• April 26, 2024, 05:58:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Wi-Fi Bridge for 655?  (Read 6481 times)

wolfrunner

• Level 1 Member
Wi-Fi Bridge for 655?
« on: August 16, 2009, 12:58:15 PM »

Looking around trying to fig. how to get better wireless coverage 160 feet and upstairs from my DIR-655 wireless router. The family is growing with computer/ internet dependant products and I'd like to keep'em happy. Specifically, my wife's laptop and kids' iPod Touch devices. Do I need a new router that beats the range now of the 655? I'm limited in whee I can move my 655 around downstairs as I also have a IP Phone hardware router attached to the cable modem as well. Thinki' of runnin' the ethernet cables upstairs and putting the 655 up there then running Ethernet cables down to the computers (2) that are presently ethernet wired to the 655. You'll need a map to figure what I'm talking about, right? But, the simplest way it seems to me is to get an extender or repeater that transfers the signal. I have already been to Best Buy and got the wrong item and returned. What to do?

tbalough

• Level 1 Member
Re: Wi-Fi Bridge for 655?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 06:11:39 PM »

I use a Dlink DAP-1522 (as a bridge) for my wired computers and the DIR-655 for the wireless. This might work for you if you are moving the DIR-655 upstairs.

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 07:27:40 PM »

Looking around trying to fig. how to get better wireless coverage 160 feet and upstairs from my DIR-655 wireless router. The family is growing with computer/ internet dependant products and I'd like to keep'em happy. Specifically, my wife's laptop and kids' iPod Touch devices. Do I need a new router that beats the range now of the 655? I'm limited in whee I can move my 655 around downstairs as I also have a IP Phone hardware router attached to the cable modem as well. Thinki' of runnin' the ethernet cables upstairs and putting the 655 up there then running Ethernet cables down to the computers (2) that are presently ethernet wired to the 655. You'll need a map to figure what I'm talking about, right? But, the simplest way it seems to me is to get an extender or repeater that transfers the signal. I have already been to Best Buy and got the wrong item and returned. What to do?
"I also have a IP Phone hardware router attached to the cable modem " I'm not familiar with the IP Phnoe Hardware but is it in front of the Dir 655?

rlcronin

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 12:39:45 PM »

I use SMCWEB-N's for this purpose. I also tried a DAP-1522, but due to its lack of external antennas and my inability to locate it in a better spot, I never did get a satisfactory signal. The SMC units have 3 antennas and work a lot better for me (and on a positive note, they are also Ubicom-based, like the DIR-655, so compatability is excellent).

opensecret

• Level 1 Member
655 as a bridge?
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 07:27:58 PM »

I saw a post somewhere that says the DAP-1555 bridge/access point is actually a kind of crippled 655, and I would not be surprised if that is true of the 1522 as well.  That causes me to wonder: can the 655 be configured as a bridge?  I know how to configure it as a wired access point, and it works fine for that purpose.  Making it into a bridge needs a way to shift gears from forward to reverse so that the antennas are used as receivers rather than transmitters.  Can that be done?

Circus_boi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 11:45:57 AM »

I use a Dlink DAP-1522 (as a bridge) for my wired computers and the DIR-655 for the wireless. This might work for you if you are moving the DIR-655 upstairs.

Hi all:

I have a similar question.  I have the 655 connected to the cable outlet now (in a room near the front of the house).  We have two laptops in the house and within the house, the connection generally works quite well.  However, once I get to the backyard, I can hardly connect at all (brick walls and distance, undoubtedly).  I can't move the 655 due to outlet positions, so my question is, can I use a cheap-o DLink router as an extender?  For example, a 615 is around $40 to $50 these days, so if that works (and it's an N-router as well), that would be great, but I have no idea is a 615 can serve this function and if there are pitfalls (i.e. much lower speed throughout the house) as a result of such a set up?

Many thanks in advance for any opinions/options/advice!