• April 15, 2024, 09:17:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Secured Wireless Router  (Read 4307 times)

Newport_j

• Level 1 Member
Secured Wireless Router
« on: July 26, 2010, 07:02:57 AM »

I set up my DIR 615 router up this winter then I used it for awhile then I stopped. I was out of town a lot then. Now I am back to using it, but it seems to access the wireless capability easily. Too easily. When I bought my wife a new laptop this week-end and we were setting it up in our house and got to the wireless section and it said there was an unsecured D-LINK router connection available. That set off alarms. 

How using my original computer that I set up the DIR-615 router on., can I check to see if the connection is secured on not?

Newport_j

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
Re: Secured Wireless Router
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:00:59 AM »

Secured wireless networking mean you are using the WEP (less secure,) WPA (better than WEP) or WPA2 (best at the moment) wireless security.  Connect to the router via an Ethernet wire and access the router's internal web pages.  There would be a Wireless network section.  Adjust as needed.

Newport_j

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 12:37:45 PM »

Okay, that seems reasonable, but when I tried to find the D-LINK software on my computer  (that is physically connected to my wireless D-LINK router) - I could not. It has to be there, because it seems to be broadcasting to my second computer ( a laptop) , but where is the software? There were no icons in any of the program's list.

Newport_j

stonetownmike

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 04:19:11 PM »

The d-link firmware is stored on the router, not on your computer. Type http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar of your web browser, hit enter and the router's admin page should load up.

Newport_j

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 01:16:02 PM »

Okay, can something like aircrack-ng (I may have misspelled a word) help me? I need to find the pasword and the very long authorization key that was setup when I originally installed the D-Link 615 software on the router.

It seems that this software requires a lot of answers to questions that are not apparent. The best way to find what I want is a password cracking program.

Newport_j

stonetownmike

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 03:34:16 PM »

You can reset your router to factory defaults, including the security settings. Here's the hard reset procedure from the DIR-615 Rev C manual:

"To reset the router, locate the reset button (hole) on the rear panel of the unit. With the router powered on, use a paperclip to hold the button down for 10 seconds. Release the button and the router will go through its reboot process. Wait about 30 seconds to access the router. The default IP address is 192.168.0.1. When logging in, the username is admin and leave the password box empty."

Newport_j

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 12:14:06 PM »

Using this D-Link router, how can I find out if anyone else is on my system- uisng my bandwidth.

What is the command(s) to check this?

Newport_j