D-Link FAQ > Router FAQs

Achiveing OPEN NAT in game with two or more game console online at same time

<< < (2/16) > >>

FurryNutz:
This issue maybe MS and 1st generation XB1 related as one user mentioned he found information pointing towards uPnP issues seen on 1st generation XB1s.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/upnp-multiple-xbox-one-gaming-consoles-nat.35324/page-6#post-300859

Over all, there maybe issues with uPnP seen on MS XB1 consoles and various Mfr routers. At most, I've been able to achieve OPEN NAT on xbox dash board and in game (CoD BO3) with 2 and 3 XB1s online at the same time using D-Links DIR-655 and DGL-4500. Newer generation routers like the DIR-890L and 880L, I seem to have more problems achieving OPEN NAT in GAME and feel this maybe more of a in game detection issue rather than a router or uPnP issue. Newer generation DIR series routers have more simplified QoS configurations where older DIR series have more granular or advanced user configurations allowing users to configure more advanced scenarios in there configurations which may also play a role.

I believe there maybe a few different areas that are at play here, i.e. NAT configuration, router configuration, router and game console uPnP code and handling when there are two or more game consoles online at the same time. One game console isn't effected unless ISP service and modem NAT are at play while using a external router. Single game console and single ISP NAT configurations most always results in OPEN NAT on xbox dashboard and in game (CoD BO3).
ISP modem (stand alone, no built in router)>External main host router(DIR series)<>xbox game console(s) connected to main host router.

I've come to the conclusion that NAT status needs to be reviewed at the xbox networking dashboard first and foremost and should be considered high priority status over any in game NAT status. NAT status impacts connections in game and how the gamers are connected and operate with games that are multi gamer match made and how gamers get into gaming lobbies and interact with other gamers around the world. It can also effect gamer in game performances as well. I've seen bad lobby's were team mates have problems joining the lobby and or not being able to talk to others while in the lobby or in game when NAT is Moderate or Strict seen on the xbox network dashboard and in game.

ndcnick2000:
I have been fighting this issues for the past several years, I have 5 kids all boys and they all have their own xbox, I also play so we have a total of 6 xbox ones on my network

A little history, I am an audio video tech, I deal with networking all the time, I have even done work for a service provider, so I was having a conversation with a tech at the headquarters and he told me that the modem blocks the NAT and there is nothing that we can do to change it

I have purchased a ton of network equipment to fix the issue with no luck.... UNTIL NOW!!!!

I had ATT uverse 75mbs down and no matter what I could not get open NAT on more than one xbox I even purchased the new netgear s8000 gaming router and no luck

in a last ditch attempt to keep my sanity and after hours yelling on the phone with ATT and refusing to purchase a block of IP address I gave up and canceled my service.. I called Suddenlink and purchased the 400mbs service and I bought a netgear modem off of amazon BAM open NAT on 6 xbox ones at the same time

the trick is that the netgear modem is just a point of access to the internet with no firewalls or filters, the D-Link has the power to do the rest..

my setup

suddenlink 400mb service
D-Link DIR-890l connected directly to the Netgear CM700
I have a D-link 16 port gigabit switch connected to the D-Link router and all of the xbox ones wired to it

it works and I have had it for about a month

FurryNutz:
Link>Welcome!

* What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under the router case.
* Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
* What region are you located?

Wow, a house hold with  6 xbox game consoles. Nice. Ya I would bet you had a hell of a time. I know I have over the years with two and three.

I'm old school audio phile and tech and now professional test engineer.  ;)

So one thing that sticks out with you situation, you said your previous ISP Modem was a ATT Uverse. This is important, these modems have a built in router. So connecting any other external router to this modem will cause NAT issues. We call this "double NAT" condition. I some cases some ISP modems can be bridged thus disabling the router portion of the modem however most ATT Uverse modems can't be. So I presume that when you got your new NG CM700 modem, you do know that this modem modem doesn't have a router built in, which is preferred. So when you got it all connected up, you are now in a single NAT condition which is preferred for any game console. Any why now you gat OPEN NAT on all game consoles. 

So there are two NAT statuses that you need to be aware of on the xbox, Dashboard and In-game. Dashboard being the most important. Is Open NAT being seen on all 6 consoles on there Dashboards? In-game NAT is the NAT status that the game detects as well. We've found this status to be a bit more problematic and not as accurate as the Dashboard NAT status. I've seen problems getting In-game OPEN NAT here and there. Some of this is caused by the network adapter and configuration on the game console. The one time I had 3 XB1s under one roof was last year, and had to use a older DIR series model router to get OPEN NAT across 3 consoles for In-game NAT status using this configuration for BO3:
Gaming and QoS for XBL
This is one NAT situtation with same game being played across all game consoles.

Question, how do you have your 890L setup and configured with all 6 XB1s? Any QoS configurations done here or no?
What games are being played. Any same name games being played at the same time like BO3?
Also FYI, about our NG CM700, This is a Intel based modem. Puma 6 to be exact. There has been some issues reported with this chip set over on the dslReports site:
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31079834-ALL-SB6190-is-a-terrible-modem-Intel-Puma-6-MaxLinear-mistake
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31340594-ALL-SB6190-and-CM700-latency-fix-firmware-ready-to-test

The issue is being addressed by Arris and Intel and from what I can tell, NG however they are less vocal about it.

Definitely like your feed back and hope we can discuss this more with you. Any and all information regarding more than one game console is helpful.
Glad it's working for you though.  ;)

FurryNutz:
Summary - Some games have in game NAT reporting conditions for best performance and optimal lobby experiences with gaming and playing with other remote players. When Moderate or Strict NAT is seen, players have a hard time getting joining lobbies with other players they want to play with and in game experiences may suffer and not be as well as with OPEN NAT. Moderate or Strict NAT is a bad thing for gamers.

