• April 27, 2024, 03:28:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Completely filled drive not responding  (Read 2934 times)

mastermayhem

• Level 1 Member
Completely filled drive not responding
« on: December 07, 2014, 02:55:00 PM »

I hope that I haven't really messed things up here..

Setup:
DNS-345 4 bay with 2 RAID 1 arrays.
Volume_1 - 2x Western Digital Red 3TB
Volume_2 - 2x Western Digital Red 4TB
PC is Win7 Pro (64bit) if that helps.

Today I was editing some photos and saving them out to a RAID 1 volume (Volume_1) in the DNS-345. I wasn't paying attention to how much space was left as I've been editing weddings a lot lately and those files fill up a drive fast. Anyway, the volume shows as inaccessible a few times, but came right back. When I looked into why, the drive appeared to be completely full. I attempted to cancel the save, but I couldn't. The save failed in Photoshop saying that the disc was unavailable.

I attempted to access the volume and delete some files. I could see the uppermost level of Volume_1 with the Cloud folders as well as my folder (Photography)
I could see and access Volume_2 completely. When I attempted to view the contents of the Volume_1\Photography folder, it would time out. The mapped drive would show as offline in Windows Explorer. It would be unavailable for a few minutes, then reappear with a 0% free space on the icon.

I logged into the WebUI and attempted to use the the File View through the Applications in the UI. It would not let me view anything lower than the "root" of the volume. I powered down through the WebUI multiple times with no change.

I wondered if it had not had the chance to synchronize the array and powered the device down, removed both discs of Volume_2 (just for safety) and the 1st disc of Volume_1. I powered back on and could not see anything at all. I couldn't access the WebUI. It said that Volume_1 was degraded, which I expected, but it wouldn't let em access anything. (at this point, I was just looking to make a backup of the data since my last backup)

I gave it ~15 minutes and without any change, I powered down and removed the 2nd disc of Volume_1. I figured that if anything else, I could get back into the WebUI. When I couldn't do that, I thought that perhaps a "factory reset" would help. So, I read up on doing a factory reset and the possible effect of the data in the RAID arrays. Everything pointed to it being safe. So, I did a factory reset.

I still couldn't get back into the UI. I wondered if there were any required files stored on the 1st Volume, and after a long, agonizing decision making process, I trusted the RAID redundancy and put the 4 discs back in and powered the NAS back on.

That was nearly 4 hours ago. The front panel works, shows 4 drives plugged in, and when I cycle through the menus with the NEXT button, it reads, IP: 0.0.0.0, Version 1.04, Temp: 35c / 95F, Volume_1 Rebuilding Used 99%. The device does not show up on the network, as a device on my router's LAN page at all. This means that I don't have access to Volume_2.

With the RAID array rebuilding, I'm terrified of doing anything else. So... my question(s) are:

What is the chance that I've lost all of the data on Volume_1?

Does it sound like my DNS-345 is irreparably damaged?

Should I just wait and see if it ever finished rebuilding or is there an action that I should take now?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! 

mastermayhem

• Level 1 Member
Re: Completely filled drive not responding
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 06:40:58 PM »

Update: It has now been about 8 hours since the rebuild started. Still no access to the WebUI.

Does anyone know if a rebuild can be successful if there is little to no room left on the drive? Does the filesystem reserve a little overhead for such an occurrence?

mastermayhem

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 07:54:46 PM »

Update:

The rebuild was apparently successful. It says Volume_1 Normal on the front panel. I power cycled it and it still reads as IP Address 0.0.0.0 and says nothing about the 2nd Volume. I powered it off for the night in the hopes of being able to contact D-Link support in the morning.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 01:46:43 PM »

Were you able to obtain support through D-Link telephone support?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

mastermayhem

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 01:25:29 PM »

I contacted D-Link telephone support and through a few hours of back and forth, we determined that the enclosure was defective. They are shipping me a new one (once their yearly inventory is complete).

I couldn't wait for them to send me a replacement, and I would have had to purchase another in time, so I bit the bullet and purchased a new enclosure. My concern now is... How do I get the new enclosure to recognize the data on my existing RAID1 discs? I put one set in, but all that the system offers is to set RAID type and reformat.. I don't want to reformat. Is there a way to tell the system to utilize the current structure without reformatting? These drives came out of a DNS-345 enclosure, why won't they pop right into another one?