• March 29, 2024, 08:33:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DGS-1005 doesn't work (sorry, no correct forum for this)  (Read 6663 times)

Twilly

• Level 1 Member
DGS-1005 doesn't work (sorry, no correct forum for this)
« on: October 13, 2010, 06:52:34 AM »

I have a customer with a Linksys router that wanted to get access to the internet from a few home networked devices (Samsung Blu-ray player in one room, Dish network DVR in another room), as well as continuing to get Internet from his wired computer.  The DSL modem is hooked up correctly to the Linksys router, and the router is connected directly to the computer.  I added a second Cat5e (and tested the run using a Cat5 tester) from the router back to a DGS-1005, which I placed in the structured wiring can.  I tested the Cat5e going from the can to each of the rooms, and everything tested well.  So I hooked each of those into the switch.

Easy install, one would think.  And I was able to get Pandora and Netflix on the Samsung BDP, and I was able to network control the DVR.  But as soon as I would play something on one of these devices, the customer was UNABLE to get internet access on the computer.  If I unplugged the Cat5e from the router to the computer and then plugged it back in, everything would work again for a little while, and then would stop working again.

After testing ALL of the cabling again and replacing some of the cabling "just in case", I finally replaced the DGS-1005 with a DGS-2208.  Now everything works.  So I must have gotten a bad switch, right?  So I took another DGS-1005 (brand new in box), dropped it in instead of the DGS-2208, and the new switch behaves just like the original DGS-1005.

So there's something different in the DGS-1005 from the older versions of the same switch.  Please help me figure this out.  I've always used D-Link switches because they are highly reliable at a good price.  But obviously this scenario isn't working, and I can't afford to make 3 or 4 calls for one measly switch replacement...

redant2u

• Level 2 Member
Re: DGS-1005 doesn't work (sorry, no correct forum for this)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 05:41:34 AM »

I once had a DGS-1005 that told the DGS1216T that it is getting an invalid MAC address, that was about a year ago and till today I have not found what went wrong... checked cables and everything with on luck...
I'm a big D-Link fan but sometimes it just seems stuff happens that can not be explained.... ???

TyantA

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 08:51:09 PM »

I have a friend who has a DGS-1005D set up in his network which has 2 desktops, several laptops, a network printer and a NAS device. The systems that go straight to the router (via wifi or direct wired) have no issues while on occasion there's anything from slow throughput to flat out no access to the NAS for example which goes through the switch.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the switches green states, which is completely unacceptable. Putting in an old 10/100 switch resolved all the issues.

I brought it home for testing and everything seemed fine but strange things eventually creeped up: internet not working while transfers are going, few hundred MB of transfers taking 4+ hours, surfing working but Messenger not able to sign in (while other computers, same account, bypassing the switch connect fine.

Al signs point to the switch... :(
Even worse, I looked at the warranty info to find that if he hadn't registered it within 90 days, the warranty doesn't apply. Seriously!?

He's no the only one with strange issues on this unit after searching the forums. It's hard to diagnose because most of the time, thinks work somewhat sufficiently. I was hoping to find a new firmware or something but have not thus far.

redant2u

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 04:56:24 PM »

I have a DGS-1005 and same thing happened to me the DGS1216T told me the 1005 have a invalid MAC address and i had it swap out now all is fine.

and i must admit our correct on this one...

I'm a big D-Link fan but sometimes it just seems stuff happens that can not be explained.... Huh