• March 28, 2024, 09:06:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DIR-615 C wireless is not reliable  (Read 55676 times)

marcelo3d

• Level 1 Member
DIR-615 C wireless is not reliable
« on: October 02, 2009, 12:26:03 PM »

Hi all,

After much fighting with my DIR-615, I took it out of service:
* Wireless network is unreliable. N mode seems to be hunting for the right speed all the time, and transferring little data. I set it to G mode and it is a little better, but still my clients loose packets like crazy. That throws off the corporate VPN client, so can't work with it.
* DHCP is a joke. Sometimes the wireless clients get assigned IPs, sometimes the router refuses to hand them out. I ended using fixed IPs, but that is more work when I go back in the office.

So, as many have done, this goes to the recycle pile. Maybe a FW update will fix it.

Marcelo.-
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 12:28:19 PM by marcelo3d »

argonman

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-615 C wireless is not reliable
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 01:54:17 PM »

I've never had any DHCPD issues on my 615 Hardware C1, Firmware 3.11NA.

I can tell you this though..

I have my xBox 360, Wii, and iPhone that all use wireless.  Granted, I have it assign an IP based on the MAC so in essence the address is reserved, but it is gotten via the DHCPD mechanism, not staticly.  I do think the xbox is static but the others are dynamic and definitely work OK I think.

marcelo3d

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 04:48:53 PM »

After a fresh boot of the router, DHCP will work for a while. After some days, it will not give IPs to wireless hosts. At least in my case.
Did you try N speeds? It seems that it cannot make its mind and keeps hunting for a better rate, but not transterring much data. Setting it to g performs much better.
I can see at least 5 other wireless networks in my neighborhood, so that may confuse it. No other router I had exhibited such problem.
I tried WEP and WPA2. Both behave the same.

genesis

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 07:09:20 AM »

I have a revision B and I sometime get the DHCP warning when I first boot the computer in the living room, but it is very rare. I used DHCP reservation for all the computers including the laptop and it works fine at N speed. The windows wireless icon reports 300 mpbs and I check the wireless status in the router, which shows also 300 mpbs. The speed will vary but never where I will see a difference. The only time things did not go well was a change in the channel. For some odd reason, channel 8 created a real problem, the wireless speed was slow, disconnect, and other problems. Went back to channel one, and no problems.

daviddali

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 07:21:25 AM »

mine is rev. b2. the wireless connection of this unit keep dropping recently. the connection to internet very slow, even it shows signal Excellent.

marcelo3d

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 07:55:55 AM »

I wonder what makes some of the devices work fine and some be useless. Part of it must be the firmware rev. I wish I could go back to 3.01, as 3.11 is much worse (or at least to confirm that feeling).
It may be also related to how "busy" the spectum is. In my case, there are 7 wireless AP I can see. I suspect the DIR is getting confused. The Belkin 11g ($30) I'm currently using has no problem.
Finally, I think this forums are not the place to get the solution to our problem. D-Link support is not reading them, and this is not a configuration issue (I think) and no user will be able to solve it.
My hope is for a firmware update, but is fading rapidly.
I wish I could return mine to the store, but I fought with it for too long, thinking the problems were my fault.
Marcelo.-

genesis

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 05:18:56 PM »

there has not been firmware update in a long time. Plus some of dlink equipment is being made by so many different manufacturer, it becomes confusing.

DWA 130 A1 (can't remember)
DWA 130 B1 railink
DWA 130 C1 Realtek (terrible drivers)
DWA 130 D1 (don't know)

....Next???

you can either get the drivers from dlink, but you can also find newer one on the manufacturer website sometime....confusing ???

marcelo3d

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 09:27:28 AM »

Here are instructions on how to roll back to 3.01.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=5716.msg49401#msg49401

Thanks gerritv!

I'm back to that version now. I'll post results after it runs for a while.
Marcelo.-

marcelo3d

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 12:57:28 PM »

Running 3.01 did not help me. The router would drop the wireless connection for a second or so every 10 minutes. My VPN connection drops. File dowloads stop and may or may not continue.

