• April 25, 2024, 09:02:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Port Forwarding doesn't work and tech support is not helping  (Read 55021 times)

Fearreality

• Level 2 Member
Re: Port Forwarding doesn't work and tech support is not helping
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 12:10:29 AM »

This is very irritating. I first purchased a DIR-655 (hw v1) which was crap as it never took a solid firmware upgrade. I waited it out because I thought "how long could they possible continue to push out bad upgrades". I posted in the original forums and sent e-mail to which I never received responses. I tried to be as thorough as possible. Finally after only 2 years of having that router, the port my phone was attached to burned out.
  Now to the router at hand. I purchased this router for almost 200 dollars retail (I know I know, I needed it now) and I brought it home to find there were HTML errors in the config pages and d-link already had an update (1.12). Now my router says Sup for september on the OLED screen and I can no longer host my games. This is crap. I didn't spend that much money so I can loose business. I should have learned after the first router; but I guess I was hoping a router, with so many options in the configurations, would become solid at some point in my life. so here I am ... I cannot take my router back and it is useful only as an anchor. WTF. Also note the guest access added in one of the later Firmware upgrades on the DIR didn't exist in the DGL-4500.
  As for the port forwarding problem, try changing 'allow all' to 'deny all' in the port configuration. I was able to get Teamspeak and Unreal Tournament to run again this way. Unfortunately I was unable to get older games like Rune to work. The only way I am able to host Rune is on a DMZ. Like I want to open the whole PC. I even tried disabling anti spoofing (which caused problems on the older DIR-655) and I even disabled the SPI firewall.
  Any news D-Link or should I count my losses and go back to netgear. I realize their configuration isn't as extensive but at least they worked.

Fearreality

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 05:11:25 PM »

Let me just state for the record i don't go around using foul language in forums... the two "[exploitive deleted]"s were merely the word **** . Thanks

jberek

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 05:45:23 PM »

Did you try the 1.13 firmware? It is not fixed, but it is a little better. My ports seem to start forwarding on their own after a few hours.

Fearreality

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 07:06:14 PM »

I just upgraded to the 1.13 beta a little bit ago and I just finished inputting all of my settings manually. The ports weren't forwarding so I tried the "Deny All" fix and UT GOTY started forwarding immediately. I will change them back to "Allow All" and see, if after a couple hours, the other servers are working. Thanks for your reply.

Fearreality

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 07:44:44 AM »

As an update; The new beta firmware seems exactly the same except for the added USB support (I still have Sup for September). I waited about 4 hours and the ports still would not forward. I changed the "allow all" back to "deny all" and UT came right up. Rune is still down though.
  For a more thorough test I tried disabling the following: SPI Firewall, Anti-Spoof checking, Game Fuel, dynamic fragmentation, WISH, UPnP, Multicast streams, access control, and remote access. I also removed my special apps, web filters, inbound filters, MAC Filters, and wireless encryption. I then removed the checks in all the ALG config items and changed the NAT filtering to endpoint independent on both TCP and UDP. Still no go. I know I may have come across abrupt but I am very frustrated at the fact I have now wasted so much time and money into these products only to have them fall short of what they are capable of doing (not to mention what they SHOULD be doing). If anyone from D-Link has any answers at all, I would appreciate the time for a reply. I do understand I am posting in a beta forum and as such not all functionality will work but I am here because the official 1.12 broke the router and I was/am willing to try anything. I have had this router three weeks and it only worked the first one. I also know you have plenty of people running packet sniffers and diagnostics, but if you need any more info, let me know. In the meantime I will try to re-flash with 1.12 and then do a factory reset before updating to 1.13 beta 2 again.

Fearreality

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 09:03:44 AM »

Another update / clarification.... The "Virtual Server" ports work perfectly. The port forwarding in question is the "Gaming Rule" section.

Fearreality

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 12:01:48 PM »

OK so final update on my 4500 saga.
It seems our problem is in the Game Fuel engine. If I do not have a rule assigned and/or I have GameFuel turned off completely, the ports will not be forwarded unless I "Deny All". Even with that, all the ports are not forwarded appropriately.
  To fix this bug I had to turn ON GameFuel, create a GameFuel Rule, and then change the "Deny All" back to "Allow All". Please see below for the settings I used on the rule. Of course I am assuming you have 192.168.1.1 set on the router with DHCP and you want every port to have a very high priority  :P. You can customize it to your needs or even utilize the GameFuel engine and create multiple rules. I know setting up GameFuel rules has been covered before, I am only putting my settings as this fixed my problem. If Lycan or another D-Link rep has the link readily available, please post. Thanks.