This is a test process that shows how In Game NAT status changes depending on which game console and game is loaded first. Regardless of how QoS is configured, with or with out.

DIR-890L with V1.11 B02 Beta loaded fresh and clean factory reset.
Wired Laptop using IE11 and no other devices connected to the router. Just Laptop and 2 xbox ones connected via LAN cable.
IP address reservations set for each game console. .198 and .199.
No QoS configured accept for isp speed.
Xboxes have Instant ON disabled as this is a known issue to cause connection and NAT problems.
Game tested - CoD Black Ops 3
uPnP enabled and NO Port Forwarding rules enabled.

Turn on XBox 1 gets OPEN NAT in dash board and in game
Turn on XBox 2 gets OPEN NAT in dash board and Moderate NAT in game.

Soft Power off both xboxes then,
Turn on XBox 2 gets open NAT in dash and Moderate NAT in game. Exited the game then restarted the game to see if NAT status changed. Still Moderate NAT in game. Leave ON.
Turn on XBox 1 gets OPEN NAT in dash board and in game.
Turn off both xboxes using hard power off and reboot the router.

Turn on XBox 2 first and OPEN NAT in dash board and in game.
Turn on XBox 1 2nd and OPEN NAT in dash baord and Moderate nat in game.
Hard power off both xboxes.

Configure QoS for application feature and set Gaming as highest priority. Save settings and full reboot router.

Turn on XBox 1 first and OPEN NAT in dash board and in game.
Turn on XBox 2 2nd and OPEN NAT in dash board and Moderate NAT in game.

Hard power off both xboxes.

I skipped going back and turning on xbox 2 then xbox 1 as I presume we would see the NAT change to OPEN across the board for XBox 2 and see Moderate NAT in game for Xbox 1 as I already tested this swap of turning them on and saw the Moderate NAT mode to the other xbox.

Configure QoS by Device feature. Setting both xboxes in the high priority section. Save settings and full reboot the router.

Turn on XBox 1 and OPEN NAT in dash board and in game.
Turn on Xbox 2 and OPEN NAT in dash board and Moderate NAT in game. Exited the game then restarted the game to see if any thing changed. Moderate NAT still in game.

Hard Power off both xboxes.
Full reboot of router.

Turn on xbox 2 and OPEN NAT in dash board and in game.
Turn on xbox 1 and OPEN NAT in dash board and Moderate NAT in game.

Hard power off both xboxes. Full reboot of router.
Turn on xbox 1 and OPEN NAT in dash board.
Turn on xbox 2 and OPEN NAT in dash board.
Load game and check NAT on XBox 1 and OPEN NAT.
Load game and check NAT on Xbox 2 and Moderate NAT.

I've seen this behavior ever since the new UI with the DIR-880L came out and have not been able to achieve OPEN NAT in game with tow or more game consoles connected to the same router all playing the same game with the newer generation routers. I believe there is a design issue with uPnP and how it behaves when two or more game consoles are connected and come online when turned on.  I have been able to get OPEN NAT in game with two or more game consoles playing the same game with older DIR/DGL series routers and a non D-Link Mfr'd router with just using uPnP and no Port Forwarding configurations. So I believe this is possible technically and I'm hoping that D-Link can review this and delve into this and see if this can be corrected in FW for there newer generation routers. Not being able to achieve OPEN NAT in game for two or more game consoles playing the same game or even different can be a factor in some router usage and could lead some gamers to use other routers that can support two or more game consoles while playing the same game. This is the main reason why I haven't been using the 880L and 890L as a main router due to this reason when I have two or more game consoles online at the same time. I would like to see this resolved finally.

I hope I can be of help in gathering more troubleshooting data if needed.

Thank you.

FurryNutz:
Got some info from D-Link yesterday and today.
"-This thread kinda explains how UPnP works with Xbox one and so far it is a known bug.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=931438

-Here is another thread with PS4 with the same issue.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1116370

Have you tried Virtual server? set internal port the same but external port to some other number.

Example:
Name: xbox1
Local IP: 192.168.0.11
Protocol: Both
External: 3076
Internal port : 3074

Name: xbox2
Local IP: 192.168.0.12
Protocol: Both
External: 3075
Internal port : 3074?

Yesterday was to enable Virtual Server on the DIR-890L and configure each xbox for external virtual ports and same 3074 internal ports using BOTH protocols.
Test results of that.
Test VS configurations:
DNS relay disabled upon initial set up of router after loading new FW.
XB1 OPEN NAT on dashboard, Moderate NAT in game.
Hard power off xbox and power cycled router.
Hard power off XB1 to off.
Power cycled router.
XB2 OPEN NAT on dashboard, Moderate NAT in game.
Hard power off both Xboxes

DNS relay enabled and reboot of router:
XB2 OPEN NAT on dashboard, Moderate NAT in game.

DNS Relay enabled and uPnP disabled with reboot of router:
XB1 Strict NAT on dashboard, Moderate NAT in game.
XB2 Strict NAT on dashboard, Moderate NAT in game.

Today I got more information on adding more ports to VS:
"Apply the static port mappings with UPnP disabled. You may need to map more ports as required by Xbox Live.
TCP: 53, 80, 3074.
UDP: 53, 88, 500, 3074, 3544, 4500."
Waiting on how to exactly use this in the VS Ui to ensure this is being set up correctly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version