• April 27, 2024, 08:55:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Dropbox/Onedrive type functionality possible?  (Read 3839 times)

LeeC2202

• Level 2 Member
Dropbox/Onedrive type functionality possible?
« on: March 11, 2014, 07:54:10 AM »

I have just been having a browse through the manual and these forums, but can't find anything that confirms whether my question is possible or not.

I write a lot of my own applications, and also do some testing for other software companies. Whenever I send installation setups, or testing files/reports to people, I have to rely on email (for smaller files) or OneDrive to share larger files.

Is the DNS-345 capable of adding a file to a specific directory, and to then be able to get a link to that file, that I can email out to specific people? The thing that prompted the question, is that I have just waited an absolute age to upload a 32MB file to OneDrive, via a 10Mb/s upload connection. If I ever have to upload a big file, it's going to be a nightmare.

I do also run my own web/mail server, that I can host files on, but it shuts down overnight, which makes it hard to deal with some companies in Asia, as they are half a day different to us time wise. The DNS-345 uses much less power, so having that on all the time, would be much more economical.

I noticed the websharepro folder, but I can't find it even mentioned in the manual, so I don't know what that is for. What I want just might not be possible, but information just seems thin on the ground.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Dropbox/Onedrive type functionality possible?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 04:30:42 PM »

You could do what we do and use the FTP server for exchanging files.  In our case we use it to allow clients to download updated disk images (up to 1.5GB in size).

You would need to setup permissions correctly and do the necessary port forwarding in your gateway router, but other than that it should do what you want.

LeeC2202

• Level 2 Member
Re: Dropbox/Onedrive type functionality possible?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 04:52:18 PM »

I had considered FTP, but the logistics are a pain. Each company would need isolated areas, to ensure they only had access to their own data, which means setting up multiple accounts/folders/permissions etc... And all of that would need isolating from my own software.

Perhaps this is a task that is just easier to manage via hosting on my webserver.