Enable : checked
Name : All PCs
Priority : 1  (1..255, 255 is the lowest priority)
Protocol : 257  <<  Both
Local IP Range : 192.168.1.1  to  192.168.1.254
Local Port Range : 0  to  65535
Remote IP Range : 0.0.0.0  to  255.255.255.255
Remote Port Range : 0  to  65535
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 01:53:07 PM by Fearreality »

Fearreality

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 06:23:05 AM »

Never ending! Since there is no feedback from the forum community on this thread I figure I will document my findings. Since creating the rule and turning on GameFuel my older games have started working again and it "Seemed" like everything was good. Well...now Unreal Tournament will not work. And "Deny All" will not fix it. I also tried turning off all the firewall stuff and it made no difference. I also waited over 4 hours and the ports will not allow incoming traffic for UT. If there is any hope out there, I would love to have a little.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 09:08:03 AM »

We need a packet capture to really diagnose this.
To me it sounds like the router is just acting flakey.
Is there anything in the log that reflects the blocked ports?

Fearreality

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 09:39:21 AM »

As soon as I get home around 5:30pm EST, I will bring down my whole network and bring up only one game server with UT. I'll run WireShark and get a packet capture going. I will also save the router log. Just as a side note, the router seems stable in what it's doing. It will always block the ports that aren't working and it will always allow the ports that are. The problems with the GameFuel are replicable. I re-imaged with the 1.13 beta (re-downloaded first) and set up the Game Rules for the UT servers and had to turn on GameFuel and set a rule for it to work. There is also an issue with it rebooting every so often on its own. Does it still seem like a flakey router; if so should I just take it back. My only issue with that is the new router i get will probably have newer firmware on it. When I first got the router with 1.02 on it, it worked fine. Please let me know if the WireShark logs and router logs will be enough.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 09:41:49 AM »

Yea, that should do the trick.
I'm curious to see whats causing this. I've reported it to PM and they are unable to replicate the issue. I'd wager that the problem is specfic to that game or games based on that server engine.
I've heard of issues with COD2/4 and Counterstrike.

Fearreality

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 07:39:59 AM »

I know I was going to get some logs together for you (and I still will). I went home last night and wanted to try out everything before taking down my network.

Here is what I found:
- The Teamspeak servers will not allow the UDP sessions while I CAN attach to their web servers.
- Same thing goes for Unreal Tournament. On my UT server the games load fine; I can connect to the server through the LAN and the client PCs can query the master server, but the master server cannot query my servers through UDP (even though more than enough ports are open). I can, however, get into the web configuration for UT and even send the restart commands.
- Xbox Live will not connect to the UDP sessions. I can connect the Xbox to the router, it has great signal, passes DNS and ICMP, but fails on connect to Xbox live.

With all the tests I ran last night I did not have time to load up WireShark. But I have found it seems like UDP is the culprit. The only hole in that theory is that Rune (uses older Unreal engine) still connects UDP. Now I turned off SPI, anti-spoof check, and changed NAT to endpoint independant. I still received the same outcome.
  Once I get some logs together i will post them. But please bear in mind I have had this router almost 30 days and I'm probably going to take it back and get a different brand. I am loosing money with some of the stuff that isn't working and I am risking missing out on the exchange period. I would wait for new firmware but you have told me they can't replicate our problems so that to me says they aren't working on fixes for this stuff. Am I wrong? Should I wait it out? There are just so many other issues beside the servers not listing in the master server list (ie the gamefuel engine not working right).

edit- The Unreal Tournament GOTY edition uses an engine only a little newer than Rune. They both use the same Master server and UDP request setup though
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 07:45:25 AM by Fearreality »

JackUup23

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2008, 12:16:33 PM »

I have a brand new DGL-4500 with 1.02 still on it, when it was on 1.02 port forwarding worked perfect.  I flashed to 1.12 and now it doesnt.  My brother also bought one and his is still on 1.02, his port forwarding works.  So we took his and hooked it up on my network and port forwarding works on my network also with COD4, it has to be something with the firmware and I am not sure why tech support cannot recreate the problem, please get this fixed it is something in the firmware, Thanks

anon

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2008, 01:46:56 PM »

Tech support does know of the problem and is working on a fw to fix it. Just keep checking the forums, when something is ready this will be one of the first places it will appear.

Fearreality

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 01:56:54 PM »

Please see Lycan's message a few posts up. This is were the assumption came from that they couldn't replicate the problem and therefore couldn't make a fix to a non existant problem. But believe me, I am checking every day  (sometimes 4 times a day) for a firmware release (even if it's beta).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6