• April 26, 2024, 12:55:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: only one computer will connect wirelessly (newbie, help!)  (Read 5673 times)

11eleven

• Level 1 Member
only one computer will connect wirelessly (newbie, help!)
« on: April 27, 2010, 05:28:28 AM »

Basic info:
I have time warner cable internet (road runner).
We just moved houses, and neither of us are experts when it comes to wireless networks. at the old house it was all set up and everything could connect to it, as long as we put in the wpa2 key. we probably had at least 8 devices that could connect to it. I thought I could just plug in the router at the new house, and it would work again, obviously wrong. the laptop would connect to the network but have no internet. I used the disk that came with the router and re set it up, and this computer that I'm using is the ONLY thing that will connect to it wirelessly. We have an xbox 360 and ps3 hardwired into the router. This laptop connected automatically. We have 2 iphones, another laptop, and another xbox 360 that previously all connected fine, now won't connect. the iphones just say "unable to connect to network". the laptop tries to connect forever and then says "can't connect". i re-entered the wpa2 key on everything. I just don't get what I can do to get everything else to connect. obviously SOMETHING is working if i'm online on this laptop now. help please!!

dirkpitt

• Level 3 Member
Re: only one computer will connect wirelessly (newbie, help!)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 09:27:33 AM »

Are you sure that the computer that has connected wirelessly has connected to your network?
DIR-655 H/W A4, Firmware 1.34NAb02 beta

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 09:54:42 AM »

Are you sure that the computer that has connected wirelessly has connected to your network?

Ouch!

dirkpitt

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 11:05:33 AM »

I'm not intentionally trying to flame anyone here--this is a situation that I've encountered before:  the home wireless network isn't running, and the nearest non-secure wireless network is selected. 

As the thread title says:  "newbie, help!".

Just throwing out a possible cause...   :)

11eleven

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 03:08:06 PM »

yes, I'm sure. i don't understand everything, but i'm not THAT new.

dirkpitt

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 07:46:24 AM »

I've done some editing in an attempt to clarify your situation:
1. One laptop will connect to the network but have no internet.
2. xbox 360 and ps3 hardwired into the router.
3. One laptop connected automatically (the ONLY thing that will connect to it wirelessly)
4. There are also 2 iphones, another laptop, and another xbox 360 that previously all connected fine, now won't connect.

Do the hardwired items in point 2 above have internet connectivity?
Is the laptop in point 1 the same laptop mentioned in point 4?
Are all of the items in point 4 unable to connect?
Is there a chance that you have the laptop in point 3 configured to be in the DMZ?

11eleven

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 06:11:56 PM »

I've done some editing in an attempt to clarify your situation:
Do the hardwired items in point 2 above have internet connectivity?
Is the laptop in point 1 the same laptop mentioned in point 4?
Are all of the items in point 4 unable to connect?
Is there a chance that you have the laptop in point 3 configured to be in the DMZ?

what's DMZ?

what I ended up doing was resetting the router, and renaming the network and getting a new wpa2 code, and now everything connected quickly. thanks for reading :)