• April 19, 2024, 11:21:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: No connection to camera outside of WLAN on TinyCam Monitor, but D-Link app works  (Read 10400 times)

andoR

• Level 1 Member

Hi guys,

I have a big problem with my DCS-5222L. I tried EVERYTHING I can find on Google and in various manuals, but nothing works.

Here's my problem:
Everything works fine when I'm in the same WIFI as the camera, but if I want to watch it from home it always says that there's no connection.
I am using the TinyCam Monitor App on my Samsung Smartphone and a DNS adress from dlinkddns.com.
Everything works with the official D-Link+ App, but I have another camera from another manufacturer, so want both cameras in the same app.
The Hostname and password settings are right everywhere (so says google, manuals and the customer service). I enabled port forwarding and DNS on my router with the IP from the cam and so on, everything I could look up is in shape. I entered the IP adress from my cam in the dlinkddns.com account.

So the question is, why does it work with the D-Link App, but not with the TinyCam Monitor? Is there something wrong with my DNS adress or the settings on the dlinkddns page (there aren't many options...).

I don't know much about DNS or cameras so if you need any more details, feel free to ask. I'm thinking about sending the camera back because nobody else could help and it's pretty useless if you have a cam in your office which you can't watch when you're at home.

Thanks in advance!

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic

I also recommend re-posting your question on the following board which has some discussion on third party apps: DCS series Network Cameras
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic

@andoR - check your Private Messages (PM).

andoR

• Level 1 Member

Thank you very much! :)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic

ReverendTed

• Level 3 Member

My first guess would be misconfiguration of the dlinkddns.  Typically, DDNS would be set up in the camera and the camera would report its IP address automatically.  This is why the Dlink App works, registering the camera with MyDlink.com is essentially a dynamic DNS service for the camera.
Your application will need to know the External IP address of the location where your camera is connected, then any devices along that chain will need to forward the appropriate ports along to the camera.
For instance, a common set of connections is the External IP address is held by the Modem, which needs to forward the request to a router, which needs to forward the request to the camera.  (In many settings, though, the modem and router are one and the same.)
If you're on the same network as the camera, the External IP address you'd need to use would be found by (for example) whatismyip.com.

andoR

• Level 1 Member

Thanks for the help. I think this exaclty was the error. I set the IP on the ddns Page to the IP the router has and it worked.

I hope it still works tomorrow because my connection has a dynamic IP... but that's the reason somebody uses a DNS service and should work finde, right? ;)

ReverendTed

• Level 3 Member

I hope it still works tomorrow because my connection has a dynamic IP... but that's the reason somebody uses a DNS service and should work finde, right? ;)
If you had to manually enter the IP address, then it's likely to stop working once your IP changes.
Most DDNS services will be set up on a device (modem, router, camera) to automatically update the service when an IP change is detected.

aidenator

• Level 1 Member

I had this exact same issue. Everything on my DCS-934L was working perfectly on the local network, but nothing would make its way through from outside the network. Turns out I just needed to fill in the "Default Gateway" line in the Manual Network Setup section. I put in my router's IP address there and it worked perfectly afterwards. If you don't know your default gateway, on windows go into Command Prompt and type "ipconfig" and it should list it.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Thanks for this information. Hope it helps future users.
Enjoy.  ;)

I had this exact same issue. Everything on my DCS-934L was working perfectly on the local network, but nothing would make its way through from outside the network. Turns out I just needed to fill in the "Default Gateway" line in the Manual Network Setup section. I put in my router's IP address there and it worked perfectly afterwards. If you don't know your default gateway, on windows go into Command Prompt and type "ipconfig" and it should list it.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.