• April 24, 2024, 06:19:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Second hand DNS-320L  (Read 1820 times)

sgranjeiro

• Level 1 Member
Second hand DNS-320L
« on: January 16, 2018, 04:12:48 AM »

Hi,

First of all I would like to say that I've seen and read many of posts here and they where very helpful but I have some questions.
Thanks in advance.

I'm about to buy a DNS-320L in second hand and I'm having some doubts.
1 - The problem is that the person selling it has the product registered in his d-link account and has online access to the NAS. Can I remove his access after I have the equipment in my possession?
2 - If I am able to remove his access, he has the activation code to register the product. After I I have the NAS, how can I change the code so that the person who sold it can't add my NAS to his account and access all my information.

About this next section I read that all I want to do is possible but If someone could confirm it would be very nice.
3 - I was mislead by another product from other seller with a cloud base storage... I would like to know if the NAS works as a regular NAS. Can I create users and user groups that have local access (LAN) and remote access (WAN - Internet) to the files according to the access policies configured in the NAS?
4 - Can I set a static local IP and access the NAS from my LAN using nothing else but windows explorer through a mapped network drive (No need to install third party drivers just type IP and connect to NAS using windows explorer)?
5 - And finally using Android  can I with an explorer access my files?

Thank you very much

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Second hand DNS-320L
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 07:21:10 AM »

I recommend looking at the manual to get an idea of features --> ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/PRODUCTS/DNS-320L/REVA/DNS-320L_REVA_MANUAL_1.30_EN_US.PDF

Also D-Link Canada has some FAQs regarding your questions (use internet explorer)  - http://support.dlink.ca/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DNS-320L - 2nd page

To answer your questions:

1 and 2 - Do a hard reset (paperclip in the reset hole for 10 seconds). This will unregister the NAS with his account. Once you register it, it is yours. Even though he may have the mydlink ID, he cannot over-ride it and put it on his account or view any information from your account.

TBH I am no expert on NAS units so if other forum users can give better answers or add-ons that will help...

3 - yes for the most part. You can create groups which you give permissions to folders on the NAS, then create users and assigned them to the group. For access from the Internet it is best to configure the NAS as a ftp server.

4 - yes. You can map a drive to folders on the NAS and use internet explorer.

5 - You can use the mydlink lite app or mydlink access-NAS app for android.

sgranjeiro

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 11:53:44 AM »

Thank you very much for your help. I had read alot here on the forum and in various other websites and i was almost shure what the answers were but as i mentioned i bought a "NAS" and it tirned out to be an expensive  paperweight where you cant Share folders across users, i just wanted to be certain. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 11:56:18 AM by sgranjeiro »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 01:33:38 PM »

Talking about the NAS side of things.  The DNS-320L is essentially the DNS-320 with cloud and enhanced WAN access added in the firmware.

My company setup most of our clients with the DNS-320 as local storage with FTP access to our servers for the nightly backup.  We then supplied the DNS-320L for those clients that needed more storage or had the user base becoming too large for one box.  When I retired last year the company was in the middle of a disk upgrade in the DNS-320L boxes for two clients.

I can't say anything about the MyDlink setup because we never used it with the clients or in our office.  As far as we were concerned cloud storage for sensitive data is a security risk for our clients - I would go as far as saying it can also be a risk for home use (think sensitive photos, several film stars were caught out).

When you get your unit follow the instructions given by GreenBay42 for the reset. 

On setting up the unit make sure that you use a strong password for the administrator (this is the one that guards total access to the unit).  I recommend giving the unit a fixed IP address in your router's subnet (this makes it easy to administer via a web browser).

Read the manual carefully to determine what type of disk array is best for your use, just remember it produces a software RAID and you should start a backup strategy from the start (if you have only one copy of a file it is not backed up).

Other than that any more questions just ask.