Back to the Belkin.
M.-

wainbee

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 01:22:14 PM »

Here's a way to make the DIR-615-C1 wireless work to get you on the internet.  This isn't a solution for everybody because it works by bypassing some of the new features of this router.

I have a DIR-615 ver.C1. Followed all instructions and used automatic setups to get initialized.  All 4 wired ports worked great but wireless could not connect, or couldn't renew IP address, or established a "weak" connection with no browser connect.

Next, I updated the firmware from 3.01 to 3.11NA.  Finally got a laptop to connect, ran for about an hour, then, when I fired up a second laptop, I was stunned to see the 1st laptop lose signal and the 2nd pick it up.  Then the 2nd laptop lost it's connection and from then on, neither would work together or alone.  Any engineers or software developers that get a sniff of this suspect one thing: bad code in the firmware!

I've spent days on this product and am convinced that the firmware routines for auto channel scan or auto security mode are not fully tested or simply do not work reliably.

Here's what DOES work though!  Force the router to work on a fixed channel and in a fixed security mode.

1.  Choose Manual Wireless Setup
2.  Disable Wi-Fi Protect
3.  Disable Auto Channel Scan - set to CH. 7
4.  Set security mode to WPA-Personal
5.  Set WPA mode to WPA only
6.  Set Cipher to TKIP
Note: no reserved IP addresses, no MAC address filtering or other fancy features employed

Cheeze Cracker

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 07:51:46 AM »

To those who get X360 drops, are you getting this in your DLINK Statistics > LOGS

Wireless system with Mac address (X360 MAC) disassociate reason 7

?

barosebud

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 07:33:15 AM »

"Wainbee" your post worked for me! After working smoothly for several months, our DLink N router quit working reliably. My husband's Dell laptop (Win7) and my Macbook Pro (10.6.2 - Snow Leopard), on our wireless home network, slow to a stop and dropped internet connections right and left. I stumbled on this forum after days of resetting/reinstalling and testing a myriad of different settings on both laptops and router.  I tried these settings and we can both connect with awesome signal strength, opening multiple webpages without a glitch or slowdown. No drops or lag.

Thanks!

Next I'm headed to my studio in the basement to test my signal strength!

oneny

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 11:05:45 AM »

for those of you looking for a FW update,there is 3.12 beta version on dlink's ftp site(Canadian one)

hrbanana

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 09:05:30 PM »

I've been running more or less stable for over a week with wainbee's settings except for using WPA2/AES & Ch. 8. I did disable the SPI firewall. I'm using H/W C1 & F/W 3.11NA. It is a pity that default settings are so unstable.

Sincere1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 09:27:41 AM »

Thank you Wainbee!  After much dealing with D-Link tech support and nearly a month long delay while exchanging my "defective" unit for a "good" one, I tried your solution while on hold with D-Link tech support today.  I connected immediately!  The first time was as "unsecured", then I promptly turned on security (WPA2 only and AES only), entered a simple security key in the DIR and my laptop, connected again.  I've now gone the next step to a full 63 character key.  I did not disable the SPI firewall.  
THANK YOU!

When the D-Link tech came back on line, I gave him the info and pointed him to this forum.  He read your post, and said he would pass it on, and understood that they need to fix the bug (also that a simple patch could set the default option to "disabled" for now).

BTW: I already had connectivity to my D-Link DSL-2640B modem/wireless router.  I am implementing a two router network, so I can have my young adult son be in the first network (he takes more security risks than I'm comfortable with), then my two machines (desktop & wireless laptop) will be behind the second router (network), protected from the bad things he might let in!  After implementing Wainbee's solution, my laptop easily connected to the DIR-615 in spite of a very strong signal coming from the DSL-2640B (which I will now disable).

Merry Christmas all!!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 09:38:15 AM by Sincere1 »
Pages: [1] 2 3