• March 28, 2024, 06:00:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DGS-1016D DGS-1024D Fanless?  (Read 6097 times)

funkbiscuit

• Level 1 Member
DGS-1016D DGS-1024D Fanless?
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:50:38 PM »

Hello folks,

I've noticed that there are DGS-10xxD switches being offered for sale as fanless.

Does anyone have one of these newer fanless switches and wouldn't mind taking a photo of the inside to show what has changed in order to go fanless please?

Thanks.

FB

TimotiSt

• Level 1 Member
Re: DGS-1016D DGS-1024D Fanless?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:57:56 AM »

Hi,

Of the fanless series, I only worked with the DGS-1216T. Our older ver.B models are with fans (quite noisy), and the new ver.D units come without fans.
Quite a lot of things changed between revisions, judging from the outside (the boxes are under warranty and in production, so i can't open them). I'd guess DLink uses some better-and-improved circuits in the new models, which require less cooling.

My guess would be that if you run your units in a temperature controlled environment, and maybe put a few heatsinks on the chips, you can disconnect the fans on older units. Of course doing so would void your warranty, and is generally not considered a good idea.

Cheers,
Tamas
CCNA, JNCIA, JNCIS, 3DP, but still a llama...