• April 25, 2024, 03:09:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Wireless connection transfer speed limitation  (Read 3350 times)

jackson_Ak

• Level 1 Member
Wireless connection transfer speed limitation
« on: August 08, 2009, 07:12:45 PM »

i have DNS connected to uverse router. I tried to copy files from laptop c:\ to DNS-HDD using wireless connection. I have only one 1.5tB drive in DNS. I am getting transfer speed of max 2MB/S is it usual or is there something i can do to increase the speed up.
Sophia

Tank_Killer

• Level 2 Member
Re: Wireless connection transfer speed limitation
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 09:37:10 PM »

That speed is definitly normal over wireless. If you are doing large file transfers,  you will most certainly want a wired connection of some sort.  Even bridges that use your household power outlet wiring (d-link sells products like that) will yeild far better performance than wireless.

Wireless in my house serves only ONE purpose, basic internet connectivity to my laptops (i sill use basic G) all my other devices are wired for speed/reliability.

hoglyf

• Level 2 Member
Re: Wireless connection transfer speed limitation
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 01:15:44 AM »

i have DNS connected to uverse router. I tried to copy files from laptop c:\ to DNS-HDD using wireless connection. I have only one 1.5tB drive in DNS. I am getting transfer speed of max 2MB/S is it usual or is there something i can do to increase the speed up.
Sophia

i have a u-verse 2-wire residential gateway as well.  unfortunately, the uverse router is a real wireless bottleneck using 11g.  so to remedy that i recently got 2 D-link DAP 1522's.  one is wired to the uverse router to serve as an 802.11n access point, and the second one as a bridge that's connected to my HTPC, TV and blu-ray player.

i used to get a wireless transfer speed from the uverse router to my HTPC of around 2.3MBps.  using the DAP 1522 access point my transfer speed now averages around 10.5MBps (it probably would be double that if the uverse router had gigabit ethernet).

in your case, you would probably only need one DAP 1522 to serve as your 802.11n wireless router, assuming that your laptop is 11n capable (if not, you can always get a USB 802.11n adaptor)..  hope this helps.