• March 29, 2024, 01:27:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Snailpace wireless performance  (Read 7885 times)

maniac2003

• Level 1 Member
Snailpace wireless performance
« on: January 28, 2009, 02:45:54 PM »

We've got the 655 for a while now and it was always fast untill recently. The wireless performance is mediocre and on my new notebook it is just crawling.
The Set-up:
DIR-655 (2nd floor)
       - FW=1.21EU
       - Wireless N only
       - Channel 1 (auto-scan off)
       - 40Mhz band
       - WPA2 AES
PC wired to the router (2nd floor)
PC with a Wireless N PCI Adapter DWA-547 (2nd floor) about 5 meters from the router
Notebook with built-in Intel 5100 + Wireless N ExpressCard Notebook Adapter DWA-643 (3rd floor)

Our broadbandconnection is 24Mbit download and 2,5 Mbit upload.
While on cable the connection is stable and fast ~22Mbit download and ~2Mbit upload.
The wireless PC scores at best 14 Mbit download and 2Mbit upload.
The wireless notebook scores around 1Mbit download and 2Mbit upload. The connection heavily fluctuates sometimes fast but mostly snailpace.

Wireless performance was topnotch untill a week ago. The speed dropped and I can't get it back. Even my old notebook (Intel 4965AGN) wasn't up to speed. Before I downloaded from usenet with 2.8MB/s now I can barely surf around the net.

I tried:
- Switching the Intel 5100 with the Intel 4965AGN
- Wireless N + G
- Buying the Wireless N ExpressCard Notebook Adapter DWA-643
- Resetting the router to factory settings
- Unplugged the Devolo Homeplug (85Mbit)
- Removed our wireless housephone
- Called with D-Link Technical support

At school my notebook (Intel 5100) is steady at 54Mbit, so I still think it has something to do with the router itself.

I'm really clueless what to try next  :'(

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: Snailpace wireless performance
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »

What changed?

Looks like external factors: Did one of your neighbours put his wireles router on a neighbouring/the same channel? Try to set different channels manually.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

maniac2003

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 10:16:06 AM »

This morning all was well again for the wireless PC on the 2nd floor. 22Mbit download.

For my notebook with the Intel 5100 engaged, not even 1Mbit download but it has 2Mbit upload. Why the huge difference in download speed but not in upload speed ?
Signal strength according the router is between 10 and 25% (11Mbit).

Indeed
what changed
?
- New wireless housephones -> makes no difference if I disconnect them.
- New notebook (MSI EX300) -> bought a 'external' expresscard without much improvement
Could it be that the MSI notebook has a Magnesium-Alloy body ?

Only 1 other wireless network is detected in the neighbourhood and I do not see it always.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 08:03:42 AM »

The only suggestion I can make is to play around with the antennas ánd with the position (which room) of the router itself.

wiak

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 11:22:13 PM »

try a diffrent channel, some channels are better than others, try all the channels and use the one with best speed

sandman

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 12:55:21 AM »

Only 1 other wireless network is detected in the neighbourhood and I do not see it always.

Could be there is a new network in your area with a hidden SSID, so trying different channels would be a good step.
ASUS RT-N56U
"I Love Deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
               Douglas Adams

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 03:55:50 AM »

There are a lot of complaints about the INtel 5100 wireless chipset (Belkin, Linksys etc)... have you tried another make wireless card/set up?

maniac2003

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 06:24:49 AM »

Whoa long time not been here, busy busy.

Well I tried my old Intel 4965AGN from my old notebook, performance was also slow.
The other channel hint I already discussed with the tech support of D-Link, also this brought no clear improvement.

For now I pulled a Cat5e cable trough the floor, that's a great remedy  ;D
Speeds are up and down, sometimes great sometimes not. What I really notice is that my wireless performance down in the livingroom is a bit odd.
old situation:
(25Mbit down, 2.5Mbit upload) -> I get 8Mbit down, 2 up when running one of the speedtests
new situation:
(60Mbit down, 6Mbit) -> again I get 8Mbit download and here it comes 3.x upload  ???
So the download stays the same but upload does increase, bit weird in my opinion.

On wire BTW I get 56Mbit download and 4Mbit upload (with my brother playing Halo 3), not bad eh  :D