• March 28, 2024, 02:04:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: multiple vlans and mirroring ports  (Read 4572 times)

dbig

• Level 1 Member
multiple vlans and mirroring ports
« on: September 06, 2010, 11:52:04 AM »

This question is well beyond a dgs-1216t but since my switch is a dgs-1216t, I'll start here.

Basically, I have two networks that I want to manage with my 1216 but keep separate.  A twist to that is that I want to monitor the input traffic going into each network so I have 4 vlans (maybe overkill) configured as follows with the generic names:

isp1 mirror: 1,2
isp1 network: 3,4,5,6,7,8
isp2 mirror: 9,10
isp2 network: 11,12,13,14,15
mirror port: 16

The PVIDs tie 1 and 16 together, 9 and 16 together, the other pvids are simply the vlans themselves.

So this seemed to work for a while but after a day or so, it "locked" up.  I removed the isp2 vlan connections (they have their own dhcp server) and it still did not work. I could hook the isp1 vlans (3,4,5,6,7, and 8) to a dumb switch and it would work so it seems that my configuration is hosing things up somehow.

To be fair, I don't know that much about VLANs but it seems that I want this to help save on switch costs.  I don't know if tagging has anything to do with functionality either.  Any good books/tutorials on the simple stuff?

dbig