-[ EDITED: to replace incorrect DNS with NetBIOS name resolution
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:12:19 AM by mig »

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 02:07:29 PM »

Well, I feel you seem to be missing is the fact that networks (both local and wide area - internet) run on numbers or IP addresses like "192.168.0.50" not names line "dlinkap".   (and I'm surprised at this since you state you are an experienced network administrator)  You will NEVER be successful with http://dlinkap until you have a correctly configured service (such as a DNS) to translate the "dlinkap" to the IP address "192.168.0.50" [or what ever IP address you have assigned to your DAP-1522]

W

Its a NETBIOS name, not DNS.

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 02:59:25 PM »

Its a NETBIOS name, not DNS.
So what device (process?) handles the NETBIOS Name Service (NBNS) on a Macs only (no Windows machines) network?  In this situation, wouldn't the Name Resolution fall back to the router's DNS?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:02:48 PM by mig »

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »

1) A router doesn't have DNS. It' has DNS servers. On the WAN and they're not going to know what your Ip=DNS name res is.
2) It's NETbios, I have no clue. I don't really work with Mac.

Lets see if I can get someone that knows more then me about it.

oh Eddie.....?
Pages: 1 [2] 3